Should I upgrade suggestion/help?
Dec 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

battleaxe

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I currently have Sennheiser HD465 headphones and am thinking about getting a new set of cans. I was looking at the AKG K26P as I have seen favorable reviews for this device. However, on amazon I also noticed there is the AKG K27 for a little less. What would be the differences between these two models, and which is a better all around? I did not see either on the AKG site so I am assuming they have been replaced for newer models which would be what models? Will the newer models be better?

Now the other questions is would I get a better sq out of these compared to my current phones? I would like to switch as my current phones as they are a little larger than I would like these days, and sounds a small bit muffled. But, if if the sq isn't any better or even equal to the models I am looking at then why should I switch. Thank you.

BTW if I do switch I am trying not to go over $55 or so.

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 19
They're slightly over your budget, but the Grado SR-60 is a classic affordable headphone.

The iGrado costs about $50, but I like the SR-60 better. Also, you can find the Sony MDR-V6 refurbished/used around $55. I had a pair of those for years and still think they're pretty good.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions please?

Are you open to buying used or refurbished?

Are you open to buying headphones that fit around the ears instead of on the ears?

And how much over $55 are you willing to extend your budget?

The SR60 sells new for $69 shipped, and the Sony V6 fits around the ears and not on the ears.

I doubt there would be much difference in sound between the K26P and K27. The less expensive one probably would be the better buy. I'm using a modified JBL 410 Reference that used to sell new for ~$20 shipped but is now up to ~$25. It's very similar to those AKG models. I've ordered a Fiio E5 amp to use with it. The JBL + E5 would cost you around $55 shipped. I'm expecting this combo to sound quite fun. I mod my JBL410 to manage its bass the way I like, which is fairly easy and inexpensive to do. I particularly enjoy my JBL with rock and strings oriented classical music. It thumps pretty good when driven well, quite engaging and fun.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 19
IIWU, I'd get either the Senn PX-100, the Creative EP-630, or the Grado SR60. I've owned the AKG K27, and it's just too uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time. The EP-630 offered a similar sound (though with less bass), better isolation, slightly more volume, and much more comfort. I gave the K27 to my sister, and she endured it for a year until I bought us both HD555s. I would not buy either the K27 or K26.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 19
Yeah I would listen to the suggestions about the SR60.

Good thing about the SR60 is that it should last you many years, as even some head-fi users here with far more expensive headphones will still turn to SR60 for their portability and sometimes, just fun listening.

Plenty of good reviews, have fun on your decision.

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #10 of 19
Thank you for the suggestions and all, but the key question I have is with the JBL410/AKG K26/27, and the Grado SR60(specially these as I may go for this one) will they sound better than my current phones?

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Thank you for the suggestions and all, but the key question I have is with the JBL410/AKG K26/27, and the Grado SR60(specially these as I may go for this one) will they sound better than my current phones?

If willing to extend your budget, the SR60 is your safest bet. It's more likely you would find the SR60 to sound better than your current headphones than the JBL/AKG. And, if you don't like the SR60, you could sell it for at least $60. But know this, the SR60 and JBL/AKG sound VERY different. And, the SR60 are open headphones that freely leak sound out, so it would bother others who are near by like on public transportation or in a library. So if that's a concern, you would need closed headphones like the JBL/AKG.

Jan 5, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 19
well my hd465 are kind of leaky also as they also open so that not a real issue to me unless this is worse on the Grado models. So this was never answered though will any of those listed phones be better(or even equal) to what I currently own in terms of all around performance and sq? BTW I listen to a wide variety of stuff.

Also what is the difference between the SR60 and SR80? Thanks.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 19
Well if I saved and waited I could get the SR80 if it is worth it over the SR60 or what I currently own.

What about the sennheiser hd485 or hd515 both are going for about $70 on Amazon. I know the HD485 is a step up to what I currently own so it should be a little better, but what about the hd515? And how what I currently own(HD465) and these two compare to the Grado and AKG line of devices?

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Well if I saved and waited I could get the SR80 if it is worth it over the SR60 or what I currently own.

What about the sennheiser hd485 or hd515 both are going for about $70 on Amazon. I know the HD485 is a step up to what I currently own so it should be a little better, but what about the hd515? And how what I currently own(HD465) and these two compare to the Grado and AKG line of devices?

FWIR, I don't suggest buying a Sennheiser model lower than the HD555. Grado, Sennheiser, and the AKG/JBL models sound different. And how they compare is largely a matter of preference. There are those who would prefer a Sennheiser, those who would prefer a Grado, and others who would prefer an AKG/JBL. I've owned the SR80, HD555, and currently own and prefer a modded JBL 410. However, a majority prefer the HD555, SR60, or SR80 to one of these AKG/JBL models. Most who enjoy the SR60 or SR80 likely would prefer them to any of the Sennheiser models below the HD555. The SR60, SR80, and HD555 sound similar in that they are open headphones. The AKG/JBL models are closed. I only recommend the JBL if modded and amped, and that likely would be my preference with the AKG models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back