Should I upgrade my Sennheiser HD515s?
Oct 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

provoked

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Basically, I want to start using headphones to watch moves and play Xbox in the lounge room. Wife isn't too thrilled with the sounds of war coming from the lounge, so have been using my 515's for this purpose.

Now, as I am a tech geek, and love shiny toys and nice sound, I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to something better. What I'm confused about is what I need to spend to gain any noticeable improvement over this set (which will ultimately determine if I can afford it right now).

I'm definitely looking into a small amp (like a mixamp), however confused about this as I already have a normal amp. However, I assume the surround emulation is the difference here? Also, I have a set of gr07s (my babies, they will be buried with me), and wonder if these will sound better than the 515s over mixamp type device.

Thanks,

B

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Basically, I want to start using headphones to watch moves and play Xbox in the lounge room. Wife isn't too thrilled with the sounds of war coming from the lounge, so have been using my 515's for this purpose.
Now, as I am a tech geek, and love shiny toys and nice sound, I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to something better. What I'm confused about is what I need to spend to gain any noticeable improvement over this set (which will ultimately determine if I can afford it right now).
I'm definitely looking into a small amp (like a mixamp), however confused about this as I already have a normal amp. However, I assume the surround emulation is the difference here? Also, I have a set of gr07s (my babies, they will be buried with me), and wonder if these will sound better than the 515s over mix-amp type device.

Astro Mix-Amp. should easy work with the HD515s
And sell off the HD515 and get some HD558s ($180), or used HD558s off eBay.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 7
I should have probably said hear, not see...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Would I see a substantial difference over the 515s?

I believe the Senn HD515 was designed to work well with unamped or poorly amped connections.
Where as the HD558 will respond better to amplification, the Mix-amp. does offer some amplication.
Also the HD558s uses the same drivers as the HD598
On the HD558 you can remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, which helps the audio quality.
So I do believe you will see audio improvement.
There is a used HD558 up for biding on eBay, current bid is $90.

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks PurpleAngel. Had a look at that ebay listing however they will only post to the U.S. I am from Australia.

Planning on heading into a store today to see how these sound and will base my decision on that.

Thanks for your help.

B

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 7
OK. Went to the local HiFi store, who have the HD558 boxed, as well as dozens of other headphones. However, they wouldn't let me listen to them even with a $300 price tag.

Anyone from Australia know where I could test these out?

It turns out my staff shop where I work sells these for $140!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back