Should I upgrade my headphone from HD600 to AKG K-1000?
Oct 16, 2002 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, here is my question, should I upgrade my headphone from HD600 to AKG K-1000? I have MG-Head OTL to drive my HD600 now, should I spend money to buy another set of headphone? Usually, I use my headphone to play PC game and listen song from my SB Live soundcard.

Thank you

Oct 16, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 27
Okay, first step:

UPGRADE TO A TURTLE BEACH SANTA CRUZ SOUND CARD

Second step:

Stop listening to mp3's

Third step:

If you cant stop listening to mp3's, at least only listen to mp3's that you rip yourself with Exact Audio Copy, LAME @ --alt-preset extreme, and play back with Coolplayer set to cooler wave mapper.

Oct 16, 2002 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 27
I'd even go one step further. Stop listening to music over your computer! Get a decent CD player like Rega Planet 2000, Musical Fidelity A3cd24 or Arcam 9 (I think that's the model number)

Oct 16, 2002 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
Hi all, here is my question, should I upgrade my headphone from HD600 to AKG K-1000? I have MG-Head OTL to drive my HD600 now, should I spend money to buy another set of headphone? Usually, I use my headphone to play PC game and listen song from my SB Live soundcard.

Thank you

The MG Head/HD-600 combo is reportedly a good one. While you may want to try another headphone at some point (although you don't really need to. The weak point of your system is the SBLive, not the MG Head or HD-600), the AKG K-1000 is not one I would recommend for that amp. The K-1000 has the greatest power demand of any dynamic headphone I've got.

Oct 16, 2002 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 27
As others have said, the weak point in your chain is clearly your source. A real CD player will do wonders for your system.

The K1000 would require another amp, and would be one of the worst things on earth to listen to with a computer soundcard
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 27
Thx for all reply!! you guys are nice!!

I should upgrade my soundcard instend of headphone, however, I don't know any good soundcard except SB. Can you guys suggest any good soundcard which I can buy it online and give me the website address? Since I live in a small town in Canada, I don't think I can find any good soundcard in a local store.

Thank you so much

Oct 16, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 27
If you want a better source, you should avoid soundcards altogether. A good external CD player in the same price range will sound MUCH better.

Of course, if you're mainly using MP3s and playing games, a different headphone might be better. After a certain point ($30
wink.gif
), the better the headphone, the worse an MP3-based system will sound.

Oct 16, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 27
I understand what you mean, but I sit beside my computer most of my free time. I just want to have a really powerful sound system when I play game and listen to CD (sometime mp3
biggrin.gif
). So I think a good soundcard will help me to gain some sound quality. Anyone have a good suggestion? (budget is under $350)

P.S please give me the address, so I know where I can buy it.

Thank you

Oct 16, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 27
I have HD580 and MG Head hooked up to my game computer w/ SBLive. I tried getting my dad to use this headphone+amp on his computer but he didn't like the size of the HD580 as he said they were too big. Crazy!

I can say that the SBLive is really crappy compared to my other computer w/ Audiophile 24/96 -> ART DI/O. The difference is night and day. I didn't believe the SBLive was that bad. So I also recommend you upgrade your soundcard.

Oct 16, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 27
I haven't tried this particular solution with SBLive, but it just should work (I DO use it with a Hoontech Digital XG card, but I've also got an external transport on the system as well). Instead of replacing the SDLive, get a digital I/O daughterboard. Hoontech makes one for the SBLive that's less expensive than Creative's (less than $30, IIRC). Run the coax digital output to an ART DI/O (around $127 or so at fullcompass.com). Run the analog output from the DI/O to the MG Head. The DI/O will have a higher voltage signal than the MG Head is used to, which means you'll have to keep the volume control lower, but this should give you a pretty nice digital source. As finance permits, you can modify the DI/O, or have someone like Boldercables do it for you. You could also switch to an external transport, should you desire. This strategy will give you a very nice digital source at reasonable cost, with several potential upgrade paths.

Oct 16, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 27
Even with the Hoontech DB, the SB Live will resample the outgoing digital signal. Although not an ideal solution, it will sound better this way than straight out of the Live.

Practically every sound card resamples outgoing digital audio. I ended up purchasing a M-Audio Delta Dio 2496 after discovering this...

Oct 17, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 27
shivohum, since I'm strictly using digital out, the CardDeluxe isn't that much better to be worth the $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back