Should I upgrade HD 590 to a HD 600?
May 7, 2002 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

venzuel00

100+ Head-Fier
The fact that so many people here owns a pair of HD 600 is really driving me nutts. My question in mind now is: Should I sell my HD 590 and get the HD 600? Hope someone can help

May 7, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 20
No one can really make an accurate recommendation on whether you should upgrade except yourself (preferrably through auditions of both 'phones).

However, with that disclaimer out of the way... GO FOR IT!
biggrin.gif

If the 590's are anything approaching the 580's, the 600's are a discernable step up in terms of transparency and detail. They also benefit from having the best sources that you can afford. I've recently switched from using the MF X-Cans V2 for my 600's to the Sugden Headmaster, and the difference is absolutely amazing. The 'phones now rival and better many of the other "reference" 'phones such as my RS-1's and AKG-K1000's in many areas.

Hope this helps.

May 7, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 20
The 590s are often thought to be lesser phones compared to the 580/600. IMO though, they just produce a really different sound which is energetic/more forward compared to the 580/600. I say get the 600s if money isn't a problem and you are planning to get a decent amp to drive it.

May 7, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 20
The 590's are not a "lesser" headphone. That is propoganda put forth by paranoid 600 owners who feel threatened that the new kid on the block was out to replace their precious 580/600. They are two totally different, though equally great (IMO) sounding headphones.

I for one prefer the 590 sound compared to the 600, but that's just me. I like a brighter, precise sound compared to the 600's "laid back" sound. The point is they are both great headphones.

May 7, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 20
Do not go broke with this HD600 thing. They are not perfect. For the "perfect" phone, they lack serious low end impact. If a $60 Sony can do it, a $400 HD600 should do it. That's real life.

HD600's are SUPERHYPED.

There. That said. I have HD600's.
tongue.gif

BUT, to make them sound like $400 headphones, I had to spend much more than that. You need a good amp. Mine was the MG Head OTL...tolerable. That's almost $400. Then you have to dump the standard headphone cable on the HD600s. That's $100 to $150. (I use Clou Red). So you are talking $900.
Is that sound worth it? Worth $900?????

To be shockingly honest. NO. The setup is not worth $900.
There is better stuff out there, and I ain't selling and buying again.

Keep your 590's. There are better way's to spend your money.
Like sources and electronics.

That said. IT WAS FUN BUYING THE STUFF!!!!
tongue.gif

Now I have to pay for it.
frown.gif

May 7, 2002 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 20
venzuel00,

As I said, I prefer the HD600 to the HD590, but I disagree with the "super hyped" or "paranoid" comments. I had the HD590 for a while before I had a chance to try the HD600. I switched because I liked the HD600 sound better, not because the HD590 were inferior. In fact, for different types of music I even prefer the SR325 over both. But I totally agree with fredpb, to really make the HD600 shine you need to invest in a good amp as well. The cable upgrade is a nice-to-have and may change the characteristics of the HD600, but not a requirement for enjoying the them. If I was in your situation, I would probably keep the HD590 headphones and start thinking about acquiring a headphone amp. This will not only expand your headphone possibilities, but will also improve the HD590 sound as well.

May 7, 2002 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 20
Would there be any noticeable sound difference if I add a TA 4.5 to the HD 590? Or should I get something like the Little or Cosmic? Do you guys recommend the Supreme? Anyway, thanks for your thorough replies.

May 7, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 20
If you are just using a mp3 player, HD600 is total overkill, you will not get a big improvement over the HD590 with just that. An amp won't do much good either since the ipod has no line out, thus you will be reamplifying the signal, which is bad.

If you've auditioned them with the ipod and think they're great, and really want them, go for it, it's all upto you. They sound good out of almost anything, but they're not exactly the drool inducing involving headphones that they can be if used through weak equipment.

To put it simply, spend your money on a better source first, then a dedicated amp (one of JMTs portable amps is a good place to start, or if you're bold and willing to try something new, META42, ask if you want details). If you don't want to deal with that mess and are only interested in using straight out of the ipod, there are other options out there, just ask.
wink.gif

May 7, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by venzuel00
Would there be any noticeable sound difference if I add a TA 4.5 to the HD 590? Or should I get something like the Little or Cosmic? Do you guys recommend the Supreme? Anyway, thanks for your thorough replies.

I have the TAH 4.5 and they do improve the sound stage for the HD590. In fact, the two make a nice pair. I can't comment on the other amps you mentioned because I jumped straight from the TAH to the Maxed Out Home (to minimize upgrades
wink.gif
). You mentioned the IPOD - are you looking for portability? If so, the TAH is my choice since it is light and the Headroom Airbag makes a nice, compact portable package. In fact, they are coming out with an IPOD version in a week or so. Otherwise, I'd look into the Little for a non-portable unit or the Cosmic to meet the needs for both cases. There are also other non-Headroom headphone amp options available as well. You just need to do some searches and research.

May 7, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

For use with the IPOD...................

Yes, a portable amp like the Airhead will help tremendously. Not to mention the Headroom amps (Airheads) are small and well made, and come in an assortment of sound qualities. An Airhead is nice for portable use.

You mentioned the Supreme or Cosmic amps. These things are technically, works of art! Made in the USA, and are of top notch construction and sound. They are big. The battery pack that comes with them holds about 4 D cells. But the sound.....awesome. Plus the Cosmic or Supreme can be used at home easily as a quality headphone amp. I said, Big, but not that big. After all, Headroom sells a bag for the setup, the Traveller, I think.

For home use only, the Little is fine. For portable use the Airhead is fine. The Supreme and Cosmic add class and are both static and portable (with big battery packs).

Consider sound quality too. For just the IPOD, don't get carried away. For home use too, you can add some $$$ for better systems. I have a Total Airhead and have had a Supreme.
I loved the Supreme (but opted for the MG Head OTL). After most mass market asian or third world constructed stuff, the Headroom Amps are beautiful.

If I had the money, I would have a Supreme and Traveller bag for my mp3 jukeboxes. Uh oh. My credit card is whining again.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 20
I have both

If you have an amp (greater than a 4.5V portable one) than the HD600 is a better headphone, albeit not as comfortable, but definitely comfortable enough.
Without an amp the Hd590 is better.

The Hd600 needs power. Most regular headphone jacks on portables and many non-portables are not able to drive the HD600 to it’s potential.
The reason that many people disagree with this assumption is that their headphone jack probably has just enough power to drive them, but not all jacks are up to it I’m afraid; hence the needed amp.

May 7, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by vb1
The Hd600 needs power. Most regular headphone jacks on portables and many non-portables are not able to drive the HD600 to it’s potential.
The reason that many people disagree with this assumption is that their headphone jack probably has just enough power to drive them, but not all jacks are up to it I’m afraid; hence the needed amp.

I think some people are missing the point. It is not a question of volume per se as it is one of fidelity. Amplifying the sound with an external amp from the already badly amplified IPOD headphone out is self-defeating especially for MP3s. It would make much more sense to get something that offers isolation and is easy to drive straight from the IPOD's headphone out.

May 7, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

The fact that so many people here owns a pair of HD 600 is really driving me nutts. My question in mind now is: Should I sell my HD 590 and get the HD 600? Hope someone can help

Depends on your taste. They are very different. Some people (me included) aren't even sure that such a move would be called "upgrading" and not "downgrading"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back