Should I upgrade from Blessing 2 Dusk? Need Advice!
Jan 1, 2022 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bcaulf17

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow Head-Fiers. I'm hoping I can get some direction from y'all on a dilemma. I recently started getting into IEMs, I've had the Blessing 2 Dusk for about five months now. I really like them! At the time though, I couldn't decide if I should jump straight to a U12t, or start off with a Blessing 2 Dusk and decide if I want to upgrade from there. As I enjoy the B2 Dusk, I continue to think about the U12t...kinda knew this would happen.

The U12t alludes me. I see the way it is described and it sounds like something that I would really like to hear. Slightly warm and smooth, immersive, highly detailed, light and comfortable, the total package...but it's also very expensive.

I would try to get a used pair to save some cash but I just can't tell if it's worth it or not...I know all about diminishing returns, and I also know that the Dusk is an incredible performer at it's price point. I know the U12t won't be 4x better than the Dusk but, like headphones, I value the improvements anyway. FWIW, I upgraded from the HD6XX and Sundara to the Clear and found it to be worth it, but just barely...if I had paid any more than $1000 for the Clears, I probably would be a tad disappointed. I don't know how this translates to IEMs.

Everyone talks about how the Dusk is perfectly tuned, but I do find it to be a little forward and aggressive sounding in the upper mids and lower treble, a bit too lean sometimes? So in addition to a slightly warmer tuning I also want an upgrade for the intangibles; imaging, soundstage, detail, etc. I've heard the bass on the U12t is so good it's pretty even with dynamic drivers, which is fascinating. I also find the B2 fit to be not...great...not bad, but not great. So comfort is important.

I mentioned I have Clears. Not exactly looking for a Clear tuning, but pretty close in technical performance. I like a slightly warm, full-bodied tuning with upper mids slightly pulled back but not too much as to take away from the energy and grit of the music. Basically, I want a sound that is natural and accurate, but also pleasing.

I guess mainly, is it worth it? I make a good wage and get generous bonuses from my company but I also don't want to just throw my money away on something if it's not worth it. I do use IEMs more than headphones though, just by nature of my environment. I know this is a hard question to answer, so maybe this will make it easier: Is the U12t, in your opinion, worth the price of admission? And how significant is the upgrade from mid-tier IEMs like the B2 Dusk, Variations, etc?

Lastly, is the U12t even what I want? I'm also considering the Mest MKII. I've heard that IEM has a great soundstage and also a warm, engaging tuning, so maybe that would actually be closer to what I'm looking for.

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 13
Hello fellow Head-Fiers. I'm hoping I can get some direction from y'all on a dilemma. I recently started getting into IEMs, I've had the Blessing 2 Dusk for about five months now. I really like them! At the time though, I couldn't decide if I should jump straight to a U12t, or start off with a Blessing 2 Dusk and decide if I want to upgrade from there. As I enjoy the B2 Dusk, I continue to think about the U12t...kinda knew this would happen.

The U12t alludes me. I see the way it is described and it sounds like something that I would really like to hear. Slightly warm and smooth, immersive, highly detailed, light and comfortable, the total package...but it's also very expensive.

I would try to get a used pair to save some cash but I just can't tell if it's worth it or not...I know all about diminishing returns, and I also know that the Dusk is an incredible performer at it's price point. I know the U12t won't be 4x better than the Dusk but, like headphones, I value the improvements anyway. FWIW, I upgraded from the HD6XX and Sundara to the Clear and found it to be worth it, but just barely...if I had paid any more than $1000 for the Clears, I probably would be a tad disappointed. I don't know how this translates to IEMs.

Everyone talks about how the Dusk is perfectly tuned, but I do find it to be a little forward and aggressive sounding in the upper mids and lower treble, a bit too lean sometimes? So in addition to a slightly warmer tuning I also want an upgrade for the intangibles; imaging, soundstage, detail, etc. I've heard the bass on the U12t is so good it's pretty even with dynamic drivers, which is fascinating. I also find the B2 fit to be not...great...not bad, but not great. So comfort is important.

I mentioned I have Clears. Not exactly looking for a Clear tuning, but pretty close in technical performance. I like a slightly warm, full-bodied tuning with upper mids slightly pulled back but not too much as to take away from the energy and grit of the music. Basically, I want a sound that is natural and accurate, but also pleasing.

I guess mainly, is it worth it? I make a good wage and get generous bonuses from my company but I also don't want to just throw my money away on something if it's not worth it. I do use IEMs more than headphones though, just by nature of my environment. I know this is a hard question to answer, so maybe this will make it easier: Is the U12t, in your opinion, worth the price of admission? And how significant is the upgrade from mid-tier IEMs like the B2 Dusk, Variations, etc?

Lastly, is the U12t even what I want? I'm also considering the Mest MKII. I've heard that IEM has a great soundstage and also a warm, engaging tuning, so maybe that would actually be closer to what I'm looking for.
If you like Dusk, you will most likely like Monarch mkii. I have both and I like the for similar reasons. U12t is a safe choice. It sounds great and has great technical attributes. And, if you don't like it, you can easily resell it.

If you want a more engaging sound that is fun, I would go for a MEST. Indigo is my top choice, then mkii, then OG. It depends on what you are seeking. Mkii might be your Goldilocks choice.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 13
If you like Dusk, you will most likely like Monarch mkii. I have both and I like the for similar reasons. U12t is a safe choice. It sounds great and has great technical attributes. And, if you don't like it, you can easily resell it.

If you want a more engaging sound that is fun, I would go for a MEST. Indigo is my top choice, then mkii, then OG. It depends on what you are seeking. Mkii might be your Goldilocks choice.
Would you describe the MKII as forward and fatiguing though? Some of the reviews I've read are that it has a forward upper midrange, which is exactly what I'm trying to pull away from as the Dusk gets a bit too forward and shouty for me sometimes.

Based on all of my research, the Mest and U12t are my top contenders...I might prefer the "safeness" of the U12t...but I dunno. Unfortunately no way for me to try without buying.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 13
Would you describe the MKII as forward and fatiguing though? Some of the reviews I've read are that it has a forward upper midrange, which is exactly what I'm trying to pull away from as the Dusk gets a bit too forward and shouty for me sometimes.
Not at all. But, I don't have a problem with Empire Ears Odin which is much more forward in the upper mids.

If you look at the Dusk and Monarch mkii, their tuning is almost a dead on match. If you like Dusk, you will probably like Monarch mkii. If you think Dusk is too upper mid forward, then U12t will probably be great for you.

graph Monarch mkii and Dusk.png

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 13
I think I know

If you find the Dusk too upper-mid forward and lean I'd be cautios of the current trend to sub-bass boosted lean-neutral IEMs.
I first invested in building up an IEM collection and gather experience over the years since I actually found the value to be better than that of full size headphones, but once I reached relatively high IEM levels (Sony IER-M9 with CHORD Hugo 2 DAC/Amp) it was hard finding headphones that matched the detail I am getting from the M9's.

The Blessing 2 is good, but I was a little disappointed and thought they were hyped too much. Imaging and separation was not great, stage was small, and treble could be gritty.
I think you are actually on a good track with the U12T, but yes, they are really expensive, and I'd not buy them before an extensive listening test.
I heard that 64Audio offers loaners for a deposit, which might give you the chance to test them.
But I can also recommend the IER-M9 if you can find them for a good price. They are extremely coherent, very detailed but with good body and quite natural attack and decay, and with an upgraded cable and the right tips they are actually surprisingly punchy and dynamic. They do need a good source though.
Another option might be the Sony IER-Z1R, an exceptional IEM, amazing soundstag, speaker like presentation, but can also be a little thin in the mids and their huge shell makes fitting them a challenge. And they again need prime source quality to reach their potential.

In any case, when you buy an IEM in those price ranges the source is crucial to actually get the performance those top IEMs are capable of.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Thanks for your comment! I was able to get my hands on a used U12t in like new condition for a good price :)

Unfortunately I don’t really have a way to try things out before buying but I didn’t know about the 64 Audio loaner program. But the U12t sells very well in classifieds so I’d have no problem offloading if I don’t like them

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for your comment! I was able to get my hands on a used U12t in like new condition for a good price :)

Unfortunately I don’t really have a way to try things out before buying but I didn’t know about the 64 Audio loaner program. But the U12t sells very well in classifieds so I’d have no problem offloading if I don’t like them
Good choice given what you've described.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 13
Good choice given what you've described.
Yeah, I think I already kinda knew the answer to this question before I posted. My mind had been almost always on the U12t. And I think even if I wound up with a Mest or Monarch, I would still be thinking of the U12t. Whereas with the U12t, I’ll have what I had wanted and probably won’t think about the others as much.

$1500 for a 3 month old pair with little use…fine deal if you ask me.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 13
Hey guys,

Thanks again for your help. I’ve been listening to the U12t for the last week and I gotta say, they are phenomenal…but I’m having a bit of an existential crisis.

As great as they sound, I don’t think they sound even twice as good as the Dusks. Improved in every area for sure, definitely better, but the gains seem to be smaller than I was expecting. The only area where they are leaps and bounds better is the treble extension, followed by layering, depth and imaging, and they sound more clear. I really like them, I just can’t decide if I should keep them knowing they cost $1200 than the Dusks 😕

And yes, I know diminishing returns and yadda yadda, but I think the improvements overall are not as much as I was expecting for such a huge jump. From Sundara to Clear was a smaller price gap and the improvement was way more noticeable, but I also understand headphones are different. And to be quite honest, I was expecting the U12t to sound thicker and warmer than the Dusk but that might actually not be the case. So I don’t even know if I like the tuning as much…I need to do some more listening and comparing. Overall, I am happy with them, but I also wonder if I could be just as happy with the Dusk and save a significant amount of money…

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 13
T
And to be quite honest, I was expecting the U12t to sound thicker and warmer than the Dusk but that might actually not be the case. So I don’t even know if I like the tuning as much…I need to do some more listening and comparing. Overall, I am happy with them, but I also wonder if I could be just as happy with the Dusk and save a significant amount of money…

Thanks for sharing, very interesting to read about your impressions!
I'd be quite interested in your opinion about the Sony IER-M9, especially compared to the U12T.
At around $700 for a used pair they are quite good value IMO and should be closer to your target tuning.

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 13
And to be quite honest, I was expecting the U12t to sound thicker and warmer than the Dusk but that might actually not be the case.

So I originally did a few hundred hours of testing in games/with binaural tracks because I was obsessed with determining the optimal positional audio.

Now, what I understood upfront was: BA's = best soundstage. So originally that was my goal, test out the soundstage of a BA iem. I started with a KZ unit, but couldn't position enemies around me. Maybe bad BA's.exe? -> So I worked my way up to B2 Dusk and ier-m9's. Still, nothing. I couldn't use them to *intuitively place* enemies around me.

So I was thinking about it, and driver types, because A bassy Dynamic driver was working the best. A *dynamic driver* was working better for my ability to place sounds around me. Now, Here's where I think it gets interesting. *BA's technicalities are too good*.

Imho Your ear drum isn't a tiny piece of metal, so why would we want to perfectly recreate a signal from a tiny piece of metal (microphone) and then act like that's the ultimate sound? It doesn't really make all that much sense.

So there's two parts to my current belief:
1. Any sound increase from a BA iem is actually the result of a lack of auditory masking caused by a DD iem producing better dynamics, kind of like you lose all the life to the sound.
2. Bass is felt and not heard, therefore a bass signal that's powerful is important to the soundstage as it helps your brain process how far a sound is from you.

I'm sure as heck not buying a BA iem ever again, and I hope this insane market gets reined in because all of us spending 2000$ for less enjoyable audio that we tell ourselves we like cause it's accurate.. It's just incredible.

The only function I could ever see for a BA iem is stage use and that's it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back