Should I trade my RS-1 for MS2i/325i/RS-2? Any disadvantages of the RS-1s?
May 13, 2006 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

CamelBackCinema

500+ Head-Fier
I was thinking with the freed up funds, I could get a nice amp but right now the RS-1s have set me back until I can muster up funds.

Any of you guys prefer the 325/MS2s over the RS-1s? What about the RS-2?

I've not listened to the RS-2s or the 325s or MS2s so I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction reviewing these phones side by side

EDIT: Side question, is there a Grado with more bass/less treble? The RS-1s sound very good but I wouldn't mind slightly less highs and more bass!

May 13, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Macromedia
Try flat pads on the RS-1. Adds more bass from what I've read because the driver is closer to the ear

Funny story, I do have flats and I forgot that I did and I've been digging the bowls. I'll do an extensive listening session with them!

May 13, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 18
Personally I don't see a point to doing what you propose, chances are better than even that you'll upgrade back to the RS-1 again at some point in the future, which means you'll be taking a financial loss unless you got your current RS-1 used at a great price (shipping & all that). Just use a bit of patience & wait until you have the funds to get an amp for the RS-1.

As for a Grado with more bass & less highs, that's the PS-1.

May 13, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 18
I have heard neither the RS-1 or the RS-2; but while doing tons of reading through this forum to find out as much as I could about the RS-2, I have run across a number of folks who come right out and say: "I prefer the RS-2 over the RS-1, because....."

Not a whole lot of folks; but a significant enough number to indicate that there is enough of a difference in the sound of the two sets of cans to win over a few listeners to the RS-2 side.

I can't honestly say that I've read many, if any, say they would prefer any of the plastic or aluminum models over wood.(.....although there could be a few, but maybe they're just afraid to admit it out loud!
wink.gif
)

May 14, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 18
The models listed are brighter than the RS1. You want either the PS1 or 225. Since you are trying to save money... 225
wink.gif

May 14, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
EDIT: Side question, is there a Grado with more bass/less treble? The RS-1s sound very good but I wouldn't mind slightly less highs and more bass!

The RS-1 is by far the most rightly done Grado to me, with adequate highs, and good bass slam + quantity. You're gonna get more treble and less bass if you move down to the MS2i/325i. I'd suggest that you keep the RS-1 and get a pair of comfies if you want more bass and less highs.

May 14, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 18
i thought the rs2 had more bass then the rs1, i haven't heard the rs1 yet so i personally don't. If ur considering the m2s/325, go for the ms2. It's not as bright

May 14, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
Funny story, I do have flats and I forgot that I did and I've been digging the bowls. I'll do an extensive listening session with them!

If you prefer the bowls, a good compromise is taped bowls. That's what I use on my 325i's. It adds bass heft and tames the brightness, but retains the sparkle in the highs and the soundstage that the bowls provide. In my opinion, it combines the best features of both pads.

And it's cheap!

May 14, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 18
No man.. trust me.. I sold my RS1 for lack of funds, bu if you can some how manage, keep with it. Buy a DAC and AMP for the RS1. It will soooooo much pay off. I got the Maple Tree HD.. it takes the RS1 to a whole new level... trust me un-imaginable levels of delight.. but you do need to have a DAC that give out pure un-regulated out to the AMP.

May 14, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 18
umm...i'm drunk, so i didn't read the first post. anyways, i think you should buy the 325i's....they're grrrrreeeaaat!. i'm listening to them right now...listening to soundgarden...good stuff. sell your sennheisers, akg's, sony's, etc...buy grado!

May 14, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #13 of 18
The RS2s are slightly darker than the RS1s and do have slightly less treble although not that much more bass, if you want some killer bass try find a pair of HF-1s, these are really nice cans, they have much more bass than the RS1s and slightly rolled off highs, I wouldn't call them better but different. As for the MS2s and 325s stay away from them, they are way brighter than the RS1s, almost to the point of being deemed harsh, and much less bass.

May 14, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #14 of 18
So it is looking as if, in the case of RS-2 vs RS-1, that each is their own can, and has to be judged on their own merits.

And only judged by the prospective purchaser, as having read tons of posts on the RS-2, no three people can agree on what these things actually sound like!
rolleyes.gif
blink.gif

The price of the RS-2 is just an added bonus. and should not necessarily be put in the mix. Seems as though the only major difference in cost is the metal ring, and a housing the size of the SR-325i/MS2i. I would like to know if both models use the same drivers for manufacturing convenience, or something designed for these housings to get a desired sound?!

I've read enough stuff about the RS-2 to get the impression that the RS-2 is just as much a "final set of cans" as the RS-1, but with the added benifit that the RS-2 owner can be just a bit more friendly with their wallet!

Interestingly, I have also have picked up the impression that the RS-2 seems to fall more naturally into the Alessandro progression of phones, being generally described as warmer and more foreward than the RS-1, as well as not quite as colored, with a reduced treble and a rearangement of bass responce making RS-2 perhaps a bit more neutral.

More the little brother to the MS-Pro??!..........Corvettes can be considered the little brother to the Impalla, but that dosen't take anything away from the "Vette"!

...........I'm going to have to sit down with the forum "search" function for RS-2 again and spend a few days taking notes to try to get a better picture that can be put into usable form. Try to get a true relationship of RS-2 vs RS-1 vs MS-Pro.

Could be fun
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
The price of the RS-2 is just an added bonus. and should not necessarily be put in the mix.Seems as though the only major difference in cost is the metal ring, and a housing the size of the SR-325i/MS2i.

Also remember that the RS-1 comes from the factory with a 15ft extension cord and a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, both not included with the RS-2. Both of these things sell for around $50 total. You also get a higher quality cardboard box with the RS-1.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back