Should I sell my Berning MicroZOTL?
May 11, 2003 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

smjason

New Head-Fier
Right now I have a Berning MicroZOTL and a ASL MG Head that I am using to power my HD 600 and others. I was thinking of selling the Berning and getting the AKG1000 and nOrh combo. I am really interested in the sound of these headphones and feel that they would give me the huge soundstage that I love so much and miss in headphones. Remember, that I will still keep the HD 600s and have the MG Head to power them, so I will still be able to listen to these babies, just not with the Berning goodness. What do you all think? Thanks

May 12, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 4
There is no yes or no answer. Yet another option would be to have Berning modify the ZOTL so that it had preamp outputs (my ZOTL had these), then get an inexpensive power amp for the K-1000 (ASL Waves perhaps, but I haven't heard them). This would let you keep the finesse and flexibility of the ZOTL and still have enough power for the K-1000.

May 12, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 4
Another option: I've found that the unmodified 'zotl does a good job with the K1000 unless you need ultra volumes or listen to pop music with wack synthetic bass.

Of course, what you really need to do is sell the ASL, keep the 'zotl and buy the new combo! Sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif
evil_smiley.gif

May 12, 2003 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 4
ASL Waves might not be a good choice for K1000, they need quite a lot of power. I tried the K1000 at the Chicago meet, powered by teh Fisher 400 & 400X. They indeed had a nice soundstage, but I still prefer my Senn HD600's. The K1000 just doesn't have the bottom end the Senn's have. For acoustical guitar music, the K1000 was incredible. For jazz though I just felt something was missing in the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back