should i sell 333es sacd for rotel rcd-971?
Aug 13, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #16 of 20
Well I just got the Omegas so haven't had a chance to search for a new source...

Well I think people start with speakers and headphones because then they will hear the biggest difference. The changes when you upgrade a source or an amp are often harder to notice.

I just had an itch for the Omegas and I had to scratch it...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by becomethemould
i was talking to guys about upgrading my headphone system, such as amplifier and cardas cable. one suggested that my source isn't up to stratch to justify those upgrades that are further up the chain...

That persons is, well, wrong
wink.gif

The 333ES isn't the best player on the planet, but it's a stellar player nonetheless. Several people on Head-Fi, include Jude and myself, use it with a HeadRoom Max, HD 600, and Cardas cables.

Quote:

Originally posted by spritzer
Btw. the Sony isn't rated Class A in Stereophile based on its red book performance but its performance with SACD. The Rotel was rated Class C in Stereophile .

True, but if you read the full review of the 333ES, it got very good marks for its Redbook performance, as well.

Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
It's the 555ES that is Class A rated and on SACD performance, not CD performance.

The 333ES was also Class A rated.

Aug 14, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #19 of 20
my friend brought his $100AUD 10 year old teac cd deck along and had a comparision, the difference was pretty minor. a little more hasher i think with the teac. maybe our ears aren't good enough, or our minds not mushy enough
biggrin.gif
hehe but the amplifer was pretty low end, mg head otl and corda blue.

Aug 14, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #20 of 20
I don't buy into the idea that age alone or *upgradeability'' should tell you whether or not to keep/buy a CD player. I have a Rotel 955AX that I bought ten years ago and till this day, I really still haven't heard anything that sounds so better or warmer or makes me want to give it up.

If there's something new that floats your boat, and you can hear a difference, THAT makes sense. But why buy something that you're not happy, with only because you can ''upgrade'' to whatever else with new parts, not even knowing what that will sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back