should i sell 333es sacd for rotel rcd-971?
Aug 11, 2003 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

becomethemould

500+ Head-Fier
hi guys, one of my friends reckons i should purchase a better cd player as the current one i have, the scd-333es is budget sounding. the rotel is budget too right? i will probably get the rotel for around 200US, but would there be a significant step up in cd quality? i only have 2 sacds.

thanks!
peter

Aug 11, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 20
No, that would be quite the downgrade. That budget Sony is Class A from Stereophile and mods are available for it. The Rotel on the other hand is getting on in age and even within the Rotel range doesn't hold a candle to the 991AE.

Keep the Sony, audition possible repacements but looking at budget players from 6 years ago shouldn't be your goal.

Aug 11, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 20
the rotel model is from 1998-2002 i think. so 5 years
biggrin.gif
the sony is around 3-4 years old too. i was talking to guys about upgrading my headphone system, such as amplifier and cardas cable. one suggested that my source isn't up to stratch to justify those upgrades that are further up the chain...

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 20
Does one happen to be selling a Rotel 971
tongue.gif
The Sony is better, no question. Surprised Jude hasn't chimed in on this.

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 20
There are many people who could mod your 333es (for various amounts of money) - this would probably yield better results than the same amount of money spent on a new cdp (unless your budget was much higher).

-dd3mon

Aug 11, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 20
I own the Rotel RCD-971 and while it is a very good cdp it is starting to show its age. I am going to upgrade mine but I'm not going to sell it. It is a nice little cdp and I like it but with the Omega II's it is really outclassed.

The Rotel can be modded but not to the same extent as the Sony. You can change the op amps and install a super clock and a new pc but thats about it. The Rotel already uses Black Gate caps so there is no need to upgrade them. The build quality at Rotel is very high and they use quality parts, something that Sony doesn't do...
rolleyes.gif

Btw. the Sony isn't rated Class A in Stereophile based on its red book performance but its performance with SACD. The Rotel was rated Class C in Stereophile .

Aug 11, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by becomethemould
the rotel model is from 1998-2002 i think. so 5 years
biggrin.gif
the sony is around 3-4 years old too. i was talking to guys about upgrading my headphone system, such as amplifier and cardas cable. one suggested that my source isn't up to stratch to justify those upgrades that are further up the chain...

I checked your profile. Before upgrading I owned a very similar system and I would disagree that the source isn't up to "stratch". I owned the MG Head OTL with NOS tubes and the Sennheiser HD580's with the Cardas replacement cable for about 8 or 9 months. Both the NOS tubes and the Cardas cable were significant upgrades. And I never felt that the Sony 333ES was lacking.

Only after upgrading to the Stax 4040 Signature System II have I started to think a source upgrade is next after my interconnect upgrade. I like the Sony 333ES so I will most likely have it modded.

My recommendation is to go for the Cardas cable or some NOS tubes. Heck, get both
biggrin.gif
!

Aug 12, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 20
It's the 555ES that is Class A rated and on SACD performance, not CD performance.

You can never go wrong with a true upgrade to a source but I don't feel the Rotel is superior to the 333ES.

I don't think the 333ES is so bad that tube and cable upgrades are not worthwhile. Even if you change sources in the future, you aren't throwing away the tubes and cables unless you change amp and/or headphones.

On Saturday, I was listening to a $800 Arcam hooked up to the MG-Head OTL (I think that's $400-500) with $650 interconnects and trust me, the interconnects helped.

And pairing the Rotel with the Omega IIs should be punished.
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 20
Why not get the 333ES modified? Unless you're willing to spend more for a replacement any move is likely to be a lateral one, better in some, worse in others. With upgrades, you know that the player you get back is going to be better than the one you sent in. But you will void your warrantee.

Aug 12, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 20
Oooo... voiding a Sony warranty. I think people can live with that.
tongue.gif

I agree that if you can't afford a demonstrably better source then the mod is the next best thing. It'll probably last you for a year or two and certainly isn't as expensive as the "next model up".

Aug 12, 2003 at 10:58 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
It's the 555ES that is Class A rated and on SACD performance, not CD performance.

That is true today, but at the time the 333ES was class A and considered a bargain considering its incredible analog section. The 555ES is better digitally but a lesser unit in the analog section. Which results in both players sounding equal and why people suggest the 333ES to those who only want 2 channel SACD. Course if you are modding then the 555ES is a better platform since you keep its strength and build up its weak spot.

Aug 12, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
And pairing the Rotel with the Omega IIs should be punished.
wink.gif

Hey the Rotel isn't that bad... it´s just not good enough for the Omegas. But I will upgrade to something nice when I have the time

Aug 12, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by spritzer
Hey the Rotel isn't that bad... it´s just not good enough for the Omegas. But I will upgrade to something nice when I have the time

Heh, I was just trying to give you a hard time.
wink.gif

I've always been curious as to what goes through people's minds when they are on the "upgrade" journey. Why do so many start with headphones and speakers and work backwards through amps and then sources?

Perhaps it's because it's a bit easier to choose headphones since there aren't a thousand models available. Prices are somewhat closer matched and there are really only 3 or 4 tiers of headphone "quality". Source and amps are pretty much open ended.

I'm just glad that you aren't pairing them with a MP3 player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not that there is anything wrong with a MP3 player but even the best aren't a match for the Omega IIs.

Aug 12, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 20
Yes you should sell the sony, to me
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back