Should I return the Galaxy S4?
Nov 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rex24-7

Head-Fier
Hey fellow Head-fiers,

Saturday I traded my iPhone 4S in for a Samsung Galaxy S4. While running spotify at extreme quality and listening on my HD 25-1 IIs, I was running into crackling, hissing, and some music skips. On top of all of this, the audio seems more compressed and the soundstage is smaller compared to my former 4S, with same program and equipment. Should I return it while I can for a different phone, or go the USB DAC route? Thanks.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 9
Whose your carrier? The three phones I'd recommend are the HTC One, LG G2 and Nexus 5 for SQ. All three should be available through Sprint and Tmobile here in the states but not Verizon and AT&T. Or at least not the N5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 9
Check out the LG G2. Snapdragon 800 processor, same as the Note 3 and Nexus 5. 24/192 DAC. Not sure how much lossless you could fit on there with just 32 gigs and no SD slot but its easily the only hi rez DAC in cellphones presently.
I should know whether or not the Nexus has the same DAC because the phones share a lot of internal components but I don't xD

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 9
My current plan is to replace the Galaxy S4 with an iPhone 5s or LG G2. However, I just had a thought. What if I bought a cheaper smartphone that supports USB OTG and used the left over money for a DAC?

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm listening to the album Terrible Fate in FLAC right now on my new LG G2 smartphone. The salespeople at Verizon really didn't like this phone, and I have to agree that it's buggy. I can't even get my lock screen to work. However, the sound is just what I was looking for in a portable solution. I'm very excited for what this phone might be capable of. I also got a Nexus 7 v2 tablet that I'm going to USB tether to, and maybe get a headphone amp for. Thanks for the help. Do you recommend any apps to get even better sound out of the G2?

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 9
If you still want Samsung brand than please exchange to Galaxy Note 3

Or if you like iPhone 4 s like me please go for iPhone 5 s , this is the sq improvement over 4 s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back