should I mod a AKG k240 sextett
Jan 11, 2008 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ishtob

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently acquired a sextett in pretty bad condition, I have ordered parts to clean and fix it up. But now here's the 2 dilemma:

-Should I use the spare AKG stock cable from another one of my vintage AKG that I had re-cabled to keep the unit "stock" (or OEM) or re-cable it (but that comes to yet another questions: with SPC or OFC cable)

-I have k240 monitor also, should I switch the driver so I can have the newer driver (maybe better details in sound?) or to leave the driver as is?

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 6
The Sextett stock cable looks aesthetically bad to me. Normally I do not replace stock cables off headphones (especially if it looks fine) but with the Sextetts, I couldn't wait to replace it, if only to make it look better.

I would also leave the original drivers alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishtob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have recently acquired a sextett in pretty bad condition, I have ordered parts to clean and fix it up. But now here's the 2 dilemma:

-Should I use the spare AKG stock cable from another one of my vintage AKG that I had re-cabled to keep the unit "stock" (or OEM) or re-cable it (but that comes to yet another questions: with SPC or OFC cable)

-I have k240 monitor also, should I switch the driver so I can have the newer driver (maybe better details in sound?) or to leave the driver as is?

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Sonically, i don't think the cable matters unless the original is badly corroded. For ergonomic reasons you might decide to use some other cable.

As for the driver, in theory the K240-M driver is identical to the sextett driver. In practice, at the very least it's not better than the sextett driver. So don't swap 'em.

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 6
If you have to recable anyway in the process of refurbishment, then you can do whatever you want. Personally I'd choose more for tactile than supposed sonic improvements, as the stock cable doesn't sound bad.

And ditto on not replacing the driver. We know the old ones sound good, while with the monitors you're rolling the dice at best. What a company calls the same driver over multiple decades of production almost certainly amounts to widely varied sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back