should i keep my HD-580?
Nov 25, 2003 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ch1nkster

100+ Head-Fier
ok yesterday i was kinda out of my mind and i ordered Sennheiser HD-580's of the net. i totally forgot that i will have to drop an additional $500 some for upgraded sources, interconnects, headphone amp, and cardas cable. should i cancel my order of hd-580's? i just wanted some cans that have good soundstage. if getting the hd-580's would be a good idea, then i will need some good, but cheaper headphone amp. right now, i prefer listening to music on my portables because the combo of my computer and the creative mp3+ sound card just doesn't produce that good sound effects. if i get the hd-580 would i have to upgrade from my sony mz-n10's as a source and have to buy a $200 amp to power the hd-580's? any other recommendations of other headphones? i like the hd-580's because everybody here seems to like them. if there are other headphones that can be driven easier and produce good soundstage, then i will consider them over the hd-580's. thanks

Nov 25, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 30
Well you don't have to buy any upgrades for the HD580's but I do think it's advisable if you want to hear what the HD580's, or any other headphone for that matter, is capable of. Most headphones will benefit from a good amp and source. IMO, the HD580's require an amp or very strong headphone output to be driven properly so I would say that is a definate upgrade path you would want to look at. If this is not something your willing to do then I would be tempted to say look at headphones that are more easily driven.

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 30
I'd recommend that you cancel your HD580 order if you're going to use the 'phones directly from your MZ-N10 with no amp. You see, the MZ-N10's headphone out is far too weak to drive the HD580 to anywhere near adequate loudness levels. I've tried the HD600 - the big brother of the HD580 - on my MZ-E10, and the output is barely audible even at maximum volume settings.

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 30
You may want to consider the HD590's

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by markkr
You may want to consider the HD590's

Haha! I found the HD590 to sound worse than the HD580 even on an unamped portable CD player. HD590 with a world-class amp? Fuggiddaboutit.

Nov 25, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 30
Bah, don't settle for lesser cans than the 580s. IMO the headphones are the most important part of the audio chain. It is possible to get very pleasing sound out of the 580's with a cheap source even unamped, but then the cans are very picky about what that cheap source is. Like Eagle Driver said, I have heard that minidisc player with grado 225's and it *sucked*. I can only imagine it would be much worse with the 580's. I don't know if the creative card would be much better, but give it a shot. For reference my panasonic ct470 is much better but still very blah with the 580's, but my cheapo 1991 sony D11 discman is awesome. If you're going to buy a new source/amp, make sure to check that there are forum mebers using and enjoying that combination before you buy it. It would suck to sink a lot of money and find out it's a terrible match for the 580's.

Nov 25, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 30
ch1nkster,

The Philips SBC HP-890 are cheaper, easily driven, and well known for their wide soundstage. I also agree that the HD 590s are a good alternative though a more expensive one. I'd keep the Senns and get a low cost DIY amp if I were you though. You can also get a good quality used CDP.

Good luck!
Alex
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Haha! I found the HD590 to sound worse than the HD580 even on an unamped portable CD player. HD590 with a world-class amp? Fuggiddaboutit.

What are you talking about? The 590 did a much better job from any portable I ran them through. The 580 veil becomes a curtain, and the bass turns into mush without enough power. With that same amount of power, the 590 sounds and images just fine.

Nov 25, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 30
Keep the HD-580
get a $150 - $200 used MG heat or Singlepower amp
get a Headsave elite or classic amp for around $250.00

play music from mp3 player or pcdp

BLISS!!!

Dont cancel the cans - they are things you wont have to upgrade for a loooong time...simply stunning...

The 590's are waaaay too bright even after break in but if you dont mind and if you are on a lean budget then go ahead and cancel.

I am on the leanest budget possible - only $400.00 to work with...

So far I have the headphones (HD-580) and I have borrowed the amps you see in my sig - I like the MG Head better and even if I do buy that I should be well within my budget...

See...its not impossible...

Nov 25, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by psyco1
What are you talking about? The 590 did a much better job from any portable I ran them through. The 580 veil becomes a curtain, and the bass turns into mush without enough power. With that same amount of power, the 590 sounds and images just fine.

Don't worry about Eagle_Driver, he's got some kind of anti-HD590 vendetta. I agree that the 590 sounds much better unamped than the HD600 (so I would imagine 580 as well), but an amp doesn't help much, it at all. Anything with even a moderately strong headphone jack (like my Archos MP3 player) can make the HD600 a level above the 590.

I say keep the 580!

Nov 26, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 30
Keep them. They sound just fine even when powered by a tiny setup. If you're going to expand with up to $1000 of associated equipment, the headphone will still improve as you go.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 26, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 30
Keep them for chrissakes! They are great phones. It doesn't matter what amp you drive them with, they are better than almost anything out there.

MKR

Nov 26, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Don't worry about Eagle_Driver, he's got some kind of anti-HD590 vendetta. I agree that the 590 sounds much better unamped than the HD600 (so I would imagine 580 as well), but an amp doesn't help much, it at all. Anything with even a moderately strong headphone jack (like my Archos MP3 player) can make the HD600 a level above the 590.

I say keep the 580!

Maybe it's the particular HD590 that I had owned that turned me off. I cannot say anything about other HD590's in circulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back