Should I go to the darkside? PS-1 worth the $$?
Sep 14, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #76 of 91
I have considered a recable... I've talked to Zu a while back who said they'd do it and ALO recently but I need a solid home amp first. Maybe I get a Raptor for Christmas
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW - I tried the PS-1's with GS1000 begals and they sounded like poop. John said a lot of people like them with reversed bowls but I've yet to try that.

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #78 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talk to zach, too (grand enigma 1). His recables are generally good upgrades.

Thanks, I'll check him out. There's really a lot of great people making great cables these days. I had a chance to hear some recabled D5000's at the last meet that were done by [AK]zip and they sounded very impressive compared to my stock D5k's.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #79 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have considered a recable... I've talked to Zu a while back who said they'd do it and ALO recently but I need a solid home amp first. Maybe I get a Raptor for Christmas
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW - I tried the PS-1's with GS1000 begals and they sounded like poop. John said a lot of people like them with reversed bowls but I've yet to try that.

I think you have found (again) the phone that fits you perfectly. Congrats! Don't sell them this time
tongue.gif

That is 90% of the battle. And they only sound good IMO with bowls. Now it's just about the amp and the rest of your gear to tweak your system.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #80 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Headfi lord: "Grado is a pathway to many sonic powers that some consider to be unnnnnatural..."
n00b: "Is it possible to learn this power?"
Headfi lord: "Not from a Sennheiser"
...or in my case "only from a PS-1"

LOL! I pledge myself to your teachings...

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #82 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone on this thread manage to keep their PS1s after all these years? It seems the prices on these have gone through the roof.

There were some sales last year that were fairly high, but I think the prices have settled back down now. Case in point this ebay auction that ended 2-3 days ago:

Grado PS-1 Headphones ::::::::::::::RARE:::::::::::::: - eBay (item 300393559189 end time Feb-08-10 20:08:24 PST)

After owning four pair myself over the past few years, I wouldn't consider paying more than $2500 were I to ever seek out another.

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #83 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There were some sales last year that were fairly high, but I think the prices have settled back down now. Case in point this ebay auction that ended 2-3 days ago:

Grado PS-1 Headphones ::::::::::::::RARE:::::::::::::: - eBay (item 300393559189 end time Feb-08-10 20:08:24 PST)

After owning four pair myself over the past few years, I wouldn't consider paying more than $2500 were I to ever seek out another.

it appears the seller wanted to buy and flip on audiogon, Grado PS-1 For Sale | AudiogoN otherwise he wasn't satisfied with the sound and decided to make a profit.

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #84 of 91
Quote:

it appears the seller wanted to buy and flip on audiogon, Grado PS-1 For Sale | AudiogoN otherwise he wasn't satisfied with the sound and decided to make a profit.

I'm almost positive that the ebay listing and the audiogon seller are the same individual. Also, seeing as though his location is Berkeley, I wouldn't be surprised if it's that known flipper Waddragon/Lobster King that used to be a member here before being banned. I created a thread about him last year. He originally had them listed at $3100 on audiogon last week before putting them up on ebay. Just speculation here, but I think what happened is that he shill bidded his own auction in hopes of someone competing with him at the end and driving the price through the roof. The reason I say that is three reasons:

1) The auction ended successfully yet he listed them again today on audiogon for $500 less than last week.

2) The supposed buyer has not left him negative feedback for backing out of the sale at $2336.

3) The supposed buyer, which I believe to be the seller, has placed 52 bids on ebay over the past 30 days and 90% of them have been with the seller.

Bidding Details

Coincidence? I think not.

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #85 of 91
yes.

a'gon and ebay. same listing. same person. either the seller refused to sell at the 2300 price or the seller was the high bidder. either way, very shady.

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #86 of 91
Amazing... good detective work subtle, it's a shame that phones like these have to be in the hands of boneheads like that person. It's tough enough to find, but one less person who wants em, getting to enjoy them. Well maybe the seller is listening to them, while hatching yet another scheme.

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #87 of 91
Quote:

Amazing... good detective work subtle, it's a shame that phones like these have to be in the hands of boneheads like that person. It's tough enough to find, but one less person who wants em, getting to enjoy them. Well maybe the seller is listening to them, while hatching yet another scheme.

X2

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #90 of 91
I was watching that auction of the PS-1. I think it was a fair price for them. Well...if they were someone's DREAM headphone that everything about it was just spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back