Should I go for the Q701 or the MS2i?
May 19, 2012 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ProjectDenz

Headphoneus Supremus
So fellas, I am basically limited to these two headphones for various reasons (basically I have a store credit and these are the only two viable options at the store).

Which do you think would be a good match-up the the DT880 250Ohm.

Set-up is Matrix M-Stage -> Asus ST.

I was thinking that the Q701 would have a bit better clarity and separation, but I am worried that this headphone would suck all the fun out of the music with its analytical edge,

I thought the MS2i would be a better, more fun sounding headphone, but descriptions of its sound signature tell me that it sounds like a less refined JH13 pro with much more harsh treble and less extended bass.

Help me out!!!!!!!
tongue.gif

May 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 7
MS2i certainly are fun, I don't find them harsh, no more harsh than the RS1, but I find the 325 quite harsh.

702 is a bit boring for me, depends what kind of music you listen to. I listen to metal/rock and MS2 wins that for me. MS Pro I owned as well but they're quite different to the MS2... I actually prefer the MS2 to them.

May 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Hi marts, would you say that the MS2 have a forward midrange? What didn't you like about the MS Pro? And final question, would you say the MS2 is more colder sounding or warmer sounding.

I ask a lot of questions, lol.

May 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Hi marts, would you say that the MS2 have a forward midrange? What didn't you like about the MS Pro? And final question, would you say the MS2 is more colder sounding or warmer sounding.

I ask a lot of questions, lol.

Yes, MS2 is quite forward, in your face etc... just without the extra harshness of the 325i. I didn't dislike the MS Pro, just prefer the MS2 for my musical preferences. MS Pro was a lot more relaxed, not as forward. MS2 is my favourite phone for guitars... and I've tried a lot. I would consider it more neutral than warm or cold.

May 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 7
I have K702s and the SR325is.  I say keep them both.  They compliment each other.  I don't find my Grados harsh at all, but I'm using a Woo tube amp with them.  I like the AKGs for more relaxed listening, but there are times I need to have those Grados just get into my head.  I will never get rid of them for the way they throw the music in your face, especially rock.

May 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
So fellas, I am basically limited to these two headphones for various reasons (basically I have a store credit and these are the only two viable options at the store).

Which do you think would be a good match-up the the DT880 250Ohm.

Set-up is Matrix M-Stage -> Asus ST.

I was thinking that the Q701 would have a bit better clarity and separation, but I am worried that this headphone would suck all the fun out of the music with its analytical edge,

I thought the MS2i would be a better, more fun sounding headphone, but descriptions of its sound signature tell me that it sounds like a less refined JH13 pro with much more harsh treble and less extended bass.

Help me out!!!!!!!
tongue.gif

Heya,

I don't find the Q701 to be boring or analytical at all. It's a warm headphone, it's just not overly bassy. Great sound stage and comfort. Great overall sound.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back