Should i go down the IEM path?
Mar 18, 2008 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sum1

100+ Head-Fier
I've tried lots of phones such as (A900,AD900,MS2,K271,HD595,HD650,W1000,K501 and Denon D2000) but unfortunately most of them are either lacking bass on them and therefore vocals sounded quite thin or the vocals are behind the instruments and therefore the background instruments or its bass kinda overpowered it.

I've never tried IEM and since most singers use IEM on them when they are singing i am just wondering if maybe they have a characteristic of having a good vocal in that when you listen to it you are attracted to the vocals first and the instruments are there to complement the vocals and not overpower it.

So what do you reckon guys. Any comments will be appreciated. SA6 looks like a good value IEM

Thanks.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 9
headphones and IEM are totally different. IEMs cater for people who like the isolation feature of it, while high-end open headphones tend to give airy sound that IEMs can never emulate. So it really depends on your need. Generally, IEMs have less punchy bass due to their small size. Headphones tend to sound better than IEMs that are in the same price range.

Again, I have generalized it. It has to depends on what IEM you are looking at. SA6 is good for people who like to tweak the sound signature to their preference.

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyyam85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally, IEMs have less punchy bass due to their small size.

Really? My (limited) experience is the opposite. It seems that the seal that is created allows for a closed pressure system in the canal, and, subsequently, greater bass response.

I agree with you on the "airy" nature of headphones over IEMs/canalphones, though. Accurate reproduction of spacial cues has always been a key factor for me in equipment choice, and it seems that headphones are able to do this better than earphones. Could be a bad generalization, though... I don't have a very wide range of experience here...
redface.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 9
Take a look at the UE super.fi 5's. Dual driver design. Nicely balanced with good bass response. Shallower fit too so a bit better for people who are new to earphones.

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 9
You will never get bass out of IEMs like you can with the better headphones. I love my Images and Atrios but my DT880s blow them both away and by quite a bit in the bass department.

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr dougie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will never get bass out of IEMs like you can with the better headphones. I love my Images and Atrios but my DT880s blow them both away and by quite a bit in the bass department.

I thought the DT880 is a bass shy headphones. So are you saying that the DT880 has more bass than the atrio M8 which is quite a bassy canalphones?

Mar 18, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the DT880 is a bass shy headphones. So are you saying that the DT880 has more bass than the atrio M8 which is quite a bassy canalphones?

I'm always surprised when I read an opinion that the DT880s have weak bass. They are power hungry cans for sure but properly fed are neutral and yet musical all the way across including full, detailed bass. With EQ you can easily have bass as monstorous as you want and way past what the Atrios can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back