should i get Westone3 or UM3X P.s. i'm er4s Lover..
May 31, 2009 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

unlimited

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
i'm planing to get new IEM but i cant design which one i like the best for Westone3 or UM3X
could you tell me the different of W3 and UM3X?
i really dont know which one i like the best because i never try it before..
but i kinda like style er4s (but want to try one of those choice)
thanks for any help..

May 31, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 31
Probably UM3X but it's a tough call. W3 reveals a very high level of treble detail (maybe a bit moreso than UM3X) but it tends to come with some unwanted siblance/shrilliness and is a little bit fatiguing on the ears much like Etys. UM3X still reveals a ton of detail but it is much softer around the edges and more balanced neutral and flat (also like ER4). The neutral and flat aspect.

Upon initial hearing coming from Etys, one might think UM3X is veiled but after some time with them, to this day I honestly find them the most "honest" IEM I have ever heard. Once Ety fans adjust to the lack of "hyper" detail that ER4 represents, I think they can really appreciate what UM3X offers. So I would consider UM3X the better choice coming from an Ety. I am going on 6 weeks now and I surely still consider it the best sounding universal I have ever heard. I cannot call out one negative aspect of it's SQ. It's magic.... So balanced it's boring...no just kidding.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 31
If your choice is narrow down between these two IEMs then my suggestion is go for Westone 3 which are more balanced than UM3X to my ears.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably UM3X but it's a tough call. W3 reveals a very high level of treble detail (maybe a bit moreso than UM3X) but it tends to come with some unwanted siblance/shrilliness and is a little bit fatiguing on the ears much like Etys. UM3X still reveals a ton of detail but it is much softer around the edges and more balanced neutral and flat (also like ER4). The neutral and flat aspect.

Upon initial hearing coming from Etys, one might think UM3X is veiled but after some time with them, to this day I honestly find them the most "honest" IEM I have ever heard. Once Ety fans adjust to the lack of "hyper" detail that ER4 represents, I think they can really appreciate what UM3X offers. So I would consider UM3X the better choice coming from an Ety. I am going on 6 weeks now and I surely still consider it the best sounding universal I have ever heard. I cannot call out one negative aspect of it's SQ. It's magic.... So balanced it's boring...no just kidding.

As you said the Westone 3 have sort of the same features as Etys, I'm not sure if UM3X with forward mids and lows are his cup of tea.
I don't own the UM3X, but the first impression of them was, at least not like Etys.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 31
UM3X does not have forward mids like SE530. I'd say it's balanced and blends right in with the treble and bass. UM3X are not hyper brite like Ety's but the incredibly balanced and flat frequency response is just what ETY is all about. W3 is anything but balanced and flat. W3 bass and treble is way out front with the midrange taking a backseat. This creates a big "wow" factor but it is not my cup of tea.

I think UM3X is much like a bassier and warmer ER4P.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 31
I suggest you trying the UM3X. If you love the Ety for its faithfulness to the music, you must experience the UM3X. Sure, the Ety can reveal you stuffs the UM3X cannot with the same level of details; however, there are things in the music that you are not supposed to be able to hear that clearly
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 31
UM3X is nice with a P-51 Mustang. And I agree w/ Spyro - they are kinda like a warmer, bassier ER-4P, which was my impression over the few days I had a loaner pair. Were they better than ER-4P tho....hmmm, at first I thought not, but toward the end of my loan, yeeees, maybe...

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 31
Personally, I don't find UM3X to be upgrade from ER4(with amp). My biggest problem with them is midrange - it is too forward, unnaturally forward.

Basically I would describe UM3X as ER4 ++ bass ++midrange --treble. Bigger soundstage, but less transparency and resolution. Also quality of the top end is typical for armatures, with metallic accent, and not very resolving.

...but otherwise they are good phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they're nearly identical. unless u mean er4 and the westones, then the westones

I indeed ment the Westone's
smily_headphones1.gif

Which one goes futher in the earcannel? I prefer not so deep you know..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back