Should I get these superbly cheap speakers?
Apr 4, 2009 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

quane

100+ Head-Fier
I've got Logitech X-230 hooked up on my computer right now, I'm quite happy but I would just want to try something to see if it's worth it. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just any size speakers (without sub, got a pretty decent and loud one with my X-230's) that are up to £40 (a pair). I use my speakers to listen to music, watch movies e.t.c. through my computer and nothing else and they won't be hooked up to anything else except computer.

Help me out.

I'm pretty interested in these Buy Acoustic Solutions Bookshelf Speakers - Black. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . (yes I know it's argos, yes I know they're from some Chinese brand that no-one knowns about) just because of their price. Is it worth the upgrade or should I just stick with my current ones?

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 13
X2 Junk, never buy from argos I wouldn't even buy a spoon from them.

You would be better off with a set from richer sounds or somewhere like that they sometimes have good deals if your after something cheap and cheerful.

Richer Sounds BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS Products

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 13
That's sorted, won't be getting them (thank yo iriverdude).

Argos isn't bad for stuff for home (e.g. baskets and ****) but their Audio range simply fails.

I don't have the money yet and I won't have it for another 2 - 3 weeks but I got nothing better to do so I'm trying to decide here. Eltax Wave MINI and Eltax Concept Mini fit in my budget, so I'll be looking at them.

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 13
How about buying a pair of the least expensive Fostex fullrange drivers, then building a couple boxes? You should be able to find a pair in your budget and any friend or family member with a tablesaw can build the cabinets in an hour or two. A pair of Fostex fullrange drivers would obliterate any inexpensive commercial offering.

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 13
Personally I love DIY, I really, really enjoy it. But my family is tiny (5 members incl all cousins e.t.c.) and all of them are women. 3 live in 2 different places in the world. And I doubt that any of my mates have a tablesaw, if I had the tools I wouldn't buy anything new, I would always aim to build most of the stuff myself but I'm a starving student and can't afford it. sorry for the life story xD

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 13
they are oright, i do go for the bass quantity :p the sub :p using the EQ also helps to make them sound better.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 13
I will wait for couple weeks/moths for enough money to buy equipment for a re-cable and then I'll move onto my next target, either new soundcard or speakers. For now, I will leave this thread alone.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 13
Your nearest lumber store or shop might be able to do it for you. Most here have a shop that will charge $2-$4 USD per cut, or a flat hourly rate. Cutting six rectangles per speaker takes very little time and can be inexpensive. If you go to school, they might have a shop that could do it, as well.

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your nearest lumber store or shop might be able to do it for you. Most here have a shop that will charge $2-$4 USD per cut, or a flat hourly rate. Cutting six rectangles per speaker takes very little time and can be inexpensive. If you go to school, they might have a shop that could do it, as well.

I've thought about the school option but as this target and idea is halted, I will think about it once I get to the stage where I've the money.

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 13
Apr 7, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme4099 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your better off getting these speakers at Best Buy, Insignia Model: NS-B2111 bookshelfs, this particular model is something special, and at roughly 90 bux a no brainer, then again not sure if they have a best buy in your part of the world.

Insignia® - 6-1/2" Bass-Reflex Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - NS-B2111

International forum mate, He's in Northern Ireland best buy isn't an option.

Quane,

If you really need some speakers, check ebay for speakers with the location set to nearest first. A decent set of collection only speakers comes up in the Belfast area from time to time.

P.S. I'm in Cookstown but remember fondly staggering home as a student to the holy land
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 13
The Speaker Company supposedly has great speakers for very decent prices. I've been wanting to get my hands on some, but unfortunately I can't come up with any spare change at the moment.
frown.gif

Edit: I see now that you aren't in the U.S. I guess you could cough up an arm and a leg for shipping though...
Sorry, I'm a silly n00b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back