Should I get the V-Moda XS or M-100?
Feb 20, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #46 of 51
You're welcome! And thanks for watching the videos.

I had the Urbanite On-ear for awhile and ended up getting rid of them. They didn't fit right on my head and would slip off if I tilted either forward or backward. The bass and mids were great but the treble was so recessed that it made all my music sound boring. The one thing it excelled at compared to the V-MODAs was isolation. They blocked out noise incredibly well.

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #47 of 51
Hello again,

So I just received a pair of V-Moda XS headphones.  I have worn them twice. I like them but am not in love with them.  I think the build quality is excellent, I am very happy with that.  But I am not super impressed with the sound. Also, while they are comfortable, I can't seem to find the sweet spot on my head for positioning.  I almost wish they were a wee bit tighter.  And if I angle them back a bit they do sound better.  But I kept wanting a little more bass.  Maybe I am a basshead....  Either I just haven't found the correct positioning on my head for best sound or my hearing is damaged enough that I am missing a lot of the frequencies.  Not sure.... I almost want to go try the Beats solo 2s or the Crossfade M100s (I dont know where in Chicago I can actually try the M100s before purchasing).

As someone that has never had a decent pair of headphones I thought I would be blown away at the sound given the great reviews the V-Modas get but I am feeling like I'm missing something...  :-/

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #48 of 51
If you're not happy with the XS bass, then I don't think the M-100 bass will satisfy you either. The XS doesn't have as much bass body or extension as the M-100, but it does slam harder in the mid-bass which is the frequency most bass boosted headphones emphasize. Some Best Buys carry the M-100 in the Magnolia section of the store and not on the shelf near the Bose, Monster, Beats, and Sony displays. Call around your area and see who carries it so you can try both the Solo 2 and M-100. You could also try the Alpine Over-Ear Headphones. They actually rumble on your head with subwoofer-like ferocity and they sound pretty good. You can listen to those at an Apple store.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #49 of 51
Thanks SpiderNhan. I haven't wandered into a Magnolia section of Best Buy in quite a while so I didn't know they had headphones in there as well.  I will call to find out what they have.   I see the local Apple store has the Beats and Alpines in stock.  I will check those out soon.  I do like the VModas, but I want to love them! I wish they had a bigger sound.  I don't know how else to describe it.  

Thanks for your help!

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #50 of 51
Well, I have gone to the dark side!  I got the Beats Solo2 in green!  They fit me so much better than the V-MODA XSs.  I loved the construction and finish of the V-MODAs, excellent quality. But they just didn't fit my head snuggly enough.  I was afraid to move my head for fear of them shifting or sliding.  It made the whole experience unenjoyable.  Also, because of the lack of clamping they didn't form a good seal on my ears.  If I used my hands to push the ear cups tighter I heard great sound.  

The Beats fit me much better.  I can move around and they feel comfortably secure and form a MUCH better seal on my ears.  Also, I like the bass boost.  I never tried any other Beats over the years because I read the reviews about how subpar they were.  So I can't compare but I am happy with these.  I have always liked their simple design and form factor, plus the hunter green is subtly sexy!  

Thanks to Tyll from InnerFidelity, his was the first review I watched of the Beats Solo2.

Cheers!!!!  
Victoria

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #51 of 51
Sorry to bring back to life this old post...

I want to buy something similar in sound to me beloved Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohms, but more portable for use at office and and these V-Moda are among my purchasing options... I want a V-shaped sound with powerful and deep bass but also with bright cristal clear highs, which would fit better my needs?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back