should i get the Sony MDR-zx300 or the Zx600?
Sep 14, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 12
I certainly would never recommend anyone torture their ears with the ZX300 - it really is awful. It uses the same drivers as the MDR-V150 and ZX100 - the only improvement is the bling bling design.
The ZX600 doesn't fair much better either.

For that budget and DJ look, I strongly recommend the AKG K518. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 12
Nah - those don't have good value either.
Maybe the HD419 - I really liked that one - good value for money too. But the cable seems a touch flimsy, so it needs pampering.

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Hi, I have recently been roadtesting many headphones as I'm looking to upgrade from my Sony ZX-600s. I recently listened to some NAD headphones that were £250. To be honest they weren't that much better than the Sony's with my iphone 4s! 

I personally find the Sony's have a soft treble, punchyish but deep bass (not as powerful as Dre's but good for the money!), and sound inoffensive. They don't sound 'big and airy' but for £36 they're not bad. It also depends what kind of sound you want. I live a deep and punchy bass whereas many audiophile headphones seem to be more about absolute detail, and can be shy on bass. I don't understand this as if you go and hear a jazz band or go to a gig, the bass sounds bassy! 

I also listened to some PSBs, Sennheisers 5xx series, Dre Beats Mixr, Monster DNAs etc and they all vary dramatically in sound signature. My Sony's did not sound inferior, only different. My advice is listen to them at a local electrical store and see what you think!

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 12
  Hi, I have recently been roadtesting many headphones as I'm looking to upgrade from my Sony ZX-600s. I recently listened to some NAD headphones that were £250. To be honest they weren't that much better than the Sony's with my iphone 4s! 

I personally find the Sony's have a soft treble, punchyish but deep bass (not as powerful as Dre's but good for the money!), and sound inoffensive. They don't sound 'big and airy' but for £36 they're not bad. It also depends what kind of sound you want. I live a deep and punchy bass whereas many audiophile headphones seem to be more about absolute detail, and can be shy on bass. I don't understand this as if you go and hear a jazz band or go to a gig, the bass sounds bassy! 

I also listened to some PSBs, Sennheisers 5xx series, Dre Beats Mixr, Monster DNAs etc and they all vary dramatically in sound signature. My Sony's did not sound inferior, only different. My advice is listen to them at a local electrical store and see what you think!

There are also many "audiophile" grade headphones that have a lot of rich textured bass - the good ones just start at higher prices than the good open-back bass-shy models. 
This is just simple physics - it's easier to produce really good open-back bass-light headphones than super bassy ones.

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 12
"fuller sound" doesn't necessitate "more bass" - this also includes better detail retrieval and dynamic range.

If you're interested in getting a headphone that has 'the lot' you might want to have a look at portable closed back headphones - they're all singing, all dancing in that you can use them anywhere, they look good, and they have good sound, and most of them have accentuated bass to make up for the busy outdoors when bass perception is the first thing to diminish amongst the background noise.
Take a look here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators 

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for that. I'm actually waiting for a pair of V moda M100s to turn up next week. Good reviews on here and people seem to suggest there's enough midrange too for such a bass heavy headphone. Still, you can't tell until you put them on!

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 12
  Nah - those don't have good value either.
Maybe the HD419 - I really liked that one - good value for money too. But the cable seems a touch flimsy, so it needs pampering.

I recently got the HD419 and while they were ok I returned them because I was looking for more bass and decided to try out the Soul SL150 since I got them for $63 on amazon and since I returning the HD419 I am only paying 30 more then I did for the HD419. From most reviews that I could gather they sound the best out of the rapper branded headphones and I like the portability of them. I am trying to keep the budget lower then $100 which would keep Audiophile type headphones out of my price range

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for that. I'm actually waiting for a pair of V moda M100s to turn up next week. Good reviews on here and people seem to suggest there's enough midrange too for such a bass heavy headphone. Still, you can't tell until you put them on!

From reviews they sound perfect for me.... just don't feel like paying $300 on a pair of headphones at the moment :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back