Should I get the Grado RS-2?
Apr 1, 2007 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

makasin

100+ Head-Fier
Ok guys so I have the Sennheiser HD650s that I love, and I still have my Grado SR225s because I keep hesitating on selling them, but I also promised to sell them to my friend. However, I have been reading a lot about the RS2 as well as the MS-Pro's. I love the Grado sound, but it can be a bit much sometimes. Ideally, I would like something like the 225s that goes deeper in the bass, perhaps a little bit warmer and/or more musical. Can someone give me a comparison between the RS2 and the ones that I have? I am really curious about the wooden cans, they look so nice and look as though they would sound "natural" due to their natural nature hehe. Would it mate swell with my GLite?
What about the MS-Pro? I hear its supposed to be more neutral, but the ticket price is a bit high. Are the RS2s good enough to trade both my current cans for?

Apr 1, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 20
Hmm they certainly would be an excellent replacement for your 225's and I think they have all the qualities you are looking for. They should pair very well with the Glite, the design WAS made for low impedance phones after all.

As to whether it's worth trading your HD650 in also, that's a question only you can answer. Personally I'm not much for the HD650 sound signature, but it seems like you enjoy yours. Get the RS-2's and sell whichever one you don't like on the used forums
tongue.gif
I think you are trying to get an answer whether it's worth it to trade in the Sennheiser sound for Grado and that's a question only you can answer. Both are excellent headphones and I think they are on similar levels.

I've never heard the MS-pro. Aren't they supposed to be more like RS-1's?

Apr 1, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 20
I hear the MS Pros use the same chamber as RS1 but are more 'neutral' compared to the RS1s.
Yeah, I really kinda feel freaked out getting rid of the SR225s haha. I am away from them for the moment (only brought the 650s with me for spring break), but I guess I will have the answer tomorrow when I try out the 225s again. This time, im gonna apply some tape on the bowl pads, I hear it increases the bass considerably. If this turns out to be enough bass, then I think the RS2s would be pretty good for me.
However, I just socket-modded the 650's foam pads and am enjoying them immensely right now. Crap, they probably wont sell as well with the holes in the foam pads as opposed to stock. I should just get both! I wish I could be a chemist who synthesizes money....

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 20
I did a lot of studying last year to find the right upgrade to my MS-1s, and the cans that best fit my criteria were the MS2i, the RS-2 and the MS-Pro.

The impression I took away from lots of study of tons of notes was that the RS-2 and MS-Pro were quite actually similar. They both had about the best bass in all of Grago/Alessandro short of the GS1K with the MS-Pro being slightly better than RS-1.(!) they both had(in comparison to MS2i and RS-1)a bit of roll off in the upper range. And better soundstage than MS2i. They both were slightly better with classical and were of course a lot lighter. The MS-Pro was felt to slightly beat out the RS-2 in most every category though with the MS-Pro even slightly ahead of the RS-1 in the area of lack of coloration. The amount of data I had for these suppositions numbers less than ten actual comparisons with RS-1 and MS-Pro, so take that in consideration. The data as small as it is is rather consistent though. There was actually lots more stuff to read on the RS-2. Pretty impressive!

I picked the MS2i because they were closest to my MS-1s in sonic signature, and because I felt my system was not quite up to the standards required to do the woodies justice. And because; when I got a clue from our oldest daughter that perhaps new phones were in sight for my birthday if the price wasn't TOO high, and since the jump from MS2i to RS-2 was nearly $200.....!

I had done a fair amount of reading on Keven Gilmores' amps, and the Glite is certainly one of my favorites. If I didn't have to get my nose so close to the soldering iron with advancing age, I had actually considered building a Dynalo. But the Glite with the wal-wart power supply is a good way to get a very good amp at a very good price that works very well with both high and low impedance phones, and which can also be made better yet with their own dedicated power supply as a later date purchase. There are actually lots of tests and reviews using both top-tier Grados and Senns with this amp that are quite impressive!

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 20
If you like your SR225 so much why upgrade to any phones...

Well, RS2 is nothing like SR225, better in almost every aria, but they are not warm sounding at all. You have HD650, which is dark/warm sounding phones, and SR225, which is also pretty warm, but not dark sounding. So the question is, would you like RS2 that much after all? Not sure, to tell you the true. Maybe RS1 will sweet better to your sound preferences. However something different is always interesting to try and RS2 is worth every dollar, IMO.

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 20
I thought the RS2 was warmer than the RS1s? I read that the RS1s are more "colored" , colored as in rolled off or really forward?
Basically, I would like a better SR225 that is perhaps a bit less harsh and more musical.

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 20
I guess as much as I would love a new pair of cans, I think I would see a better improvement by upgrading my DAC to a 0404 and getting an Equinox cable. Anyone think thats a good idea? Any comments on such a setup? How do you think the sound should change with these 2 upgrades? I just did the socket mod for the foam pads and noticed a little improvement in the mids.

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the RS2 was warmer than the RS1s? I read that the RS1s are more "colored" , colored as in rolled off or really forward?
Basically, I would like a better SR225 that is perhaps a bit less harsh and more musical.

My impression is that the SR-225 and RS-1 are about as close as you can get within the Grado stable of having the "same" sound. The RS-1 does a better job of producing it of course, but there are a number of similarities there in the way music is presented.

And yes; my impression is also that the RS-2 is much warmer than RS-1 due to the slightly rolled off top end in comparison to the RS-1.

My impression of the "coloring" is that the RS-1 is more lively and exciting than both RS-2 and MS-Pro. The RS-1 is still considered by many as the ultimate(current production)Grado. Not "entirely" true to the music, but who cares, it's close enough and it's a lot of fun!! Where the RS-2 and MS-Pro are perhaps a bit more neutral.

My interpretation my not be entirely accurate, but it's as close as I can get it from my old notes clouded by a years absence!

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 20
Damn, now Im back to thinking about the RS2s, because a completely different sound is probably better than trying to change the sound of my senns. How is the comfort of the RS2? Pretty much on par with the 225s?
Those pads hurt my ears so bad. I just listened to the 225s for the first time in 3 months for longer than 2 hours and man my ears feel slightly raw.

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 20
I wouldn't let go of the 650 just yet since they're considered to be quite different from the Grados.

As for the 225...I think it'd be safe for you to trade them in...since it's less of a change going up the Grado tree rather than switching to a different brand altogether. If you like your GLite with the SR225, odds are pretty good that you'll like the RS2, RS1 and MS-Pro. I personally like the RS1 A LOT! Even though Alessandros are more neutral and less coloured, I think what makes the Grados unique is their presentation of the music.

I guess I like the coloration that Grados provide, so my vote goes to the RS1 and RS2. Also to keep in mind...compared to the RS2s, the RS1 and MS-Pro have the freebies (ext. cable and adapter) that come with them...adds value...and also prevents you from thinking "what if I upgraded to..." for a bit longer and you won't lose all that money in the process...
rs1smile.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 20
Just wonder what you will be thinking about RS2 warmth. When you buy them, please let us know. And dont sell your SR225 before you have RS2, cos you can hear the difference by your own ears, and thats the most important thing. And believe me, you will be surprised, very much so.
RS2 are everything but not warm. Or my understanding about warmth is just different from the rest, I guess...
They are very musical, pure and cristal clear sounding with fresh breeze on the top. Much detaild than RS1. You can hear every little thing and thats only because they are not colored as RS1 are.
Coloration of RS1 was killing to my ears, cos it wasnt natural at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, now Im back to thinking about the RS2s, because a completely different sound is probably better than trying to change the sound of my senns. How is the comfort of the RS2? Pretty much on par with the 225s?
Those pads hurt my ears so bad. I just listened to the 225s for the first time in 3 months for longer than 2 hours and man my ears feel slightly raw.

Apr 2, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 20
I would be interested in your experience going from the 225 to the RS-2. I am considering whether I want to go from my HF-1 to the RS-2 or RS-1. I will be spending a lot of time with both at HeadFest hopefully.

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 20
Ok, yeah I am about to pull the trigger a pair so I will definitely keep you up to date on this. Im excited!
Maybe it will be perfect for me so much that I wont need the HD650s (kinda hope so, so I can get some money back, but probably not the case since I love those guys)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back