Should I Get the Cowon D2 or D2+?
Mar 29, 2009 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Starsky5000

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. My Cowon U3 is dead & now i need a good replacement.

EXCELLENT Sound quality is what i want above anything else.

All my music is encoded in FLAC. I have about 75 songs total and 4 GB should be more than enough space.

I am seriously looking at the Cowon D2 & the new D2+.

I can get the Cowon D2 4GB for $99 & the Cowon D2+ for $139.

What do you suggest outta the D2 & D2+?

Also is their a screen protector & good case for this player?

How do you add album art to the D2? Also where can i find album art covers for D2 would amazon.com be a good place for that?

If you can recommend another flash player that supports FLAC with excellent sound quality please let me know?

Any comments appreciated. Good, Bad or Ugly.

Thank You All.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 19
What about the Cowon Iaudio 7?

I can get one of these Cowon Iaudio 7 4GB with a free carrying case & AC adapter for $99.

But is the sound quality of the Iaudio 7 good or better than the D2? This is the most IMPORTANT question. Also it has 60 hours max battery life for audio, that's 8 hours more battery life than the D2.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 19
I had my D2 for almost two years now. Still going strong, including the battery life. The difference between D2 and D2+ is just the software as far as i understand. D2+ comes with BBE+ which is upgrade from the BBE that original D2 comes with.
The hardware is identical. So my answer is go for D2 for less. The reason, you can load the D2+ firmware on the D2 which i have.
Look at this forum for info
D2+ FW running and fully functional - iAudiophile.net Forums

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 19
Well if it only costs $10-20 more (as it does here in AUS) why not go for the D2+? That way you don't need to worry about "hacking" updates/upgrades onto the unit when cowon releases them. And it comes in the all black finish
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 19
by the looks of it though, its $40USD difference in price between then. which is quite a substantial amount (almost 50%). but yeah all the same its probably worth it for the time saved on installing updates and I guess updats may not always be available for the older D2.

and OP: WTH 75 songs wow man, dont you get sick of them??

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 19
ernieBob - Not sure whether it's in all countries, but I'm pretty sure that the D2+ doesn't come with an AC adaptor here in Oz. I prefer the look of the new D2+, but I would also want an AC adaptor which would make it approx $50 more than the standard D2.

I'm still deciding whether it's worth it, because I personally don't place any value on the BBE upgrade.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 19
I have a D2 and an Iaudio 7, just wanted to say that I prefer the sound from the I7, the bass isn't rolled off like on the D2 and it has a slightly warmer sound. If you are going purely for music then it's definately worth considering. Obviously the D2 is better for video and in my opinion looks nicer, but I don't really use it now I have the 7.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 19
Anythingbutipod had a guide to load the D2+ firmware on D2. But not really recommended thou, it works.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by theitchybeard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a D2 and an Iaudio 7, just wanted to say that I prefer the sound from the I7, the bass isn't rolled off like on the D2 and it has a slightly warmer sound. If you are going purely for music then it's definately worth considering. Obviously the D2 is better for video and in my opinion looks nicer, but I don't really use it now I have the 7.

Thank You! I'm seriously considering the either the Iaudio 7 or D2. Right now it's leaning towards the IAudio7 because excellent sound quality is all i am after & the Iaudio7 should be good enough for that. I won't be using anything else & that will go to waste.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 19
the iaudio 7 hisses much more than the d2 - so if that is sq to you, then have at it. im quite sure that the iaudio 7 suffers the same bass roll off as the entire cowon line but then i don't have my stats at my fingertips.

d2 has been a good benchmark for a low noise headphone out for amping for a long time and the ia7 has not had the same stellar placement.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 19
I dont notice any hiss on my I7.

On a side note, I should write a review on the i7. I think it often gets overlooked because it doesnt have the silly touch screen or the fancy expandable memory slots of it's big brothers.

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont notice any hiss on my I7.

On a side note, I should write a review on the i7. I think it often gets overlooked because it doesnt have the silly touch screen or the fancy expandable memory slots of it's big brothers.

Yeah, but the i7 would be perfect with expandable memory
frown.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 19
I really like that IAudio 7 (only $99 bucks & comes with an AC charger & case). Since it's only going to be for music and apparently it does a GREAT job at that. But i'm kinda torn a little because of the D2?

But what got me worried is hearing about bass roll-off & headphones hisses? LoL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back