Should I get the AD2000?
May 20, 2010 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Bigrock2150

Member of the Trade: TechHeroMods
Hey Everyone!
I'm in need of some new Cans. As of now I own the ad700 and a pair of grado 225i's. The Grado's are a nice Can but in all honesty, they are far to "bright/in your face" for me (My ears are kinda sensitive). I owned the Hd555 at one point and I liked the laid back feel to them although the ad700 won me over in the end. I considered buying the hd650 but I don't have the funds to spend all that $$$ on an amp to drive them. From what I've heard, the hd650 is insanely difficult to drive. I listen to a wide variety of music (Rock, Classical, Hip Hop, R&B). Don''t listen to Jazz much though. 

So I guess I just have a few questions:

1. Can the Upper mids/highs get harsh?
2. Are there better phones that might suit me better? Closed cans with good soundstage is ok as well.
3. Are the Ad2000's worth the upgrade from the ad700's?
4. Could I get away with spending less than $300 on an amp to pair with the ad2000?

Thanks in advance for help and feedback!
-Bigrock2150

May 21, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 22
Thank you for the great reference list, Otakusound
The AD2000s are a completely different beast from the lower level Audio Technica cans. They also scale up very well depending on the DAC and amp used. IMO, although you can technically drive the AD2000s from cheap amps, I would advise against getting the AD2000 unless you are going to invest quite a bit in the other components in the chain. Just my 2 cents

May 21, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 22
These are not laid back. So if you are looking for that, I suggest senheissers or even Denons.

Oh I guess to reply to the other questions:

I only have the AD2000 for what 3 days now? They sound forward in the mids, however not harsh (but that differs on what we can tolerate)

AD2000 kicks the AD700 in the testicles and doesn't apologize. Yea I hate the AD700, so maybe its my bias.

As for Amp I only used them with my DA-152 and it sounds great. I'm sure you don't need a SUPER EXPENSIVE OMG NORMAL PEOPLE CANT AFFORD THIS kind of amp. A nice Dynalo will go along way with these. Maybe I'll try these cans unamped in a sec and get back to you.

May 21, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 22
The treble was never harsh to my ears. It's mids are much more prominent. As for an amp, Gilmore Lite or any amp based on the Dynalo design works very well for around the pricing stated. Of course with better amps like the Zana Deux, you'll hear some differences. :wink:

May 21, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 22
I heard them on a Zana Duex when I when to pick up mine and I got to compare them to the HD600s Craig  had up there.  I actually thought they kicked A on the 600s and I like Sennheisers, I own 650s and 800s.

May 21, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks everyone for your advice/recommendations. I read somewhere that the ad2000's sound decent even out of an Ipod, so I figured it would sound nice out of a cheaper amp. I've been looking in to the Denon line for a while now as well, so that could be an option for me. I've been neglecting to try closed cans because I love that blissful airy sound that Closed cans can't seem to produce; although I haven't really tested out some of the nicer closed back Cans. Since I listen to classical so often I really need that soundstage, and from what I've read in a few reviews (special thanks to Otakusound for the links) the ad2000 kinda lacks in the soundstage department in comparison to the ad700. 

I'm in love with the sound sig. of the ad700's but the bass is terribly lacking and hard to listen to certain songs, especially Hip Hop songs. I think I would be content with a headphone that just did everything the ad700 did but with x3 bass. Better imaging wouldn't hurt either.

I know that the ad2000's are kinda "in your face" like Grados, and I really don't mind "in your face" as long as it isn't painfully bright and harsh. But If the ad2000 is as intense as my 225i, I'm running in a different direction without a doubt. I dunno, maybe I should just try to audition a pair of Denons and see if I like what I hear....
Thanks again everyone!
L3000.gif

May 21, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 22
AD2000 are not good at r&b and hip hop. Switching from my D7000 to AD2000, my hip hop music (or anything with synthetic bass) sounded worse but every other genre sounded so clearer (forward mids). With that said, however, the D7000 is definatly the more superior all around cans. The D7000s are not airy although it have impressive soundstage for a closed cans. If you are not used to closed cans sound you should audition some first.

The AD2000 is more airy and have great soundstage. Not as airy or large as the AD700 but its miles ahead of it in presentation of everything else. I have never heard the 225i so I can't judge on the AD2000 presentation of mids vs the Grados. Maybe look at the W1000x? I read it has more bass and slightly forward mids as well. Perhaps the W1000x will do better for your genres. But as far as I hear, the AD2000 are not bass heavy cans and listening to popular music these days are slighty lacking.

May 21, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 22
(to happyxix) If I were to get something in the denon line it would probably be the d2000. From what I've read, the d2000 is the best for money vs performance. A closed can might not be such a bad idea for me, it would pair nicely with my headphones I have already. Ad700 for classical and maybe a d2000 for rock and Hip Hop. 

It would be nice to just have one phone that does the job with everything but at my budget (broke college student) I'm not so sure thats even possible.

Anyway.... I'll have some time to think it over while I'm modding the shitzu out of these grado 225i. 

May 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 22
AD2000 or Denon D2000?

Quote:
AD2000 are not good at r&b and hip hop. Switching from my D7000 to AD2000, my hip hop music (or anything with synthetic bass) sounded worse but every other genre sounded so clearer (forward mids). With that said, however, the D7000 is definatly the more superior all around cans. The D7000s are not airy although it have impressive soundstage for a closed cans. If you are not used to closed cans sound you should audition some first.

The AD2000 is more airy and have great soundstage. Not as airy or large as the AD700 but its miles ahead of it in presentation of everything else. I have never heard the 225i so I can't judge on the AD2000 presentation of mids vs the Grados. Maybe look at the W1000x? I read it has more bass and slightly forward mids as well. Perhaps the W1000x will do better for your genres. But as far as I hear, the AD2000 are not bass heavy cans and listening to popular music these days are slighty lacking.

May 21, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #11 of 22
The AD2000 surely is a great headphone. I used it with the lowest of low end amps and did find it slighty lacking in bass quantity. I would have liked to try it with my current rig, as it's much better in the bass departement.

It had one of the best midrange I've heard. Very upfront and clear. The midrange is a bit coloured, but for most songs I found it very airy, transparent and natural sounding.

The hights were good, never harsh, but lacked the last bit of clarity and sparkle that my RS1 had, IIRC. (RS1 is a VERY sparkly headphone though.)

May 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 22
If you like the sound of the AD700 then get the D2000.

I personally am a one home headphone kind of guy so I am always searching for that jack of all trade.. MASTER OF EVERYTHING.

But yea, I too am a college student so I don't dare tasting the over $1000 headphones just in case I want them. I'll save that until I get an actual job and not the part time internship I have now =[

May 22, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 22

1. No, not for me at least. YMMV though (since you are sensitive to brightness). I owned a pair of MS2s and thought those weren't harsh either. The only pair of headphones I thought was bordering on harsh was the HFI780s and those were still within an acceptable range. 

2. There may be, depending on your budget and what kind of sound signature you want. The mids on the AD2000s are very forward but very sweet. Almost engrossing, however, the coloration for the midrange isn't widely loved. You might need to audition them before buying them. The RS1s are also quite good too. Very lush midrange, and an arguably better high end than AD2000s. Owning both the RS1 and AD2000 would be great compliments for each other. 

3. By far. I have owned the AD700s and the AD2000s and the AD2Ks trump it in many ways, BUT the AD700s have a wider soundstage than the AD2000s which are far more in your face. 

4. Yes, try some SS amps. The HA-006+ is being sold for 280 dollars. 

For me, the AD2000s are wonderful. My breadth of experience with headphones is low in comparison to many others, but the AD2000 rings close to the RS1, and some Stax models. The AD2000s really impress with female vocals. To put things in perspective, the AD2000s are probably the most emotionally involving headphones I have ever owned, not heard(that throne still belongs to the Stax Omega IIs). I was actually brought to tears by Kawari Eri's rendition of Undine. But once again, i'm very drawn into the sound signature of the AD2Ks, and I must concede that they too have their weaknesses, but perhaps it's best to simply audition a pair and see if it's for you. Don't spend the 400 dollars on a pair unless you know the sound signature is something you want. The D2000 is a good place to start expanding your taste in sound signatures so give those a try too.

May 22, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 22
Thanks for your opinion seraphjei ! The ad2000's are most likely in my future, but probably not in my nearest future. I think you have a point about not spending all the cash on the ad2000 without testing them out first. I'm thinking the d2000 might be a decent phone to tryout b4 I get into more spendy options like the ad2000....

I've been known to have upgraditis so who knows what lies in my future.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back