Should I get Shure headphones?
Mar 13, 2009 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MTsoul

New Head-Fier
I ran across a deal that'd let me purchase the SE110 - SE530 series for half price. First of all, is this a really good deal or a mediocre deal? Even if it's really good, I'm not sure if I should get it.

I currently have a pair of Sony Fontopia MDR-EX51LP. I have two questions.

1. Is this a good pair of headphones? I really have no other earbuds to compare to. It's obviously better than the iPod earbuds. But if you had to rank this against one of the Shure headphones, where would it stand?

2. I bought this in 2004, and I think the quality has degraded a little. The highs sound a bit too high and the meds seem to be fading away. Is this likely?

I'm looking for a reasons to justify the purchase of some new ear buds. I'm just not sure how much of an improvement the Shure earbuds would be, looking at its price, even though it's discounted.

Thanks.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTsoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ran across a deal that'd let me purchase the SE110 - SE530 series for half price. First of all, is this a really good deal or a mediocre deal? Even if it's really good, I'm not sure if I should get it.

1. Is this a good pair of headphones? I really have no other earbuds to compare to. It's obviously better than the iPod earbuds. But if you had to rank this against one of the Shure headphones, where would it stand?

2. I bought this in 2004, and I think the quality has degraded a little. The highs sound a bit too high and the meds seem to be fading away. Is this likely?

I'm looking for a reasons to justify the purchase of some new ear buds. I'm just not sure how much of an improvement the Shure earbuds would be, looking at its price, even though it's discounted.

Thanks.

If you can get a discount, then stay away from 110's and 210's as those will not show enough improvement over your fontopia to be of worth. It's starting from the 310's that you should start considering. 310's are well liked, 420 is rarely talked about (but supposedly the most neutral sounding of the SE series), and if you haven't noticed from the first page, 530's are still all the buzz.
biggrin.gif
For that kind of a discount, I'd just go straight to the 530's (half price of their MSRP should be around $200-250 ball park so that's very good price for a new 530)

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 19
But who'd buy second handed IEM? I sure wouldn't.

The only other headphones I have in comparison is Sennheiser HD580. I don't know if I'd want to shell out $225 for a pair of IEMs when I already have a pair, and when my HD580 cost me $160... But then again, the SE310 is $125 for me as well, so not far from the 580...

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Why not?
confused_face(1).gif
The only thing that the person won't want are the tips (which people can buy on their own), and in some cases buying used may even prove to be beneficial (such as some Dynamic IEM's, if they're already burned in then that saves the trouble for the second owner). Second hand IEM's sell all the time here on Head-fi, check the Buy/Sell forum.

I'm not sure about 580's sound signature, but SE530's are supposed to close in overall sound signature to HD600/650.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

The only other headphones I have in comparison is Sennheiser HD580. I don't know if I'd want to shell out $225 for a pair of IEMs when I already have a pair, and when my HD580 cost me $160... But then again, the SE310 is $125 for me as well, so not far from the 580...

lol. rubbing alcohol goes a long way. the tips are replaceable for a reason.

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 19
I'd advise to read up on the over-ear part of the cables cracking. Mine have just done this after two years of (admittedly) heavy use. I've searched on various web sites and found that it's a common problem, especially on the e range eg e2,e3,e4 and even the 530s. Not sure how the se models fare.

I think I read on here that cleaning the cables helps but thats a hassle when you are on the move.

I rang the UK sevice line yesterday and they say they have changed the chemicals in the cables so anything manufactured in the last 6-8 months should be better.

I'm currently toying with going for SE530s but I don't think I want to risk it.

Other than that warning, I really loved my E4gs.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 19
Shure lowend headphones will sound clearer, but will be lacking in bass compared to the sony ones which designed for that bass impact but muffles everything else.

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #14 of 19
It's an employee discount at where I work. It's pretty sweet.
smily_headphones1.gif

This really calls for some hearing tests... I'll see if I can find somebody with these in my area. Thanks guys.

//edit. Well it seems like Amazon is selling it at $277. I don't have much of a deal here anyway, it seems...

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Thanks.

DO NOT!!!! buy Shure's without the warranty. They are great sounding, but have the dreaded cable rot problem. Shure will replace them for 2 years IF you have a receipt from an authorized dealer. if not you are SOL. It is not worth a few bucks saving to nix the warranty IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back