Should i get rid of Phonak Audeo?
Jul 17, 2011 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nau53

New Head-Fier
Hi there! I'm new to this forum.

Recently i made research at forum to choose reliable headphones with mic for everyday use with iPhone. I had very few options: no microphonics, easy to wear, microphone for iPhone and good sound. So i check this forum, specially Multi-IEM review thread and finally choose Audeo because of nice sound and zero microphonics (as of review). 

It is arrived for a while ago i tested it and become upset. This Phonaks have HUGE microphone effect. If i would touch or knock upper cable (which is thinner) i can hear all this in my head as i would be in a jar. It is almost imposible for me to use them while active (like biking, running and even walking) because i always feel this knocks in my head. Second upset is sound - it is poor, even my old cheap Sony EX85 sounds much better than this Phonaks.

I tried to wear it all the possible ways i tried all the eartips which i received in box and result is horrible always.

Could you tell me if Audeo is crap and i should buy something else? Any advice?
Or is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 9
Maybe you just don't like the way they sound, but they are definately very good earphones and not horrible at all. Maybe you could elaborate what exactly you like better with the Sonys? Are you sure you had a proper seal with the eartips you used? Sorry, but with the little information you give there is nothing else I could tell you.

Microphonics are IMHO very little with the Phonak compared to other IEMs I've heard. The Sony EX85 are not a fully closed design AFAIK. Maybe that's why you didn't have the same issues with them (or you might have not had a seal with them).

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Maybe you just don't like the way they sound, but they are definately very good earphones and not horrible at all. Maybe you could elaborate what exactly you like better with the Sonys? Are you sure you had a proper seal with the eartips you used? Sorry, but with the little information you give there is nothing else I could tell you.

Microphonics are IMHO very little with the Phonak compared to other IEMs I've heard. The Sony EX85 are not a fully closed design AFAIK. Maybe that's why you didn't have the same issues with them (or you might have not had a seal with them).

(Pff, last time I was on these forums, was probably like a year or 2? :p)

But these are quite good in-ear monitors. I've had them, they were very nice.

I agree with meltie.

I get the impression you didn't get a good seal. That's quite important. Also, it takes a while to adapt to the sound. So you might want to listen to those headphones only for a week or something to kind of get used to the sound signature. (also, cleaning your ears might be a problem too, although that's kind of uncommon :p

Also, if you have that amount of microphonics, then I guess no other earphone could give you less microphonics, because the PFE's have near non-existent microphonics. They are meant to be worn over your ear. That's the usual way to avoid microphonics. maybe you could upload an image of your ear, when wearing the PFE's, that might help.

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 9
A description of just how you find the Phonak's sound crappy compared to the Sonys would be really helpful in diagnosing the problem, whether it be a problem with fit or just your sound preference.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 18, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
(Pff, last time I was on these forums, was probably like a year or 2? :p)

But these are quite good in-ear monitors. I've had them, they were very nice.

I agree with meltie.

I get the impression you didn't get a good seal. That's quite important. Also, it takes a while to adapt to the sound. So you might want to listen to those headphones only for a week or something to kind of get used to the sound signature. (also, cleaning your ears might be a problem too, although that's kind of uncommon :p

Also, if you have that amount of microphonics, then I guess no other earphone could give you less microphonics, because the PFE's have near non-existent microphonics. They are meant to be worn over your ear. That's the usual way to avoid microphonics. maybe you could upload an image of your ear, when wearing the PFE's, that might help.

thanks for reply, all positive reply and zero negative made me think I'm doing something wrong. And i found. Too good seal seems to be the problem :) .

version i have is Perfect Bass (reduced package compared to usual one) and no ear guides. Manuals tells that i can wear it both ways (over the ear or down), i tried all the tips in position cable down and found that smallest is the best (same size which i use with Sony). Others was to filmsy with poor sound and no bass. Then i tried to use it worn over the ear and came it's slightly better in terms of microphonics but still horrible. Only after your words i tried all the tips in position over the ear and found that biggest one sits much better than in position cable down and gives nice sound and comparable microphonics (comparing with Sony).

thanks a lot

only problem is where to buy this ear guides?

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 9
http://na.audeoworld.com/products/accessories/

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Try getting a shirt clip and putting the wire under your shirt. That usually helps. Wearing them over the ear also reduces a lot of microphonics, but most IEMs will have some sort of microphonics. Hearing your footsteps while wearing them is called bone conduction (IIRC) and is pretty much unavoidable.

Reading your description of their "poor sound" leads me to believe that you prefer IEMs with a lot of bass. The PFE Perfect Bass does not deliver bass in quantity, but quality. You should try out the Brainwavz M2 and see how you like em.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Try getting a shirt clip and putting the wire under your shirt. That usually helps. Wearing them over the ear also reduces a lot of microphonics, but most IEMs will have some sort of microphonics. Hearing your footsteps while wearing them is called bone conduction (IIRC) and is pretty much unavoidable.

Reading your description of their "poor sound" leads me to believe that you prefer IEMs with a lot of bass. The PFE Perfect Bass does not deliver bass in quantity, but quality. You should try out the Brainwavz M2 and see how you like em.

Read two-three posts up (three-four now).  He had a bad seal.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 9
That's what I get for skimming only the middle of his post
tongue.gif

Quote:
Read two-three posts up (three-four now).  He had a bad seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back