Should I Get My Singlepower Supra Balanced?
Jan 13, 2006 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
I have had a Singlepower Supra stock model for about a year and a half. I like it very much, but I now have a modded balanced source, and the person you modded my source believes that the balanced outputs represent a substantial improvement over the RCA. So . . . I am thinking of having my Supra modded and turned into an XLR (which has the balanced outputs). I have contacted Mikhail, and he has told me he can modify my current model, and the price is pretty reasonable.

Anyway, I would like to hear from anyone else who has a Supra XLR, or any balanced Singlepower amp for that matter, as to your impressions of the audible differences between the balanced and single-ended configurations. I would also be interested in hearing others' thoughts on the audible benefits of going with a balanced amp. Thanks in advance for your input.

Jan 13, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 51
Send a pm to Woodcans. He converted his maxed out MPX to a balanced Supra within the past year. He said it sounds pretty damn good, with a very wide soundstage.

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 51
Only if you let me borrow it for a month or two to assure quality burn-in!
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 51
I owned the SDS and up to that point never considered owning any other headphone amp I heard. When I got my balanced SDS-XLR.....HOLY S**T !!!!!!!!!! not even close. Take the great Singlepower sound, add a cleaner overall picture to the music, with depth and width of soundstage, along with genuine headphone imaging. Throw in deeper, tighter bass. Stir in a quieter/blacker background and......well, you get the picture. Jump all over the balanced amp.

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 51
Let me add this to my post above. I would also consider getting the amp switched to either 12sn7 tubes or get some of the adapters to use cheaper tubes. A half dozen NOS 6sn7 tubes a whack can get costly. Good luck.

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 51
Thanks, Tom and woodcans, these are the type of comments I'm looking for. Tom, good thought on the 12SN7's. How easy are those to find though?

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
Thanks, Tom and woodcans, these are the type of comments I'm looking for. Tom, good thought on the 12SN7's. How easy are those to find though?

How about the 5687 Tungsol as the gain tube and the General Electric 6BL7GTA/Sylvania 6BX7GT in the drivers and have mikhail turn up the amprage on the tubes then maybe go ballanced. In the MPX3 this turned my amp into a tiger what a differance!

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 51
Since you have the HD650, I highly recommend going balanced. I heard the balanced HD650 through the blockhead and SDS-XLR and coudn't go back to single-ended mode. The sonic difference is NOT subtle. The ultra expansive soundstage is the first thing I noticed. Then the tight bass. The HD650s seem very fast and dynamic in balanced mode. This experience drove me to order an SDS-XLR.

In your case, however, you already have a Supra. One option is to spend the dough on another headphone, perhaps a Sony R10 or AT L3000? What about just getting an adapter to try the 5687/6BL7 tube set? I believe SACDLOVER commented that this tube set enabled his Supra to project a soundstage almost as expansive as that of the Supra-XLR.

From one counselor to another, my ultimate recommendation if you love the HD650 sound is to just get an SDS-XLR and be done with it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Since you have the HD650, I highly recommend going balanced. I heard the balanced HD650 through the blockhead and SDS-XLR and coudn't go back to single-ended mode. The sonic difference is NOT subtle. The ultra expansive soundstage is the first thing I noticed. Then the tight bass. The HD650s seem very fast and dynamic in balanced mode. This experience drove me to order an SDS-XLR.

In your case, however, you already have a Supra. One option is to spend the dough on another headphone, perhaps a Sony R10 or AT L3000? What about just getting an adapter to try the 5687/6BL7 tube set? I believe SACDLOVER commented that this tube set enabled his Supra to project a soundstage almost as expansive as that of the Supra-XLR.

From one counselor to another, my ultimate recommendation if you love the HD650 sound is to just get an SDS-XLR and be done with it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Having used the L3000 with the SDS and the 650/Zu through the SDS-XLR, I dont think the L3000 can compete on any level with the 650/Zu combo when run balanced(at least through the SDS-XLR).
Single ended is another story. The L3000 seems faster with better bass and a cleaner treble. However all this changed in favor of the 650/Zu when run balanced with the Singlepower amp. The sound stage is not even close in favor of the 650. I would love to spend some time with one of the upper level phones run balanced through the Big Singlepower.
I would get the amp first and then if headphone upgrades are in the future get the phones recabled balanced.
BTW.....Listen to the counselor

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

How would you compare the SDS-XLR and the Blockhead? One option that I haven't ruled out is not to modify the Supra, but to go with a Balanced Home. Any thoughts?

Quote:

I'm not much of a fan of Sony cans, and I really like the Senn sound. I'll have to ask Earl about changing the tube set though.

Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

You are a bad man, PATB. A very bad man.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

How would you compare the SDS-XLR and the Blockhead? One option that I haven't ruled out is not to modify the Supra, but to go with a Balanced Home. Any thoughts?

I didn't compare them side by side so can't really comment. All I can say is that I agree with the blockhead posts on this site. The balanced headrooms are no hype. If I were to go solely with HD650s, I wouldn't mind going Max Balanced with the Alps RK50.

I went the SDS-XLR route because I will also use a balanced Qualia. I believe the Qualia can use a little tube goodness. I will also use a balanced RS-1 (and maybe R10
icon10.gif
) in the future. The SDS-XLR is probably the more versatile amp partly because of its tuberolling potential.

Quote:

You are a bad man, PATB. A very bad man.
evil_smiley.gif

You only live once.

Jan 14, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 51
I can only echo what's already been said. If you can go balanced, do it. You won't look back. I really like the HD-650 balanced, but the RS-1 and Qualia are improved even more.

I do agree completely with Tom. L3000 is a great single-ended headphone, but balanced headphones do leave it behind. Wait a minute. A balanced L3000 could be a thing of beauty...I really wish I hadn't just thought that
tongue.gif

I've already asked Mikhail to build a balanced R10 cable. It was only a matter of time.

Jan 14, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
I've already asked Mikhail to build a balanced R10 cable. It was only a matter of time.

Heh, I knew you'd break!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back