Should i get HD800 or HD800S for my Sony ZH1ES?
Aug 1, 2017 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

banco-sg

100+ Head-Fier
Should i get HD800 or HD800S for my Sony ZH1ES? Will ZH1ES warm and smooth character be enough to tame the HD800 harsh and revealing signature? Esp the 6khz? Or the HD800S would be a better bet (at greater cost...)?

I know it would be good if i can test them, but currently there are no places here that i can test both can together with the amp.

any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 22
The 800S has been dubbed simply as a better version of the 800. If your setup has a warm tone to it, I'd save the cash and stick with the original 800. I feel like the difference between the two is a lot smaller than people claim

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 22
I would have to agree with @cossix on this one... I have used the HD800 with the sony amp/dac and think its an excellent combo. The Sony is able to take off the slight edge of the HD800 and for that to me its perfect (among other reasons... that being that the TA-ZH1ES is great piece of gear to begin with). I don't think you would have any issue with the HD800s pairing with it either though...

We are down to our demo units at the moment of both HD800 and HD800s if you do decide you want either. We offer full warranty on our demo units and no sales tax...PM me if interested and most importantly- happy listening!

EDIT: I feel dumb now, just saw where you were from ha. that part about our stock would stand for everyone else interested in the states. I apologize!

-Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 1, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 22
I would go for the 800's as you can find them much cheaper especially used picked up a mint pair here and for $680 it was a steal I think. There are several reversible mods that can tame the highs a bit if you find them a problem. Most of my gear is on the warm side so I run them as is.

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 22
I would have to agree with @cossix on this one... I have used the HD800 with the sony amp/dac and think its an excellent combo. The Sony is able to take off the slight edge of the HD800 and for that to me its perfect (among other reasons... that being that the TA-ZH1ES is great piece of gear to begin with). I don't think you would have any issue with the HD800s pairing with it either though...

We are down to our demo units at the moment of both HD800 and HD800s if you do decide you want either. We offer full warranty on our demo units and no sales tax...PM me if interested and most importantly- happy listening!

EDIT: I feel dumb now, just saw where you were from ha. that part about our stock would stand for everyone else interested in the states. I apologize!

-Craig

Hahaha yeah, i am in the other part of the world. Based on your trial, do you reckon ZH1ES will be enough to tame HD800?

I would go for the 800's as you can find them much cheaper especially used picked up a mint pair here and for $680 it was a steal I think. There are several reversible mods that can tame the highs a bit if you find them a problem. Most of my gear is on the warm side so I run them as is.
Hmmm based on your gears, are they enough to tame unmodded HD800?

In that price range and open you might also check out the Elear.
I am looking something brighter than elear and more comfortable, so HD800(s) it is...

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 22
I listen to them as is like I said but I don't mind a bright headphone.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 22
Oh I love TA-ZH1ES with the HD800! Nothing needs to be added or taken away with that combo for me to enjoy it. Aka, no HD800 mod needed... Buke9 is correct though, supposedly the HD800 mod can cut down the upper highs if desired... I never listened to a modded pair so I can only give what others have said on here about it.

I have the HD800s hooked up to Elemental Watson and a Music hall cd player. Doing a quick a/b between HD800s and Elear, I was hearing the Elear to be sharper then the HD800s... BUT it might have been due to volume mis match (or synergy of both combos as well....) Turning up the volume a little more with the HD800s let the highs breathe more and the treble got more natural. Lower listening volume with the hd800s was changing the tone of the treble to be less "bright"
Edit: I love showing people what it starts to look like when I A/B stuff that people talk about ha. Wire spaghetti for days! Small price to pay for how fun my job is IMG_7536.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 5, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 22
I am still torn which headphone i should get lol, i even considered HD700 at this point of time, since it would be just a complimentary of my Z1R. The biggest issue is not many stores here has ZH1ES to try, only the official sony store has it...

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 22
I've listened to the HD800 with the SuperDupont mod and I definitely heard a difference in the highs. It went from piercing to insanely extended and not as sharp, though still sharp in its own sense.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #12 of 22
I've listened to the HD800 with the SuperDupont mod and I definitely heard a difference in the highs. It went from piercing to insanely extended and not as sharp, though still sharp in its own sense.
you feel like the sharpness that got taken off let you hear how extended it can go? listening to "The Wizard" by Uriah Heep now on Tidal masters and its sooooo SATISFYING

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 22
you feel like the sharpness that got taken off let you hear how extended it can go? listening to "The Wizard" by Uriah Heep now on Tidal masters and its sooooo SATISFYING

I'd say so. When the brain isn't blocking off intense sharp highs then it allows itself to open up to sounds. (made-up hypothesis)

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #15 of 22
I am still torn which headphone i should get lol, i even considered HD700 at this point of time, since it would be just a complimentary of my Z1R. The biggest issue is not many stores here has ZH1ES to try, only the official sony store has it...
You may try Connect-IT JEM outlet, there were ZH1ES and HD800(S) the last time I was there. Not sure if they still have them, but I think you can call them for confirmation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back