Should i get HD800 or HD800S for my Sony ZH1ES?
Aug 31, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #16 of 22
I have finally bought the HD800S, tbh, i don't really like it when it paired with my ZH1ES. I found it dull and lifeless, just no sparks at all.
But, when i paired with ifi iDSD BL, it's another story. Everything just came to life, and i finally found what i am looking for, fast and sparkly. I think they well compliment my Sony Signature series, just a shame that i have to use another AMP to do that...

I actually tested the elear as well, which i found more exciting to my ears than HD800S. Ultimately i decided not to get, it's way too heavy for long use and too similar to my Z1R, which can do almost everything better than elear and more comfortable.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #17 of 22
Newcomer here, is this thread still viable/alive? I'm also interested in this combination and would like to know more about it.

I've come to this conclusion for this combination, because of all the collected information I have gathered from both threads that the hd800s and the ta-zh1es are both a very respectable open back headphone and DAC/amp.

I'm looking for a setup (open back headphone and DAC/amp) for my musical playback. I'll be mostly hearing orchestra type(80% orchestra, 20% vocal) with this setup(already have a setup for vocal types). Any recommendations?

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #18 of 22
I recommended Superlux HD662 EVO. They are amazing have superb bass, crisp clear vocals... And ohh, the midtones are a amazing! Top notch.

Did I mention 90% outside sounds isolation / redustion? Yeah, right on.

You’re gonna feel like you in da club with em.

And 'ey! Pay no mind to waht Schwarzenegger says. His hearing is as good as his acting. And I saw no receipts for his headphones anyway...

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 22
Newcomer here, is this thread still viable/alive? I'm also interested in this combination and would like to know more about it.

I've come to this conclusion for this combination, because of all the collected information I have gathered from both threads that the hd800s and the ta-zh1es are both a very respectable open back headphone and DAC/amp.

I'm looking for a setup (open back headphone and DAC/amp) for my musical playback. I'll be mostly hearing orchestra type(80% orchestra, 20% vocal) with this setup(already have a setup for vocal types). Any recommendations?
The HD800s would be excellent for orchestra... the HD800 was known to be killer for that for years. The HD800s just adds more bass to the mix, and is slightly less revealing because of which.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #20 of 22
I would have to agree with @cossix on this one... I have used the HD800 with the sony amp/dac and think its an excellent combo. The Sony is able to take off the slight edge of the HD800 and for that to me its perfect (among other reasons... that being that the TA-ZH1ES is great piece of gear to begin with). I don't think you would have any issue with the HD800s pairing with it either though...

We are down to our demo units at the moment of both HD800 and HD800s if you do decide you want either. We offer full warranty on our demo units and no sales tax...PM me if interested and most importantly- happy listening!

EDIT: I feel dumb now, just saw where you were from ha. that part about our stock would stand for everyone else interested in the states. I apologize!

-Craig
Craig,

I have a question for you after watching your review for Z1R and Sony DAC/Amp. I have Z1R and Utopia. I am currently using Meridian Prime. Do you think Sony TA-ZH1ES would be good or upgrade?
How do you think the sony dac compared to Hugo TT?
Thanks.

Harry

Nov 9, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #21 of 22
You know what I haven’t heard the Meridian Prime so I can’t give any opinion on that-

But between the Sony versus the Hugo TT-

The Sony is darker and warmer to my ears, the TT being brighter in comparison. Z1R and the TA-ZH1ES is a match made in heaven, and the Utopia with the Hugo TT comes off as unrelenting detail. So it depends on how you want your sound presented to you.

I forget what the Utopia sounds like off the TA-ZH1ES, but I assume it’s great.

Really depends on what type of listen your looking for.

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #22 of 22
In my opinion warm dac dont work well with HD800S... when i bought Violectric V280 amp i was shocked how muddy everyhing sounded. Turns out it was dac fault, because when i change dac to Topping from Arcam irdac Everything sounded nice and balanced. HD800S is truly extremely transparent... Even bad cables can make it sound bad... With 1 usb cable for example i cant listen anything, because it make sound compressed, veiled and lifeless... For HD800S i just get great cables and some dac amp combo like hugo 2...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back