Should I get GS1000s?
Jul 13, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #31 of 49
Akathriel,

I think the GS1000 might be exactly what you are looking for.

Here are my thoughts:

You love your PF-1, but you would like to find a complementary headphone. You mention the soundstage as your main concern, and you mention that the music you would be listening to is ambient or orchestral based. In my opinion, GS1000 excels in these fields.

We have all three high-end Grados, RS-1, PS-1 and GS1000, in the house. I can easily justify owning them all - to me they sound different enough that I don't want to sell any of the phones.
gs1000.gif
Especially GS1000 portrays the music in a completely different way than RS-1 and PS-1 - the words "soundstage" and "headstage" describe the experience very well. PS-1 surpasses GS1000 in PRaT, but PRaT is by no means GS1000's weak point. PS-1's PRaT is simply so hard to top. Both GS1000 and PS-1 have plenty of resolution, but with PS-1 I sometimes find myself concentrating on the tiny details whereas GS1000 let's me see the whole picture. PS-1 would be an excellent headphone for monitoring purposes in a recording studio - I believe that's what they were made for originally. GS1000 sounstage sounds really natural to me - there is lots of air and and everything is smooth compared to PS-1's pinpoint accuracy. Even so, I don't find GS1000 lacking in resolution.

I listen to ambient music a lot, and GS1000 is a terrific headphone to enjoy spectacular sounscapes. I rarely listen to orchestral based music, but of the headphones I have at hand GS1000 is the one I would choose.

To summarise, I think you would enjoy GS1000 a lot. If the PF-1 is, as you say, somewhere between RS-1 and PS-1, I think GS1000 is different enough to warrant owning both - at least it would probably be different enough for me. The price tag might be too hefty for you, though - it is all about personal taste and how we value things.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jonsku

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #32 of 49
Ohh, soundscapes. Yeah. I've really enjoyed stuff I wouldn't have before as much on the GS1000. On Kid A there's this track called "Treefingers" and man, I never really "got it" on other headphones. Now, it's this funky spiritual place around your head. I've found myself listening to just IT, without hearing my two favorite songs on the album that buffer it.

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
Songs I've heard a lot before on the RS-1 noticeably sound different in their staging with GS1000. Everything is very seperated but still musical and doesn't fall apart.

I'm still trying to find the right setup with them. I started with the RA-1 and thought they had a very sweet enjoyable sound but felt they could use a little more power. Then I got the GS-1 and it improved everything technically but after spending more time, I think I might have prefered how they sounded with the RA-1. Now I'm waiting for a HR-2 to see if I can get that sweet sound plus the power. If it doesn't work, I'm probably going to go back an RA-1.

two points I'll make: 1) iamdone - try a HA-1 MkII (the DIY one - I know an excellent guy who will make them for a very good price and the sound is spot on! PM me if you want): as much synergy as the SR-71 with the Shure E4 (the most magical combo I heard up until this match). Perfectly balanced tonality, beautiful blackness great resolution and soundstage. The HA-1/GS1000 is the first time I've been able to differentiate b/w lossless audio and Lame MP3 (even @ 320).

2) akithrean: GS1000's - think about a K701 that's fun to listen to; almost identical staging (relative to the source instruments) and layout, equally strong detailing but much more musical, infinitely better imaging and very clean and clear sounding. I've never had too much time with either the RS-1 or the PS-1's, but I've loved the HP-2's, am endlessly modding my 125's to increase their potential, and I've had experience with both the the k701's and 650's. If you don't care about price tags, I think you'll find a new favourite in your headphone lineup (or you'll return them in the 30 day period offered by the retailer) - I've definitely found that GS1000's are a love 'em or leave 'em can.

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #34 of 49
I agree with iamdone about the RA-1. I also feel the K701 has an unmusical quality. So, I guess we have a little in common. The GS-1000 is a good complimentary headphone to the RS-1, but I have heard the PS-1 sounds similar? can't say myself though.

The Headamps synergize well with the GS-1000.

Should you get it? Na, invest your money and give this crazy habit up and be reasonable. I mean $1K on a headphone? cumon.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I didn't want to recommend them because I'll get the anti-GS1000 crowd all over me if I say they sound good. God forbid.

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I didn't want to recomment them because I'll get the anti-GS1000 crowd all over me if I say they sound good. God forbid.

It's a real shame that they do sound good.

Like any high end headphone though, they can be picky about what you plug them into. I haven't really heard a high end headphone that works so well with low end gear though.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #36 of 49
stop coating your cd's with the green marker you girl who can't possibly know John Grado personally!

(lol, sorry I know that this is OT, but I just had to say that...I found that interesting thread somehow
tongue.gif
)

But back on topic: I think the gs-1000's are definitely worth their price, i absolutely positively adore them, whether its a compliment, replacement, or just for fun, these have something really special to offer.

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
stop coating your cd's with the green marker you girl who can't possibly know John Grado personally!

(lol, sorry I know that this is OT, but I just had to say that...I found that interesting thread somehow
tongue.gif
)

But back on topic: I think the gs-1000's are definitely worth their price, i absolutely positively adore them, whether its a compliment, replacement, or just for fun, these have something really special to offer.

Hahah. That thread was rediculous. All I did was tell the dude that I had talked to John Grado at one point about him (John) being more interested in having a fun headphone than a flat one... and the guy lost it. He refused to believe that the SR80 didn't have flat response. He made an ass out of himself SO fast he got the thread locked.

Oh iLounge.

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #38 of 49
This one? Hehehe... it definitely is.

Jul 14, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #39 of 49
I MUST interupt this thread. I have seen people tossing around the words ambient and soundscapes, while I enjoy radiohead, they do not fall into the classification.

I highly recommend www.matthewflorianz.com a true ambient artist par excellance and my favorite musician(like the avatar? guess whoes cd case that is? :p )

For other good ambient see the greatest internet radio station www.sleepbot.com and www.somafm.com / Drone Zone.

These guys make only what radiohead only lightly touches on.

/thread back on track.

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #41 of 49
Thanks for the comments guys, especially Jonsku's which was very encouraging.
Like I said the money isnt really a problem, I already have the money in the hifi budget its just a question of what I want to use it for.

Quote:

akithrean

lol thanks for the description omendelovitz, but you butchered the screename pretty bad hehe. In case you guys were wondering, Akathriel translates roughly to, "the throne of god" from the Arameic. It is a made up word invented by the prophet Isaiah.

Again I appreciate the help guys (and any more remotely relelevant comments are welcome
rolleyes.gif
) it looks like I'm soon to be a lot poorer...

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahvetti
Nobody said that Radiohead was ambient.

Eh, I kinda did for that one song, Treefingers.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I'm still trying to find the right setup with them. I started with the RA-1 and thought they had a very sweet enjoyable sound but felt they could use a little more power. Then I got the GS-1 and it improved everything technically but after spending more time, I think I might have prefered how they sounded with the RA-1. Now I'm waiting for a HR-2 to see if I can get that sweet sound plus the power. If it doesn't work, I'm probably going to go back an RA-1.

I was reading in the amp forum that there is going to be an upgrade module for the GS-1 that may solve your problem, so you may want to hold onto the GS-1.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188953

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doogie
I was reading in the amp forum that there is going to be an upgrade module for the GS-1 that may solve your problem, so you may want to hold onto the GS-1.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188953

Yeah, I just saw that. It's a little too late. I already sold it and the HR-2 should be here today.

The new module does sound like what I'm looking for. It sound like the difference opamps make in non-discrete amps. I found the ad8610 to be the fastest, most dynamic but lacked body and was less musical. The opa627 was a little slower but gave weight to the music and was the most enjoyable. I haven't heard the ad797 that comes stock with the HR-2 yet. Hopefully it will work out great or I'll try the opa627 again.

I just want to get back to listening to music again. I was set with the RS-1/RA-1 but don't regret getting rid off it. I think the GS1000 will work out better in the end. I really enjoy the soundstage, comfort, and bass more and I'm sure I'll find the right setup to get the sweet sound I'm looking for. As I said, the RA-1 already provided that.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
Thanks for the comments guys, especially Jonsku's which was very encouraging.
Like I said the money isnt really a problem, I already have the money in the hifi budget its just a question of what I want to use it for.

lol thanks for the description omendelovitz, but you butchered the screename pretty bad hehe. In case you guys were wondering, Akathriel translates roughly to, "the throne of god" from the Arameic. It is a made up word invented by the prophet Isaiah.

Again I appreciate the help guys (and any more remotely relelevant comments are welcome
rolleyes.gif
) it looks like I'm soon to be a lot poorer...

Sorry Akithreal, I typed without checking back and took a chance... my name is Oriel (biblical hebrew for "G-d is my light") so I should know better...
plainface.gif
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back