Should I get GS1000s?
Jul 11, 2006 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Akathriel

500+ Head-Fier
Hmm, I am very happy with current cans, a set of Headphile woody PS-1s and have long been searching for something complementary to play to their weaknesses. I LOOOOVE my PS-1s so I'll give a brief description of what they sound like and you tell me whether you think that GS1000s are different enough to warrant owning both.

If PS-1s fall somewhere between RS-1s and HP-1000s then these fall somewhere between RS-1s and PS-1s. They have the nuetralishality of PS-1s but are even closer to nuetral than the metal monsters because the bass is somewhat tamed. Extension and impact are very similar but there is less bass quantity, which I feel is not as bloated as stock but still very good and far greater than RS-1s. The highs are not as shrill and sibilant as stock and may be a tad bit rolled off but in conjunction with PS-1s midrange, this contributes to the overall VERY smooth sound signature compared to stock PS-1s. They have the the classic wood tonality and decay. Overall I am very happy with them I feel they are much smoother than stock and a little less bassy, maybe a bit rolled off in the highs (not definate though; all of these are a matter of preference) but in clear improvements in every other area I can think of.

I am a big K1000 fan, but dont want to invest the time and money to find a good power amp since I don't own a speaker rig. I have been looking for something to play to my PF-1s weaknesses namely in soundstage instead of PS-1 headstage, for the portion of my collection that isn't prog or post rock, and is either ambient or orchestral based. I have gotten mixed signal on the GS1000s and even if they are as good as some claim, perhaps they are too similar to the woodies to justify the price tag?

Oh yeah, FWIW I wanted to listen to Hirsch's pair of GS1k's but he returned them before I got a chance (not a good sign) and I am not a HD650 fan so dont suggest it instead.

Jul 11, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 49
Why don't you try an electrostatic rig? You can get a lambda pro system for under $450 these days on ebay, and that includes the energizer. It will give you the 180 flip from your awesome dynamic rig, and will keep things fresh forever going back and forth. Hey, it works for me!

Jul 11, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 49
Electrostatic is the same problem as K1000, it requires a seperate amp which is costly to do right. I have a balanced tube amp on the horizon though I have considered that electrostats would be a nice complement. Ive never heard any Stax but was not taken with He90s (other than their speed.)

Though I will consider it if you think I can do it right in the same price range.

Jul 11, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 49
Why not add an AKG to your collection? They're closer to the "anti-Grado" of anything I've listened to. As good as the K-1000 is, you can also get a lot of pleasure out of the 501/601/701 line. Take a look.

Jul 11, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
Hmm, I am very happy with current cans, a set of Headphile woody PS-1s ...

What is replaced with wood?
blink.gif

edit: Checked his profile. Got it now. IMHO they are not PS-1:s.

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 49
No.

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 49
Thanks for the idea Uncle Erik. I have to say though that I have listened to K701s on numerous occasions, and I just can't get into them. I guess I'm just a Grado guy through and through, the lushness makes everything else sound thin and boring in comparison. The other two posts were not at all useful to me...any GS1K owners care to comment?

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahvetti
Well, I'm quite sure that those PF-1:s sound quite different to actual PS-1:s, so that makes it difficult to give any advice in this matter. However the GS1000 is different to any previous Grado, so I would suggest you try to take a hearing on them before buying.

Hehe, I know, I know If I could find away to listen them I wouldn't ask the community for help;all the same, I'm still working on it.

Jahvetti, owning all 3 John Grado's, you're in aperfect position to comment and I feel that my description is pretty accurate, if you have heard PS-1s as a reference. Why so reserved? Enlighten me, keeper of the Grados
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
Thanks for the idea Uncle Erik. I have to say though that I have listened to K701s on numerous occasions, and I just can't get into them. I guess I'm just a Grado guy through and through, the lushness makes everything else sound thin and boring in comparison. The other two posts were not at all useful to me...any GS1K owners care to comment?

BDGS1's.
Buy now, thank me later
wink.gif

Little secret not many know of right now; they destroy,demolish, and cause serious audio damage...
and they are the king
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
Since you are a "Grado guy", why not seek out a Joe Grado HP-2. It seem like that would be the next logical step for a Grado fan who has some money to spend.

- augustwest

Not necessarily. I personally like the RS1 a good deal more than the HP2. The HP2 still sounds like a Grado, but it's a whole other flavor. As well, buying any HP2 these days carries a risk... they're starting to get pretty old. I know one of Jahn's drivers had pretty much deteriorated and had to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back