Should I Get Grado SR-1's ???
Oct 23, 2006 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

xcodeguy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm seriously thinking about the Grado RS-1 headphones. I recently purchased the SR60's.

I just want to say this real quick...

One thing I defintely noticed about the SR60's was the really poor quality plastic molding around everything from the cord to the actual driver housing. I hope mine don't break. Platics wise - the SR60's look pretty bad. But for $60... I won't complain because...

I really like the sound of the SR60's. They put me in mind of the Koss PortaPro signature, only bigger. They sound pretty good. Nothing like my Super.fi 5 pro's or soon Triple.fi though - but apple oranges right.

I think the SR60's are very comfortable. They fit great and I can wear them all day and not think twice about having anything on my head. Did I mention I like the sound? I use the Grado's with an iPod 5G, MicroAmp and cryo dock - nothing under 192 and up to aac 320.

So I'm thinking - would I enjoy Grado 'phones even more with the RS-1? The SR60's while good seem under-able-to-deal-with my Rig. Granted I should mention that I like bass and I like clean, clear High volume music.

I have tried the Senn HD555 and 595 phones only to sell them shortly after because they were waayy tooo mellow for me. And - if I snag the Grado RS-1's I would request that the box contents and phones be inspected for any blemishes, etc - would that be unreasonable to ask?

This would be my very first high-end can. Thanks for any suggestions.

Oct 23, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 19
O.k. I would say get RS2, but...
You must know that RS series are the best with Tube amp. However my SR225 and Firestone Cute Encore amp combo was very, very good. A bit dry, but enough detailed and supper with rock. RS2 is brighter and have superior instrument separation and very tight, deep bass. They are simple much better for my taste. And the tubes making them much warmer sounding. So if you choose RS2 tubes are must IMO, otherwise SR225 will be the best buy for the buck
eggosmile.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 19
I have listened to RS1 at the meeting short time ago, but not with the tubes. So to make any judgments I have to try them once more. But what I can tell is that in the BASS area RS2 has more presentations than RS1. To tell you the true I have bought the RS2 completely blind, never heard them before, but have heard RS1 before do so. And now I know that I made a good choice with them. I know it is not easy to choose, but in my opinion you will be very safe with RS2. Don't forget, you will never have any problems to sell you Grado, if you don't like them. So, maybe to try SR225 first will be a good choice as well. You can buy them up here a bit used for like USD 150-170 and resell them if you don’t like it. RS2 is a bit more like USD 360-375 used, but sales very good as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcodeguy
That's interesting - you didn't mention the RS-1's at all. So do you think I would be 'pleasantly surprised' with the RS-2's ? I mean - a $200 is a big difference for me in this area. I don't have a shop to goto so I can't give anything a test drive.

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 19
IMHO the RS1 can be a little shouty and edgy sounding with the wrong solid state amp and source. IMHO the amp should be on the warm/open/smooth side and the source should be balanced, fairly detailed, and spatious sounding. Any amp/source harshness will come across in spades through the RS1.

Given your source and amplification the SR225 or RS2 would be a safer bet.

Oct 23, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 19
RS-2 is an amazing headphone, no question about it, but I found them just a little bright compared to the RS-1...

...and for that, sadly, I need to keep rolling my pennies. $200 is a lot to pay for a very small difference, but this one is worth it to me. Probably not worth it to most other people.

Oct 23, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 19
If you're in the states, buy from one of hte sponsors who provides a 30 day guarantee. You'll probably love the RS2s, but if not, no harm, no foul.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have listened to RS1 at the meeting short time ago, but not with the tubes. So to make any judgments I have to try them once more. But what I can tell is that in the BASS area RS2 has more presentations than RS1. To tell you the true I have bought the RS2 completely blind, never heard them before, but have heard RS1 before do so. And now I know that I made a good choice with them. I know it is not easy to choose, but in my opinion you will be very safe with RS2. Don't forget, you will never have any problems to sell you Grado, if you don't like them. So, maybe to try SR225 first will be a good choice as well. You can buy them up here a bit used for like USD 150-170 and resell them if you don’t like it. RS2 is a bit more like USD 360-375 used, but sales very good as well.

i own both, or rather i now have the rs1i in house, i sold the rs2, they were much more bass shy than the rs1. everything about the rs1 is bigger and sharper in the rs1, that is why the 2 is called the little brother.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 19
Wait around until someone puts up their HF-2's - would resolve all your concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back