should I get esw9?
Oct 13, 2009 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

zentenk

Head-Fier
I'm considering getting the esw9 as almost all reviews were positive, but I want to know how does it compare with the ATH-AD900? Would it be an upgrade? I do like the AD900 a lot, the soundstage and all, except for the complete lack of bass.

I'm also using the um3x which is great, how would the esw9 stack up against it?

I listen to pop, rock, and some classical from time to time

Thanks!!

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 15
being the editor of fakeheadphones.com my first comment would be; watch out for the many fakes floating around the place.

fakeheadphones.com » Audio Technica ATH-ESW-9

I have considered buying these myself, but the reviews are somewhat mixed. some say they're worth it, some say not, so for now i'm holding onto my cash.

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 15
The ESW9 (as well as the 10) has a smallish soundstage, definitely not in the same league as the AD700/900.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 15
if you getting the ESW9, i would recommend getting the ESW 10 instead.
it's a great improvement from the 9 and the soundstage is bigger then the 9. Tighter on the vocal as well.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 15
Or u can get the esw9 and do the germania esw10 mod if on a budget

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 15
I also recommend the ESW10JPN for a number of reasons - one being the fact that it is not generally known to be counterfeited. At our last Head-Fi meet the ESW9 was A-Bed with the ESW10 and clearly came out way ahead of the ESW9 in terms of soundstage, sound spectrum and overall clarity and depth.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 15
I own one. If you are looking for a fun, cross genres music listening, portable closed headphone, this is the best as it could gets for the money you spend. True, soundstage is somewhat smallish but I'm not too crazy about soundstage either. Based from what I read, the difference between the 9 and 10jpn does not justify the almost double of the price. But if you're looking for analytical, critical listening, this is not your cup of cake as the sound tend to colored but in a nice way

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 15
I'd recommend if your going for portable, get a pair of iem's, I enjoyed the 9's but they never left the house because I was worried about dinging the wood cups. I ended up selling them because I was using my Grados more for home use and found the 9's being neglected. Overall they are a great headphone but you need to be careful with your purchase with all the fakes flooding the marketplace.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 15
thanks for the input!

I still cant justify the more than double in price... going for $600 USD compared to $250 over here.

one more thing tho, hows the leakage? I plan to use them a lot in libraries, is it a problem?

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 15
thanks for the input!

found a place where I can try them out, gonna see if i can get a good seal so sound doesnt leak, I got big ears
frown.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 15
No comparison here but I'll just throw in that I really enjoy my ESW9's. Pay attention to what people are saying regarding the soundstage but if that's not that important to you I don't think you'd regret getting them. I traded my 325is for mine and haven't regreted it for a second.

Though if you can try to get an extended session with them and I mean a few hours. People have claimed that they are uncomfortable. They sit right on your ear and it does get painful for me at times as well, but I find if I just shift their position a bit I'm fine. But it would be best if you could find out if that's a problem or not before you buy.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 15
the esw10 is more detailed, and more fatiguing. If you only have 1 pair of good headphones, I'd get the ESW10s, but for portable fun toe tapping headphones, the ESW9s are awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back