Should I get C-Pads? Need an answer to an often asked question
Jun 16, 2006 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bl4cksh33p

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve wanted C-Pads for my MS-2i’s for the longest time now. The increase in comfort appeals to me, and I love their looks. Trouble is that I just can’t get myself to pull the trigger on a $160 accessory (plus, my parents would be fairly upset with me if I ended up not absolutely loving the purchase).

Actual information on C-Pads is scarce at best. I’ve searched throughout the whole site, and have really only found in-depth reviews by clatter and Mercuttio (thanks, both of you). I’ve found that most times, people asking about C-Pads are told to just “do a search.” I have, but I’d still like to know more.

My question is this:
For those of you who have used C-Pads, would you PREFER them over the stock bowls (especially with use of a MS-2i)? Why or why not?

Side Questions:
Also, I’m thinking about getting Zeta flats. I know they come with small ports regardless, but would any of you recommend paying more for the bigger ports and plugs?

What kind of sound change should be expected with Zeta flats?

Can anyone post a picture of them while wearing C-Pads?

Thanks,
Scott

EDIT: Bowls are not particularly uncomfortable for me. Likewise, C-Pads are not a NECESSITY, and I'd only like to purchase them if they add a significant improvement to my listening experience (SQ, godly comfort, etc.)

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 21
I have C-Pads with my HF-1s, and the main thing i noticed is that with the stock headband, it's almost impossible to get them to actually fit my head! The R and L blocks of plastic on the headband make contact with the pads, stopping you from making the band any smaller. It might not be an issue for you though.

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 21
Very interesting topic, I'm about to buy C-pads for my MS2 too but I have the same doubts as you.

Jun 16, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 21
Seems allot of peeps miss this page, which may answer some questions
tongue.gif
As with stock bowls, flats, comfies, etc, everyone will have their own "what's best for them". Personally, I enjoy Z-Flats. Someone else might like Z-Bowl, stock bowls or whatever. I've seen plenty of impressions over time, try searching C-Pad under "advanced search" in "entire threads" and "results by post"...

Jun 16, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 21
^^Thanks, yeah I've read that page (thought it might've been a little outdated because most of the examples are with Alpha and Beta pads). Adressing nkd's comment, does anybody else also have fitting problems? Would they fit the MS-2i better?

But, my real question remains: Does anyone PREFER C-Pads to stock bowls?

Jun 16, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 21
I just ordered Zeta Flat with the ports and frankly can't wait. It looks like the Beyer headband helps if you have problems with not being able to adjust the up (make it smaller) far enough without the L/R block interfering (on the comment page says it buys you 1cm or so of extra space).

I'll probably break down and get it anyway but want to try it without first. Finally, I'll be able to really appreciate my Grados (I hope).

Ant

Jun 16, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 21
"I have C-Pads with my HF-1s, and the main thing i noticed is that with the stock headband, it's almost impossible to get them to actually fit my head! The R and L blocks of plastic on the headband make contact with the pads, stopping you from making the band any smaller. It might not be an issue for you though."

I had this same problem when I tried them at a meet. So I figured "C" pads were just for people with big heads.

- augustwest

Jun 16, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 21
I've been using the ported Z-Bowls with my 325i's for about a month or more now. When I get a chance tonight or tomorrow I'll post with more in depth impressions, recommendations, and pictures.

For right now, though, all I have to say is that I've gotten them to sound as good as bowls (if not a bit smoother) but the comfort is leaps and bounds better. I'd recommend them not as much for SQ improvement as for comfort improvement. That said, they're worth the money if you plan on keeping your Grados around.

Also, I hope I remember to come back with impressions later. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow morning.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 21
Jun 17, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 21
I was thinking of getting a pair for my HF-1s, I'd also be interested about people's results. I've heard them on an RS-1 but I never heard the RS-1s without them so I don't know the sound with and without them compare.

Edit: Thanks Ericzen for the link.

Jun 18, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #12 of 21
I have a colossal head and they don't fit
biggrin.gif

If you get these, you really need a new headband I think. They do change the sound a lot, but i'm not enough oh an audipphile to describe the change.

Jun 18, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 21
You do need a new headband, the beyer one works well. On my MS-1's, i hated them. While they were insanely comfortable they put an intolerable "veil" over the sound. Stock comfies were better, bowls even better.
I didnt get to try them on my 325i's for very long, but stock bowls were better. If i were you i would not buy them. But I am not you. What you should do is pick up a pair of c-pads used in the FS forums, i believe there are a couple pairs up right now. That way if you do not like them, you can resell them for almost the same price, at very little to no loss (probably only a loss on shipping). Thats what i did, and im happy that i did.

Jun 18, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"I have C-Pads with my HF-1s, and the main thing i noticed is that with the stock headband, it's almost impossible to get them to actually fit my head! The R and L blocks of plastic on the headband make contact with the pads, stopping you from making the band any smaller. It might not be an issue for you though."

I had this same problem when I tried them at a meet. So I figured "C" pads were just for people with big heads.

- augustwest

That can easily be fixed. Just add some sort of padding to the headband. I used bubble wrap on mine. Ghetto style
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back