Should I Get an Amp?
May 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Michael1026

Head-Fier
I was thinking of getting an amp. I have 2 headphones, a Audio Technica ES7, and Bose IE2's. Would you guys recommend an amp for these? If so, which one? My price range would probably be between 20-60$. Thanks.

May 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 10
what is your source?

most low-impedance headphones doesn't really need an amp.. unless you want to join "i need to have an amp even i dont really need it mentality" bandwagon :)

but if you really want to have an amp for your headphone, i suggest FiiO E6 or a CMOY.

May 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
what is your source?

most low-impedance headphones doesn't really need an amp.. unless you want to join "i need to have an amp even i dont really need it mentality" bandwagon :)

but if you really want to have an amp for your headphone, i suggest FiiO E6 or a CMOY.

I use my PC, Dell tablet, Android phone, and iPod Touch.

May 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 10
You may want to think about a DAC/amp combo type deal for use with the computer setup. Unless you have a nice soundcard, most computer outputs sound, well, less than optimal to put it nicely. For portable use, I'm of the mentality that "Don't get one unless the 'phones are too quiet." But putting the DAC outside the computer can really do wonders for any headphone. Personally, I have a Headroom Total Bithead and I think it's wonderful using the USB output from my computer. The sound is a lot cleaner than it would be just coming from my computer.

May 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
You may want to think about a DAC/amp combo type deal for use with the computer setup. Unless you have a nice soundcard, most computer outputs sound, well, less than optimal to put it nicely. For portable use, I'm of the mentality that "Don't get one unless the 'phones are too quiet." But putting the DAC outside the computer can really do wonders for any headphone. Personally, I have a Headroom Total Bithead and I think it's wonderful using the USB output from my computer. The sound is a lot cleaner than it would be just coming from my computer.

The Headroom Total Bithead is out of my price range. Is there anything else cheaper that's worth getting?

May 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 10
Total BidHead is way overrated anyway, you can get cheaper amp/DAC that easily outperform it. $60 budget won't get you to a DAC, but amp wise, there are FiiO E11 and JDS Labs cmoyBB. However, I'll say you will probably be better if you save those money up for better headphone.

May 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Total BidHead is way overrated anyway, you can get cheaper amp/DAC that easily outperform it. $60 budget won't get you to a DAC, but amp wise, there are FiiO E11 and JDS Labs cmoyBB. However, I'll say you will probably be better if you save those money up for better headphone.

Wow, way to just trash me there, real classy.

While were on the subject though, what amp/DAC's would you recommend that beat it and are cheaper than it is?

May 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Wow, way to just trash me there, real classy.

While were on the subject though, what amp/DAC's would you recommend that beat it and are cheaper than it is?

Not meant to trash you in anyway. I apologize if I sounded that way. However, Total BitHead (and Total AirHead as well) has rather high output impedance that is not particularly suitable for headphone with less than 80ohm of impedance, not to mention it has fairly significant bass roll-off for low impedance headphone. This is not to say it is not ear pleasing - However, it is just technically not up to par with many amp/DAC that are cheaper for the price. For the same price or less, you can get either FiiO E17 Alpen or iBasso D-ZERO and neither of them has those issues like Total BitHead, and offer better detail and SQ that is at least a class above IMO. I understand that HeadRoom's products has kind of a prestigious status in the forum because of their history in the portable amp market and I have great respect of their founder as well. However, their two lower end portable amps are just outdated too much in comparison to what you can get in todays' market.

May 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Not meant to trash you in anyway. I apologize if I sounded that way. However, Total BitHead (and Total AirHead as well) has rather high output impedance that is not particularly suitable for headphone with less than 80ohm of impedance, not to mention it has fairly significant bass roll-off for low impedance headphone. This is not to say it is not ear pleasing - However, it is just technically not up to par with many amp/DAC that are cheaper for the price. For the same price or less, you can get either FiiO E17 Alpen or iBasso D-ZERO and neither of them has those issues like Total BitHead, and offer better detail and SQ that is at least a class above IMO. I understand that HeadRoom's products has kind of a prestigious status in the forum because of their history in the portable amp market and I have great respect of their founder as well. However, their two lower end portable amps are just outdated too much in comparison to what you can get in todays' market.

Ah, thank you for the reply! Unfortunately, I did get mine a while ago (I know, not upgrading for over a year? *gasp*! :p ) and I haven't really been keeping up with that market... Maybe I should just educate myself a little more before I post these things... haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back