Should I get a xonar? I have the following setup:
Nov 24, 2009 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sjonnie

New Head-Fier
Music: Crappy soundcard, little dot MK3 and the HD650s.
DVDmovies: crappysoundcard, z-5450 logitech.

I only listen to music on my HD650s and watch DVDs (with my 5.1 z-5450 logitech) on my PC.

Will the Xonar be a noticable improvement for my headphonesounds? And if so, in what respect? Like bigger a soundstage or something like that.
And which Xonar should I get? I heard that some Xonars support 7.1, which would be pretty ok I think for my 5.1 speakers I think.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 19
Yes, you should get a better sound card.
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't worry about the rest of your questions.

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you should get a better sound card.
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't worry about the rest of your questions.

Ok. But should I get the xonar soundcard, that is my main question.
smily_headphones1.gif

Because I read the xonar also has a built in amp, and I dunno if I am wasting my money since I alrdy got the little dot mk3.

I also watch DVDs with my 5.1 speaker set, so some kind of 5.1 support would also be nice. I heard that some xonars have 7.1 support.

But I seriously dont know which xonar to get, there are like 4-5 versions.
Help me out man.
triportsad.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Lots of cards have headphone output, pick based on your price range, input/output requirements and need for game sound processing. Again, lots of cards support 5.1 and 7.1.

So far we just have 1 requirement:
5.1 Support <--- yes just for watching DVDs, I dont game.

Budget? 200 euros
PCI vs PCI-E? what? I got a mobo that supports PCI-E if you mean that.
Gaming? Nope
Recording? Nope, I just listen to music.

So should I get a xonar at all, or will a 200 euro DAC improve my sound a lot more? And if yes, then which one?
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 19
1) What is it about the Xonar brand that you are particularly held up on?
2) Yes, I was asking what interface you wanted to use - PCI or PCI-E, do you have a free slot of each or just one? Neither is better/worse for something as simple as audio playback.

Anyway, now that you have firm requirements (and a pretty high budget on the), I'd recommend looking at cards by Xonar, Auzentech, HT Omega and picking one that fits your requirements best.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck.

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

1) What is it about the Xonar brand that you are particularly held up on? I read that nothing beats its price/quality ratio when it comes to soundcards around 200 dollars. Raving reviews everywhere.
2) Yes, I was asking what interface you wanted to use - PCI or PCI-E, do you have a free slot of each or just one? Neither is better/worse for something as simple as audio playback. Well if I remove my current soundcard I will have 3 spare PCI-Es.

Anyway, now that you have firm requirements (and a pretty high budget on the), I'd recommend looking at cards by Xonar, Auzentech, HT Omega and picking one that fits your requirements best.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck. What?? But I am alrdy looking at the Xonars, my question is, do you recommend the Xonar, and if so which one. :O

redface.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 19
I too am looking to upgrade my sound card, I was looking at perhaps the Xonar DX (because I have a PCI-E slot free) or for £30 more the Xonar D2X abit more features.

My setup would be for listening to mostly music, sometimes movies through my Audioengine A2 or AH-D2000.

I have read that the creative's are very good in terms of hardware but are let down by driver supports etc, the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 is suppose to be excellent but at around £150 it's £50 over budget.

There is another slightly less known brand Audiotrack Prodigy HD2 from Korea which again has good reviews, you can pick this up for less than $200.

My choice is between the D2X and the Prodigy HD2, however I am now thinking of perhaps a HOTAUDIO BIT-PERFECT USB DAC .

This audio stuff is a bit of a headache
confused_face(1).gif
LOL.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 19
I am thinking about getting the Xonar Essence. Seems like the best Xonar card for headphones.

But none has answered the big question yet. Question: Xonar Essence + little dot mk3 = overkill? I have read like 10 xonar essence reviews alrdy, none of them says anything about an external amp...

I think the answer is no then? Its not worth it when you alrdy have a little dot mk3.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 19
I am too looking at buying the Xonar Essence to upgrade my fatality titanium. I also want a little dot mk3 amp. I'm really thinking of selling off my x-fi.

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 19
The Essence is the best Xonar for stereo headphones. There is a line out with an amp on it, but I believe there is an alternate output. I've heard some criticism about the amp on the card being a "$2.25" IC, but I still will be investing in it to find out how it is for myself.

Since you also have a 5.1 requirement though, I can't fully recommend the STX. Recently, the Essence ST was released (supposedly), and it includes a rather customizable daughterboard called the H6, which supports 5.1 IIRC.

If you know you want a Xonar, yeah, I'd recommend the Essence ST or the HDAV1.3. Both support the H6 daughterboard and have really good SQ, so I've heard. Although there was also that Auzentech HTHD (7.1) that someone claimed was far superior to the STX. But I've got no knowledge there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..is there such thing as overkill in audio?

AFAIK, no.
dt880smile.png
But he's probably worried about too much amplification.

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..is there such thing as overkill in audio?

Yes, but only in the sense that once you go beyond a certain point the laws of diminishing returns kicks in full bore to where you are paying $1000's-$10,000's of dollars for minute differences in sound. If you have to mortgage your house your probably going too far. Most the time these minute difference are more side shifts than moving forward shifts. Of coarse there are exceptions but I think mostly rare at that level.

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 19
Hey guys,

Just wanna let you know that I bought the card. Works out of the box in linux mint 8, good first impressions so far. I can actually hear a small soundstage now, music richer too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Just got a for a few hours, will provide some more details after some more testing (just dont expect anything major, just a mini-review from an audiophile nub
wink.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back