Should I get a Pico or a 2Move?
Apr 19, 2008 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

EnderX

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering whether I should get a Headamp Pico or a Meier Audio 2Move as my main portable amp.

The amp would be used on a variety of headphones but mostly an AKG K701, K501 and Grado 225 and some Ultrasone HFI 780s.

I listen to a lot of rock but just as much more mellow music that uses a lot of string and brass instruments.

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 22
If your budget allows, the Pico. I owned the Move up until this weekend but sold it to get the Pico. Move's DAC is ok but it doesn't make you go wow and hopefully my new Pico will
smily_headphones1.gif
On the other hand, if you are not going to use a computer as your source, Move's amp section is very good...

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 22
You may also want to consider an RSA Predator. While it's dac might be slightly worse than the Pico's, its amp has been more favorably viewed, sounding more like a tube amp then the Pico. As well, if you value battery life, the Predator's 56 hours of life is pretty impressive, compared to the Pico's 20 some hours.

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may also want to consider an RSA Predator. While it's dac might be slightly worse than the Pico's, its amp has been more favorably viewed, sounding more like a tube amp then the Pico. As well, if you value battery life, the Predator's 56 hours of life is pretty impressive, compared to the Pico's 20 some hours.

Which of these have you heard, and with which headphones?

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which of these have you heard, and with which headphones?

Good question...a lot of opinions are flowing for (seemingly) not having heard all of the players.

Since the OP specified "amp" vs. amp/dac, I would have to recommend the 2Move based on it's amp sound quality. Plus, the price is right. The only issue I had with the 2Move is the weird grip of the jacks on 1/8 inch plugs, but a buyer can request that Jan Meier doublecheck his/her unit before it gets sent out.

And yes, I've heard all amps mentioned so far in this thread extensively.

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 22
I'll second (third?) the notion that the DAC is less than superb on the 2Move, but certainly not awful. Only briefly heard the Pico but it seemed pretty good in the DAC department.

Can't beat the price on the 2Move though, if the amp is the primary concern.

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for the help. Yeah, I can't really afford the DAC option on the Pico. Whichever one would function almost solely as a portable amp . So the consensus for best sound for me personally seems like the 2 Move?

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 22
There isn't a portable made that will help the 701. Just too power hungry. I'd invest in a home amp, and just deal with how your chosen portable cans sound straight from the source the rest of the time.

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 22
Well then, a good home amp selection for my K701s anyone?

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your budget allows, the Pico. I owned the Move up until this weekend but sold it to get the Pico. Move's DAC is ok but it doesn't make you go wow and hopefully my new Pico will
smily_headphones1.gif
On the other hand, if you are not going to use a computer as your source, Move's amp section is very good...

Well, but the DAC part of Move is different to 2Move.
I think Jan Meier made a wrong decision in using PCM2704 in Move. This is corrected in the 2Move model, which used PCM2702, a very decent USB DAC.

The difference could simply be seen on the two chips specification: 2702's SNR performance is 105 dB, THD is less than 0.002% and has 100 dB dynamic range.
The 2704, on the other hand:
SNR: 98dB
THD: 0.006%
Dynamic range: 98dB

There is no reason to use 2704 since Move doesn't need digital out put ability. (PCM2704 has the ability to send S/PDIF signal out, whereas the 2702 is simply an USB DAC)

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 22
Well, if you can do the math. The move was about 2
50 with DAC and it's even better than the Predator which is getting a lot of good reviews lately at bout twice the price. At $300, you only get a slightly better and and no DAC what so ever with Pico.

Be reasonable and get a 2move if you're short on cash. You won't be let down. I have my move driving both HD650 and K701. Even though I might have to see what I'm missing by using a portable amp for those headphone, I'm still more than happy with what I have.

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 22
If you read HeadphoneAddict's review on the 2Move and Predator, you'll see that the 2Move is not quite as good as the Predator. The Predator's 56 hour battery life matches my Cowon D2 almost perfectly (that and I'm big fan of Ray Samuels' sound), which is why I've chosen the Predator.

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 22
I own the original Meier Move (not the 2Move) and basically, its amplifier section is really hard to beat (super deep tight lows, clear and wide mids, flying highs) while its DAC is much much better than what you get out of your laptop/PC/mac audio output. I normally use the amp section only with either my Cowon D2 or sometimes with my Stello DP200 DAC and I could not be any happier. Add to that, the price of the 2Move and it's simply a competition obliterating incredible bargain.

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #15 of 22
Yes, ideally if you can sit on your rump and listen to a stationary headphone amp all the time for your 701, then that would be ideal, but if like me, you also need to move around and want to bring the best sound with you, a combo like the 701 and predator is great. I have that now after much testing, find this combo fantastic. I also use the TF10 with the predator and the 701 sounds much better but is not as portable. I guess it depends on how much you want to invest, where are you listening etc. The goal is to be able to enjoy your music. The 701 however won't work with real metal or loud rock music. Good Luck. Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back