Should I get a new DAP or stick with my phone?
Aug 25, 2017 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

isaaclimx

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I have a Cowon Z2 DAP which I used from 2012 to 2014.
Since then I have simply just used my phone for audio as it is just more convenient than bringing a separate player. Within this time frame I also reshelled my tf10s, and thereafter upgraded entirely to UE900s in 2015.

Fast forward to 2017, I now own a Samsung Galaxy S8, which actually pumps out pretty good tunes. I run flacs with poweramp, I love the eq/stereo settings the app provides. I have also dug out my Z2 and play around with it. Somehow the Z2 sounds muddy on my reshelled TF10s. I wasn't impressed by the sound.

What is exciting is that I have a hybrid CIEM coming in the following weeks (AAW W300), and I would just like opinions on whether I should get back into the DAP game. Decided to get back in the CIEM scene because I lost my UE900s somewhere last year. Very sad.

Here are my options :
1. Stick with the Z2 and S8 - $0
2. Get an A&K JR - $221 (64GB)
3. Get a Cowon Plenue D $199 ($32GB)
4. Get a Sony NW-A35 - ~$220 (16GB)

I am also considering the Android DAPs from Fiio, especially the X5 Gen3 since well, mentally can't afford the X7 Mk2. Cheapest X5iii used set I can find goes for $324.

*All prices are in USD

My priorities are
1. Cost - I broke my budget ceiling with the new ciems
2. Sound - I love good sound
3. UI - Android based will be good, poweramp is a great player

What I listen to : Almost everything, instrumental, pop/rock, metal, some edm

I wanna know if there's a need to go for above mentioned DAPs, or is my S8/Z2 good enough actually?
If I need an upgrade for DAP, which of the above do you guys think is better and worth it?
Or if there are other DAPs not mentioned that y'all would like to recommend, please feel free!

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 3
See if you can change to an LG V30...best of both worlds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back