Should I get a new amp?
Sep 11, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by audible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JVL,

I also have a pair of AKG K701's that I use with the Little Dot MK III (I picked it up from a fellow head-fier, but I have communicated concerns about warranty with David in the past and he is more than helpful).

I can't speak for the WA6, although I am sure there are people who have heard both (I'm not sure it is a particularly fair comparison, seeing as there is a very large price discrepancy -- for 399+shipping you can get the top Little Dot tube amp MKIVSE, compared to 585+shipping).

Either way, I am sure that a tube amp is a very good fit for the AKG K701's and you will be well served by either amps!

Audible,

Thanks for the input. Helps a lot to hear from someone with direct experience. Sounds like you are quite happy with your Little Dot. Is it not a problem to have an OTL design like the Little Dot or Woo Audio 3 combined with a low to medium impedance 'phone like the K701? I have no direct experience, just what I've read.

And I agree it is probably unfair to compare the two considering their price difference. But then maybe I just expect a lower price for anything coming out of China?

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Dread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi mate

Funnily enough I bought myself the exact same combo just a couple of weeks ago, and I must say that I agree with your description. I too have found the bass to be under emphasised, but more importantly there seems to be a hardness and harshness to the set up that actually ends up almost hurting the ear! On the one hand I want to turn the amp up a notch for more oomph. Yet on the other I want to turn it down because the harshness is too much!

I'm hoping that when I get my new PC up and running and use my EMU 1820M soundcard with decent DAC that it may improve things. At the mo I'm just using a bog standard Yamaha Hi-Fi amp.

If not, I will be in the same boat as you. I have pre-empted this and had a casual look around on this forum and there is tonnes of recommendations. Search is your friend! Have a search for "Creek", then one for "K701" - get sifting and you will find loads of advice. Off the top of my head, the Heed CanAmp gets a few mentions as a good partner. My local store has a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 which I might try; if it is any time soon I will let you know how I get on. A few people have said it pairs well with the K701.

Good luck....sorry I couldnt be of more help, but I'm kind of in the same boat!

Max.

Dread,

Good luck, definitely let me know whatever you do and how it turns out. I did some searches and think I recall a few of your posts! Check out the for sale forum, I think I saw a used X-can V3. Sam Tellig recommended that exact combination in last month's Stereophile. I know some folks aren't Stereophile lovers here, but I've always found Sam's recommendations very useful and accurate. Problem for me is that Stereophile doesn't review anything from small companies, and it seems a lot of these headphone companies like Woo, Little Dot, etc ... will never be reviewed there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back