Should I get a FiiO E12 to drive sub200$ headphones?
May 20, 2014 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

antonm07

New Head-Fier
Hi. Was just wondering if it would be worth it to drive my headphones

I have a Superlux 668B and recently I've acquired a Sennheiser 518. When I got the 518's I wasn't blown away with the sound
I was a tad disappointed in fact. I think it's probably because I got used to the coloration of the 668Bs (not sure). I know that
the 518s probably sound more accurate than the 668Bs but I'm not really an audiophile I guess, just trying to enjoy my music.

After a while I felt like the 518s do sound quite better in a lot of aspects than the 668Bs  and do in fact sound better
than the 668Bs in some of the songs with really high highs (just my observation) but I'm still looking for that coloration so I'm
planning on getting the Grado SR125i's.

My question is will it be worth it to buy the FiiO E12 along with the SR125i's or am I just wasting money. Especially if I play music
on youtube, 8tracks or spotify (although I do have some FLAC files I don't have the time and resources to be constantly looking
for music in this format, I listen to a lot of remixes and I don't think they just make them in FLAC or you'll find them that way. I have mp3 files but I try to look for the highest bit rates possible, 320 if I remember) Also would it be worth it to get a DAC (ODAC?) in the near future or is that overkill already? I know the E17's have built in DAC's though.

Lastly, in your opinion how much would you spend on headphones if you don't really listen to FLAC all the time, just MP3s.

Thanks Head Fi !

Update: So yeah I use a macbook pro. Just found out that the 3.5mm jack's impedance is around 24 ohms (Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm still new to all of this. The output impedance should be higher than or at least equal to the headphone's impedance right?)

I remember when I bought my 518's. The sales guy saw that I was testing it out on my iPad (you can test EVERY unit they have in store, and they have a lot). He offered that I try them out on his ipod touch. They were connected to an E11 amp. They sounded amazing (might have been placebo but could have sworn they sounded heavenly) although he did say that he was playing FLAC files.

Quick side question. Would there be a difference in sound if you played FLAC without a dedicated DAC?

May 21, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 6
FiiO E12 does a great job at driving my 300Ohm HD600s. There is a noticeable improvement in presence and sound quality. Your 50Ohm HD512s are not quite as power hungry, but my guess is that you would notice a difference.

Cheers... Brian

May 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 6
  FiiO E12 does a great job at driving my 300Ohm HD600s. There is a noticeable improvement in presence and sound quality. Your 50Ohm HD512s are not quite as power hungry, but my guess is that you would notice a difference.

Cheers... Brian

Ok will probably skip them for now. Maybe once I get something over 100 ohms? Thanks man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back