Should I get a d-25s?
Aug 15, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw

You know, I REALLY hate you.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll be ordering the cardas from headroom. . . now, there's no reason NOT to get the grado adapter while I'm at it, right?

Your welcome.
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #17 of 36
go for it....

It takes away the need for a portable headphone amp. I like it, because I can put cd's in my portable bag instead of an amp.

I ordered 2 rechargable batteries for it...I switch them when I get home.

Aug 15, 2002 at 10:55 AM Post #18 of 36
I myself am still semi-interested in the D25S

I am quite desperate to see a D25S vs D777 review, so I know where I stand... but, it has to be said... even the D777 & E905 sound ultimately thin, and generally mid-fi [read as muddy] compared to my main setup (using ETYs on both)... so, would it be really worth it for me??

Aug 15, 2002 at 12:01 PM Post #19 of 36
Aug 16, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #20 of 36
i'd say get a newer sony pcdp. you'll get literally 20x the battery life and better looks (in my opinion my 955 is much neater).

with all of the other options out there (mp3 players, mp3-cd players, newer lighter pcdps, dataplay coming out soon), i don't see why anybody would buy a pcdp model that's over ten years old.

sure the headphone out will suck, but who uses that anyway? does my pcdp even have a headphone out?
wink.gif
you already have a cmoy.. just go for a nice new one in a pretty color.

look you can even get one like this and keep a picture of your girlfriend in it!

Aug 17, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

look you can even get one like this and keep a picture of your girlfriend in it!

One of the many benefits of an older pcdp, it doesn't look like it's the property of a nine year old girl...
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
The D-25S is undeniably a beautiful piece of machinery, whose classic good looks make it appear modern yet retro at the same time. If that is what you want, then go for it.

But it seems that it falls somewhere in between your "Main Rig" and your "Portable Rig". The Sony is not useful for active portable use on the go, and it is not as good a home transport or amp as your Denon + META combo. Again, if you plan to make a third system for another room at home, perhaps it is worth your while and $$.

I'll second this one.

I use mine at work, and it kicks the living crap out of my out jack on my work computer. In combination with my TA, I am able to drive my old reliable AKG 240's quite nicely. It gives me sound that at least resembles that of my home system.

However, it's NOT a PORTABLE...it has no anti-skip function, and weighs a ton with the battery installed. It's more of a lugable than a portable. If I were going to visit my in-laws, I'd bring it with me. If I were going out jogging, not a chance.

Overall, I say buy one.

Aug 20, 2002 at 7:01 AM Post #24 of 36
Goober,

The issue with car use is: how are you going to power it. If you shell out $30 to 35 bucks for the battery from Sony, then you are set. If not, then you'll need to figure out a way to power it from the car lighter. And with no 'anti-skip', pray for smooth roads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #25 of 36
Perhaps we can have a more constructive conversation if we more clearly define what we mean by 'portable'.

If by portable you mean you can use the CD player while physically moving with it, then the D-25s is not the player you want. As stated, it has no-anti skip protection and would have a hard time playing continuously on the go while in your hand while walking or jogging or in a car.

If by portable you mean small enough to fit into a bag and use in a battery powered situation, like on an airplane, at your desk at work or while studying at the library, the D-25s is portable, since it is small and light enough to easily carry. It has also been stated that the proprietary battery leaves much to be desired, so for this definition of portable, the D-25s can be said not to be an ideal choice.

If by portable you mean small enough to fit into a bag or in your hand, taking up little counter space and use in an environment where you have access to an AC outlet, the D-25s is quite portable, and can be used as a small bedroom source, to take outside on the patio, use at your desk at work, or take to the library etc.

IMO, since these are NOS players, and are known to be a bit twitchy and fragile, I would not use them as source that I moved around frequently. I would leave it in my house to use in those areas where I don't have access to my main rig, or use it at work where it can stay in a desk drawer.

P.S. I owned the D-25s, and I thought is was a good player, but a bit too warm for my taste.

Aug 20, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
I owned the D-25s, and I thought is was a good player, but a bit too warm for my taste.

That is the one trait I would not assign to the d25s. I read that elsewhere. too. I found the d25s more on the analytical side. Hmmmm...is it just me me?
confused.gif

Aug 20, 2002 at 12:30 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg

That is the one trait I would not assign to the d25s. I read that elsewhere. too. I found the d25s more on the analytical side. Hmmmm...is it just me me?
confused.gif

I found the D-25s to have a bright and "metallic" sound - not at all "warm" sounding to my ears.

Aug 20, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #28 of 36
Each set of ears will provide different sets of opinions. System matching plays a significant role too. I believe what you both say about the d-25s, and I believe what I say too.

Aug 20, 2002 at 1:31 PM Post #29 of 36
Jeff - you are right of course.

FWIW I have compared the D-25s with the Panasonic SL-CT570, the Radio Shack 3904, and a newer Sony DEJ-616CK PCDPs.

Amongst those players the SL-CT570 was "warm" sounding to me. The D-25S and the RS3904 were definitely not warm sounding to my ears.

I should also clarify that I did this comparison based on the sound of the line-outs on the units using a CHA47 amp and Grado SR-80 headphones. I have not compared the headphone outs of these units sufficiently to form an educated opinion.

Aug 20, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Goober
Is it portable enough to be used while riding in a car?

Nope...not a chance....
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back