Should I get a d-25s?
Aug 11, 2002 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Should I buy the sony d-25s? I mean, it would be nice to have a "legendary" cdp. I wouldn't really use it portably. But ever since I've seen RMSZero's at the Pittsburgh WOH tour, I've liked it. So, should I? Not sure I'd use it much with my HD580s, since I'll probably be getting a cord upgrade. . .

What about ksc-35s?

Aug 11, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 36
I'd say if you have the $60 sitting around the D-25S is a great PCDP if you ever think you'll use it. It was never really meant to be used as a portable, for stationary use in small places, it is great.

Not sure what you are asking about the Koss KSC-35's? Whether to buy another pair (you have them listed in your can inventory in your profile)? For $25, I'd say yeah, keep them stored away for future use. If you are asking if the 35's will sound good with the D-25S, I'd say yeah there too.

-Keith

Aug 11, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 36
No, I have ksc-35s. 2 pairs, in fact.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was wondering how they'd sound with the d-25s.

I'd use it as a mobile setup. Basically, lugging it to my computer, etc.

Aug 11, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by meithkiller

I'd say if you have the $60 sitting around the D-25S is a great PCDP if you ever think you'll use it.

I agree. It is a good solid transportable CDP, but not portable. Even if you get the proprietary battery for it, battery life is not good. It's heavy and just a tad bulky. I rarely used it, so RMSzero ended up with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

That said, it is definitely a cool looking player and it sounds pretty damn good through the line out.

Aug 14, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 36
Andrzej,
Just so happens I have all on hand at once:
Ksc35, D25s and power supply. The D25s usually sits on a shelf in it's box, my 35s are usually with my slimx and the power supply is used for my CHA47.
The 35s sound like, well 35s.
The question is: Do you really want to step into the world of "legendary" pcdps?
They don't have any battery life to speak of, they are not portable, they weigh a ton. They do sound great though.
The thing about the D25s is that it's NOS. It's not used like some of the other "vintage" players on ebay. I've used mine like five times including tonight. There are other "legendary" pcdps available for less bucks. I got my D303 for $52.00.
Luck on your quest!
md

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 36
well, although I don't want to admit it, a reason I want the d-25s is that it's just so damn cool! I mean, I'd like to get into "legendary" equipment. I missed it the first time around! Heck, I was what, 6 or 7 when it came out? :)

Aug 14, 2002 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 36
If you're going to use it like a deck (AC powered) I'd go for it (Well actually I did, one of the Silicone Salvage units off eBay for $45). With a ratshack AC adapter it supposedly can drive a wide array of cans and has a great line out for an amp. If you're considering it for portable use I'd skip it, expensive battery w/short life. Great pics and review by Russ Arcuri here -->

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=4784

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 36
Well, I want it for two reasons.

1) I would want it for a transportable way to listen to music around the house, not just limiting myself to one place.

2) It just looks so damn cool!

rolleyes.gif

The one problem? I'm thinking of upgrading to cardas cables, and well, I'm not sure I'd be using my hd580s much with the d25s in that case.

Aug 14, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw

The one problem? I'm thinking of upgrading to cardas cables, and well, I'm not sure I'd be using my hd580s much with the d25s in that case.

confused.gif
I don't know from cardas cables (don't own no high-end Senns) but could you explain that ? (Do they require an amp ? connector issue ?) Inquiring minds want to know ! (translation: I'm dumb yet curious
tongue.gif
)

Aug 15, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 36
andrzejpw -

The D-25S is undeniably a beautiful piece of machinery, whose classic good looks make it appear modern yet retro at the same time. If that is what you want, then go for it.

But it seems that it falls somewhere in between your "Main Rig" and your "Portable Rig". The Sony is not useful for active portable use on the go, and it is not as good a home transport or amp as your Denon + META combo. Again, if you plan to make a third system for another room at home, perhaps it is worth your while and $$.

You mention that you are planning on getting an upgrade cable for the Senn's, and I must encourage you to do so. Personally, unless you need another system for the bedroom or for work, put your money into the Cardas (or any of the upgrade cables). It is the last step in upgrading your "Main" system and will really bring out the best from the level of components you already have (well maybe next-to-last, since you may want to try and ART DI/O dac + coax cable or something). The cables are totally worth it. Just do it!

very_evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 36
HighwayStar: The Cardas cables for the HD580/600s are replacement headphone cables. Instead of the cheapo cable that sennheiser uses(the cable that goes from your amp to the headphone), the cardas is a high quality one. The problem is, that it's terminated with a 1/4 inch jack. The output on the d25s is 1/8. I don't want to constantly swap cables, and I won't, since I'm afraid of degrading my jack on the hd580s.

jpelg: you bring up some very good points. The problem I have with buying the d25s is that it falls between my 2 rigs. I mean, I wouldn't be using my hd580s with it if I got the cardas. If I didn't get cardas, I would probably get the d25s, if only as a cdp to take around the house, deck, etc. So, I'd be basically buying it to use with ksc-35s. Which, personally, I don't think is worth it. The one thing holding me back? I've just fallen in love with the player's looks.
rolleyes.gif
Please, someone, convince me that I DON'T need the d25s. PLEASE!

Once I'd get the cardas, my rig would pretty much be done. I mean, one day, in the future (read: college, after high school), I might consider a dac or source upgrade. But not now.

Aug 15, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
The problem is, that (Cardas) it's terminated with a 1/4 inch jack (plug?). The output on the d25s is 1/8. I don't want to constantly swap cables, and I won't, since I'm afraid of degrading my jack on the hd580

Couldn't you just use an 1/4"-1/8" adaptor? If so, there would be no reason not to get a d25s, is there?
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 36
andrzejpw,

Thanks, yeah, I see your point. IMO when you're done tweaking the META the cardas might be a really nice "icing on the cake".

And when I receive my D-25S, I'll sincerely do my best to discourage you from buying one... of those little gems
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg

Couldn't you just use an 1/4"-1/8" adaptor? If so, there would be no reason not to get a d25s, is there?
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

You know, I REALLY hate you.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll be ordering the cardas from headroom. . . now, there's no reason NOT to get the grado adapter while I'm at it, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back