Should I get a AMP/DAC combo (Magi/Modi or O2/Odac) or a single better amp (Asgard 2) for the Sennheiser HD 600?
Jun 17, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #16 of 38

Little Dot mk3 amp section does not "blow away" NFB and T1 mk2. 

The Little Dot is also not only more expensive, but if tube rolling you have 4 tubes to deal with, while you have only one with the T1.

Does 'tube rolling' mean tube replacements right?
I'm going to have to replace those tubes down the line?
Extra $40-$90 per tube?

Tube rolling is the process of trying different tubes of the same type or equivalent in order to get improved sound.  Opamps work the same way.  Many different opamps can be swapped out in a totally solid-state amplifier circuit for different responses, depending on the headphone and the amplifier topology.  That's not to say that frequency response is not flat - it is.  Some people call it "coloration," but that's only a meager expression for the fact that frequency response measurements are like a lot of other measurements - they're only an approximation of a specified assumption.  You can have identically flat frequency responses from one amp to another, yet your ear can easily detect subtle differences in improving or worsening sound quality, depending on what you "roll" in the amp.

Many tube-based headphone amplifiers use the 12AU7 as the basis for the signal stage in the circuit.  That particular tube has dozens and dozens of slightly different tube types that will also work and there are many brands that are all different when it comes to sound quality.  The 12AU7 is also currently manufactured by several manufacturers that still manufacture vacuum tubes (New Sensor, JJ Electronics).  So, when someone is saying the Little Dot only allows 4 tube types, that's pretty limited in the world of tube amps.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #17 of 38
    So, when someone is saying the Little Dot only allows 4 tube types, that's pretty limited in the world of tube amps.

Wasn't saying Little Dot only allows 4 tube types, I was saying the Little Dot uses 4 tubes: 

As opposed to the Aune T1 mk2, which uses only one tube:

Of course there are thousands of tube choices for both amps, but when you tube roll, it could be 4 times more expensive with the Little Dot.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #19 of 38
HD600 has high impedance ; 300 ohm, I prefer to use Asgard2, this amp has bigger output power than Magi or 02.
Later you can add DAC....

Find other brands as well, lot of HD600 user happy (budget <$500) with Bottlehead Crack (tube), Little Dot (tube),Gustard H10 (solidstate), AudioGD (NFB series) etc

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #20 of 38

Look up reviews on the Aune T1 mk2. The amp section has been upgraded from the original and is now quite good. To me, the mk2 amp section sounds cleaner than the Asgard 2. The bass is also tighter with a bit more weight than the Asgard, also it seems to fill in a slight gap in the higher mids that I feel the Asgard 2 is missing for an overall more full sound.

Little dot mkiii is an amp only, nfb and aune are combo doggies. Mkiii amp section will blow away the other two

GAH

I was finally set on either getting the Aune T1 Mk2 or the Little Dot Mk3, but searching through other comparison & question threads, I came upon this post
http://www.head-fi.org/t/745637/schiit-valhalla-vs-little-dot-mkiii-for-sennheiser-hd-598-700/15#post_11246528
Quote:
 All I can say is going from the Little Dot MKIII to my Asgard 2 is night and day difference. I mean the sound stage is like..significantly better on songs

So the Little Dot Mk3 that should blow away the Aune T1 Mk2, which is a better quality amp than the Asgard 2 is actually inferior to the Asgard 2?

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #22 of 38
  HD600 has high impedance ; 300 ohm, I prefer to use Asgard2, this amp has bigger output power than Magi or 02.
Later you can add DAC....

Find other brands as well, lot of HD600 user happy (budget <$500) with Bottlehead Crack (tube), Little Dot (tube),Gustard H10 (solidstate), AudioGD (NFB series) etc

Magni 2 actually has higher power output than Asgard 2. O2 power output is about the same as Asgard 2. I have all 3 amps. 

Asgard 2 has the best soundstage out of the 3 amps. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #23 of 38

Magni 2 actually has higher power output than Asgard 2. O2 power output is about the same as Asgard 2. I have all 3 amps. 

So the Asgard 2 has a better soundstage, but not as clean, bass not as tight & lower mids than the Aune T1 Mk2?

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #24 of 38

GAH

I was finally set on either getting the Aune T1 Mk2 or the Little Dot Mk3, but searching through other comparison & question threads, I came upon this post
http://www.head-fi.org/t/745637/schiit-valhalla-vs-little-dot-mkiii-for-sennheiser-hd-598-700/15#post_11246528
Quote:
 All I can say is going from the Little Dot MKIII to my Asgard 2 is night and day difference. I mean the sound stage is like..significantly better on songs

So the Little Dot Mk3 that should blow away the Aune T1 Mk2, which is a better quality amp than the Asgard 2 is actually inferior to the Asgard 2?

These are all subjective opinions. One person can have a completely different personal preference from another.

There are also different circumstances. Someone may prefer Asgard 2 to Little Dot mk3 with stock tubes, but if you put 4 $250 Siemens tubes in the Little Dot, the Little Dot may sound better. But Little Dot is now a $1000 amp. Someone else may hate the tube sound completely.

When directly comparing with 3 other people, we all felt think the Aune T1's amp section sounded better than the Asgard 2, and it was immediately noticeable. But that was our personal preference, and *may* have been expectation bias because it wasn't a blind test. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #25 of 38

So the Asgard 2 has a better soundstage, but not as clean, bass not as tight & lower mids than the Aune T1 Mk2? 

The Aune T1 mk2 amp section has a better soundstage than the Asgard 2 to my ears. The Asgard 2 has a very good soundstage also. The T1 mk2 amp also has a bit more bass quantity and the bass also has better extension and clarity than the Asgard 2. 

Many people don't know that there was a huge amp section upgrade on the T1 mk2 and assume that it sucks because the original T1's amp section was subpar. 

*edit* The Magni 2 is more powerful than both the Asgard 2 and the T1 mk2. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #26 of 38

Copy from Schiit website:
Magni 2
http://schiit.com/products/magni-2
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 1.8W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW RMS per channel
 <------
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 130mW RMS per channel

Asgard 2
http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 380mW RMS per channel <--------
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 190mW RMS per channel

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #27 of 38

Copy from Schiit website:
Magni 2
http://schiit.com/products/magni-2
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 1.8W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW RMS per channel
 <------
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 130mW RMS per channel

Asgard 2
http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 380mW RMS per channel <--------
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 190mW RMS per channel

Yep. Certainly looks that way from the specs, but I have both amps: 

And the Magni 2 is definitely more powerful than the Asgard 2. Also from Schiit's site:

Ready For Any Headphone
Both Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber are ready for any headphone, from IEMs to hard-to-drive orthodynamics. Switchable gain provides the fine control and low noise floor you need for sensitive headphones, as well as the power you need for hard-to-drive high-impedance headphones and orthos.

It doesn't say "ready for ANY headphone" for the Asgard 2, it says ideal for *most* headphones. 

I know the specs say otherwise, and I can't explain it. But the Asgard 2 does sound better than the Magni 2. I was just surprised by the power output. 

*edit*, you are probably correct. I have the Magni 2 Uber, which is more powerful than the Magni 2. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #28 of 38
Don't forget Garage 1217 amps. I use a Project Ember MkII with my Sennheiser HD 650's to good effect. They're well priced and provide thousands of valve options. Also, because they only use one valve (like the Aune T1) rolling is more affordable. You'll still need to buy a separate DAC though.

http://www.garage1217.com/

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #29 of 38
  Don't forget Garage 1217 amps. I use a Project Ember MkII with my Sennheiser HD 650's to good effect. They're well priced and provide thousands of valve options. Also, because they only use one valve (like the Aune T1) rolling is more affordable. You'll still need to buy a separate DAC though.

http://www.garage1217.com/

Omg, you didn't get the acrylic version?? The lights and the LEDs........a friend brought one over and I remember thinking it was the most awesome sounding amp ever. I didn't get to compare it with anything but it really blew me away with the warmth and the soundstage.

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #30 of 38

Omg, you didn't get the acrylic version?? The lights and the LEDs........a friend brought one over and I remember thinking it was the most awesome sounding amp ever. I didn't get to compare it with anything but it really blew me away with the warmth and the soundstage.

I had a demo unit for 5 weeks that had the acrylic top & bottom plates. You're right about the looks but the acrylic shows up fingerprints quite a bit. I'm going to buy a separate acrylic top-plate so that I can ring the changes but it's no biggie. The novelty of sitting staring at an amp wears off eventually.

Besides, when you use the 6SN7 adapter the LED doesn't shine up through the valve any more so you don't lose too much with the aluminium top-plate. YMMV.

It does sound absolutely fantastic though & comes with some great tweaking options.

Two input gain settings, input capacitor bypass & three output resistance options. For my HD 650's I use low gain, bypassed caps & either low or medium output R.

As well as all that the new MkII version of the Ember has the supercharger, which was previously an option, built-in. This allows the use of high current valves. Input attenuation can be changed too to suit individual headphones. What this means is that it can be configured so that almost the full range of the volume control can be used.

There's also the option of fitting the 6SN7 adapter. This opens up a huge range of valve options.

The photo above has the adapter fitted. It also has a non-standard volume knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back