Should I exchange my Walkman for an iPod Nano 5G?
Mar 1, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #17 of 26
I have the ipod touch2g and the 5.5g video, and both of them have really crappy stock EQ settings. I think there's a way to make a custom one, through iTunes and saving it over one of the built-in settings, but I've never tried. I still prefer SQ of walkman over ipod EQ or not.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #18 of 26
actually, i remember there was a thread of complaints on how the new ipod nano "camara" sounded much worst then the 4th gen,

btw, from someone who owns a D2 and a S9, owned a S639 and a NW-HW5, and whos best friend is an apple fanatic, so i got to try out every ipod since the 3rd gen "classic", i can tell you, stick with the sony, better sound quality, better build quality, and better battery life,

i listened to the latest touch and classic in an apple store recently, it sounded dark and muddy with my IE8, i have a natural dislike for apple, but its not apple bashing, its just that i believe that the standarts they push are negative and move the market towards more restrictive players like the ipods and the zunes, where you need special software to handle your own music and you are limited in your choices of music stores,

and the player isnt good enough to justify that lock in, my S9 or D2 can wipe the floor with any ipod sound quality wise any day of the week, and so can my moms S739,

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #19 of 26
Just came back from Bestbuy with the Nano. I'm very impressed with the overall feel and look of the nano 5g. Originally, I didn't want to base my choice on appearance or any other features besides music quality but it's just impossible to ignore the iPod's appeal. After using it a couple of minutes, I like everything on the iPod (especially gapless playback) much better than the Walkman except for sound quality (the one thing I wanted, lol). After the iPod finishes charging, I'm going to try it out some more and come to a decision but I'm pretty sure I'm keeping the iPod.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #20 of 26
Come to Asia - watch the Sony, Cowon, Samsung, etc., adverts: sexy women, compromising situations, models. It is the same exact thing. It is called marketing and has no reason to be bashed.

Real audiophile companies market to old men, young teenage boys, and do far more in distorting the truth (in some ways). The fact is that the market for DAPs is massive: audiophiles comprise the tiniest portion for every company - the tinest. Most who buy a Sony or Apple do so because of name first - they have experience with it, then comes the image: and Apple, in its silly getup, is far more about real life than 8 models in layers of makeup.

Marketing exists in every company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mac-pc.png

It is not purposely aimed at the ipod/dap market, but the adds have become synonymous with apple products not only the mac. Having one nerd and one cool guy(representing the mac) says a lot without using words at all.

You can and always seem to argue that apple doesn't advertise it's products in a certain way. The thing you don't realize is that products are defined by a consumers interpretation of it's advertising and presentation of the product not only the literal wording or information given.

Apple makes the nano in 8 different colours and advertises with upbeat, catchy music and uses bright colours. That kind of advertising catches your eye and ears and makes you think "wow this is cool".

I played this nano add for my dad who is a tech tard and knows nothing about modern consumer electronics and his reaction was "that's cool".

YouTube - Apple iPod nano NEW 2008 Ad Extremely High Quality

Imo anyone who thinks/says ipods are not advertized as "cool" or "hip" is just posturing bs.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there's nothing problematic, but it doesn't have a custom EQ. If you don't really like the sound then there's no real method to tweak the sound besides using the stock EQ settings, which aren't that great.

Yep, about the only thing you can do for an Ipods sound is increase the volume level before you sync it to your ipod. It won't increase sound quality, but it sure will give you deafening levels of sound!
darthsmile.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #23 of 26
The horrid iPod EQ is really hard to suss. Sometimes it works great, and in fact with older music, there are no sizzling bits, but with new music, the bass settings are horridly bloated and sizzle.

The iTunes trick doesn't work. I've worked it out with my ears and by testing the output - nothing changes. The only way to enjoy the included presets without distortion is the replay or aacgain everything externally, then have at it.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #24 of 26
"i has everything i like in a dap except sound quality" which is basicly one of the most important things and a top 3 priority, you really earned my respect...

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #25 of 26
I think the term: sound quality has always been used for 'sound signature'. It's like saying: I like that car's look quality. Some will like it and others will not.

If the person you quoted said s/he liked the SQ, would it make a difference? S/he would be flamed because how in the hell could Sony be bested by Apple? Right? There is no way to get out of this situation.

The truth is that it is all personal and just as true that Sound Quality shouldn't be flapped around as much as it has been, especially here where expectations and slobber are rife with marketing-hungry fanboys of both sides of the hate/love group.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #26 of 26
Actually, after listening to the iPod for a while now, it sounds a lot better to my ears compared to my initial experience. In comparison to my Walkman, it produces a more natural, straightforward sound, whereas the Sony sounds a bit colored imo (don't get me wrong, I still really like the walkman). Honestly, I feel the SQ of the nano doesn't deserve the amount of bashings it gets from iPod haters. idk, could be that my ears aren't as sensitive as others but I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back