Should I exchange my Walkman for an iPod Nano 5G?
Mar 1, 2010 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

stratobeats

New Head-Fier
I'm really in a stuck situation here. I've been debating whether to get an S4 for some time now and, surprisingly, my gf must have thought I really wanted one - she got me a pair for my birthday today
dt880smile.png
. Now, I appreciate her gift a lot and I'm truly happy, but she presented me with a set of S4i's (iPod compatible).

I own a walkman e345 which I bought 3 weeks ago from BestBuy (30 day return policy). I really want to take advantage of the S4i buttons but I'm not too sure about the SQ of the nano 5g (though I have a mac, I've never owned an iPod before). I really don't give a **** about looking "cool" or "hip". Just how does the SQ and EQ of the 5g compare with the Walkman? I'd really appreciate your serious thoughts please. Thanks

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 26
I don't know where this 'hip' or 'cool' stuff comes from - never ever seen it before. I've never seen a person buy any DAP to look cool, ever.

The 5G is a pretty good device, but its sound, like iPods isn't really warm; it is neutral (should be in quotes); it puts out a good FR into low Ω earphones and has good battery life.

I've not heard your sony before, but I am sure it is similar to all the Sony's I've had except that the E series doesn't seem to hiss as badly as the A or S series (I own one of each). I like the Nano 5G (though I have spend only about 20 minutes with one, and I like the Sony E series too though it isn't as smooth as its bigger brothers.

But if you want to use the S4i, it might be best to either send the Sony back since you can or just use it with your mobile phone! both options work well. If you like your Sony, keep using it rather than spend money for another device.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 26
Other than an upsweep in bass at the bottom, the E series isn't a great player in the grand sweep of things. Sony, like iPod have no bass roll off with dynamic earphones and the E series has no hiss unlike the X, A, S series do. But, there are other lacks: gapless, accessory support.

They both sound good, but if you want a thicker, warmer sound, the Sony is the better one. 'Destroy' means nothing basshead. I agree that the Sony sounds good, but Sony have catered since 2002 to MP3 generation and in a way, gone lo-fi and just worked on bass performance rather than neutrality to the original sound wave.

I like it, but it isn't as 'audiophile' in the sense that it is further from the sound of the original than it is from iPod or Sansa.

If the MP3 market was crowded by silly companies who each advertise their sound being the best, Sony wouldn't 'sound' as good as it does now. It happened in MD days - Sony dominated over 80% of the market (more than iPod does now) so people, like now, said Sony sound sucked - it was too neutral, too thin.

The truth is that it was probably the closest to the original sound. But, Sharp, Panasonic, Kenwood and Aiwa carried the sound of the fans.

Marketing, (particularly saying your device sounds good and using maps, cool drawings, and big words to convince a simple market of audiophiles) is the key.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassheadd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony destroys ipods anyday of the week.

In your experience, from what you've read, or from your natural instinct to bash iPods?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassheadd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony destroys ipods anyday of the week.

Oh boy, here we go again with the "Sony iz teh best, ipodz r baddddd.".
rolleyes.gif

OP, the sound depends on your own ears. Personally, I'd buy an ipod, try it out for a few days, and see what I prefer. If I like one over the other, then return that one, then keep the one I like. And this is a forum of audio enthusiasts. I don't think anyone here buys things purely out of "fashion".

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 26
Does anyone else agree that the rolling eyes smiley needs to look less happy, more peeved?

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 26
Thanks everyone. I'll take your tip Ojsinnerz and try them both out. Oh, and I didn't really mean the fashion thing in any way important. I'm just used to people (and specific websites) devaluing the iPod as just a fashion statement.
Anyway, in terms of EQ, is there anything problematic about the nano (i.e Sansa clip/fuze)?

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 26
Nah, it's fine. It's just that some people think that they're being cool and trendy when they bash a popular mass-market product. The iPod does it's job very well, there is a reason why it is so popular. With your question, use whatever EQ gives you the most enjoyment.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by stratobeats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone. I'll take your tip Ojsinnerz and try them both out. Oh, and I didn't really mean the fashion thing in any way important. I'm just used to people (and specific websites) devaluing the iPod as just a fashion statement.
Anyway, in terms of EQ, is there anything problematic about the nano (i.e Sansa clip/fuze)?

Well, there's nothing problematic, but it doesn't have a custom EQ. If you don't really like the sound then there's no real method to tweak the sound besides using the stock EQ settings, which aren't that great.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know where this 'hip' or 'cool' stuff comes from - never ever seen it before.

mac-pc.png

It is not purposely aimed at the ipod/dap market, but the adds have become synonymous with apple products not only the mac. Having one nerd and one cool guy(representing the mac) says a lot without using words at all.

You can and always seem to argue that apple doesn't advertise it's products in a certain way. The thing you don't realize is that products are defined by a consumers interpretation of it's advertising and presentation of the product not only the literal wording or information given.

Apple makes the nano in 8 different colours and advertises with upbeat, catchy music and uses bright colours. That kind of advertising catches your eye and ears and makes you think "wow this is cool".

I played this nano add for my dad who is a tech tard and knows nothing about modern consumer electronics and his reaction was "that's cool".

YouTube - Apple iPod nano NEW 2008 Ad Extremely High Quality

Imo anyone who thinks/says ipods are not advertized as "cool" or "hip" is just posturing bs.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by stratobeats /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The EQ on ipods suck. The sony DAPs have a pretty decent EQ though, something I actually use.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 26
serious about no custom EQ settings? That makes me laugh considering it's got a video camera and a whole array of non-audio related features. You mean to say that there's nothing to "boost" my music? (on my walkman, I'm only satisfied with having clear stereo, Dynamic Normalizer on, plus a V shaped equalizer with clear bass set to +3 lol).
Still, I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back