Should I dump my old Thorens table?
Dec 2, 2009 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

glawton

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I have a Thorens - model TD 318 (I bought it around 1985). It's not been used much in the last 15-20 years and is in need of a tune-up (a good cleaning for sure and perhaps a new belt and cartridge/stylus). I'm wondering if I should just junk it and go get something a little more current. I'm not an audiophile but certainly am starting to improve my gear (just got a Marantz SA 8001 cd/sacd player and will be getting an int amp soon, too). Is this old Thorens worth the money to clean it up or is it just an old dog that needs retirement?
Thanks very much for your opinions.
Geoff

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 10
It is a good midrange turntable and definitely worth refurbishing.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 10
Yes, fix it up and start spinning vinyl again. Don't impulsively buy another turntable - give it some time. Try a modern cartridge and see how it goes.

Even if you end up selling the Thorens, you'll get more money for it if it has had a recent tuneup. And be sure to sell it if you decide to go with something else. I'm sure some member here would love to buy it as a first deck.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks, folks.
I was really hoping you'd say to hang in with it. I've treated it kindly over the years so it's in fine shape for the shape it's in.
And derkbmn - thanks for the offer for advice. I will probably take you up on that - I need so much of it!
Regards to all,
Geoff

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 10
Please don't call a turntable that I still use and enjoy "an old dog".

Actually, as others have stated, the TD318 is a great midrange table. It's pretty indestructable and sounds great. But best of all, it has an auto shutoff which my other two tables don't have. Snobbish audiophool tables, I say.

Unless it's been damaged, my guess is once it's cleaned up and plugged in, it just might work fine.

Good luck.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 10
I upgraded my Thorens 166 mkii bought used for $100. Linn Akito tone arm, new acrylic platter and Benz M2 cartridge and it sounds superb and not too midrange.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Unless you have no TT, or want to spend 1K+, get your Thorens (well respected brand) going, consider a new cartridge ( and belt if its got an older rubber belt)

Half the issues with spinning vinyl are the prepping and cleaning and storage of vinyl.

The fun parts are searching the vinyl sources, and piles, and of course the listening.

Use any table you have, do the other parts, then consider upgrades based on what you feel you need to improve after you get the feeling for it.

Myself, I spent upgrade money on a VPI 16.5 motorized vacuum record cleaner. Turn table upgrade will come later, if I find I need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back