Should I buy Zune HD? Or it would be waste of money?
Jan 11, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 12
Depends what are you trying to use it for? What are your sources? Zune Hds cannot play WAV or FLAC. It can however play WMA lossless fine. (which is what I'm stuck on). You are also stuck using the Zune software which isn't all that bad actually. Other than that its a great little DAP. SQ is pretty good. They are kinda flat tho. Also, they got this neat little game called audiosurf. Love that game on the PC lol. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 12
  Depends what are you trying to use it for? What are your sources? Zune Hds cannot play WAV or FLAC. It can however play WMA lossless fine. (which is what I'm stuck on). You are also stuck using the Zune software which isn't all that bad actually. Other than that its a great little DAP. SQ is pretty good. They are kinda flat tho. Also, they got this neat little game called audiosurf. Love that game on the PC lol. 

The Zune cought my eye because it's size is real ideal for me - not too big, not too small.
My main use of it is home use and maybe maybe some sport use - like running
What is the best MP3 player i can get for 170$? 

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 12
I would like to know more about the Zune, I just purchased a brand-new one from my girls mom and want to know if I should keep it or sell it. Want to know if it sounds better than the Sansa Fuze or Ipod 5.5G?

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 12
First Zune HD sounds much better than an ipod classic. Since you got yours already keep it for sometime and see how it goes. Meantime if you can find someone to lend you the other 2, you will know for sure, otherwise you can always buy & resell.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 12
I don't know if I would agree with that. It will come down to your personal preferences The 7th gen classic is a very good sounding dap. As audiobreeder noted try them for yourself and decide which you prefer.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 12
FWIW, I have had/own several high end Walkmans (S Master amp),, clip zips, iPod 5, 5.5, and 7th gen video/classics, Nano 3rd & 4th gens, iPhone 4, 4s, 3G, & 5, Nexus S with Voodoo (has Wolfson), Xperia Z, Zune 30, 120, Fiio X3, and have the HiFiman HM-601 and recently bought a Zune HD. 

It's pretty flat, not as neutral as the Zune 120, but the cleanest with the best micro details of all the Zunes. Great imaging, good separation, and a higher output volume wise than a clip. Colorfly c3 etc. (mw)

I agree it is handily better than any iPod/iPhone and certainly worth owning if you want a great player with the benefits you will have to forgo in the "audiophile" grade players. The only consumer product that rivals it in my mind is maybe the Walkman F806 that I have heard, but this again, has more power than even that for my iem's.

I wish they still made new ones to be honest. Everyone of them I have ever owned ALWAYS improved over the older model SQ wise which is more than I can say of any other company I have had experience with (as far as never going backwards).

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 12
the zune hd mp3 player was pretty badass. especially w/ the zune all-you-can-listen to music subscription for like $10ish a month. however, I don't know if even still have that service anymore. I have switched to spotify & that's been chill.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #9 of 12
  FWIW, I have had/own several high end Walkmans (S Master amp),, clip zips, iPod 5, 5.5, and 7th gen video/classics, Nano 3rd & 4th gens, iPhone 4, 4s, 3G, & 5, Nexus S with Voodoo (has Wolfson), Xperia Z, Zune 30, 120, Fiio X3, and have the HiFiman HM-601 and recently bought a Zune HD. 

It's pretty flat, not as neutral as the Zune 120, but the cleanest with the best micro details of all the Zunes. Great imaging, good separation, and a higher output volume wise than a clip. Colorfly c3 etc. (mw)

I agree it is handily better than any iPod/iPhone and certainly worth owning if you want a great player with the benefits you will have to forgo in the "audiophile" grade players. The only consumer product that rivals it in my mind is maybe the Walkman F806 that I have heard, but this again, has more power than even that for my iem's.

I wish they still made new ones to be honest. Everyone of them I have ever owned ALWAYS improved over the older model SQ wise which is more than I can say of any other company I have had experience with (as far as never going backwards).

Wow, a Zune beats an Ipod 5.5G with LOD? I've heard Zunes had good SQ but not that good! I wanted to just sell it since it was still in the box but have to admit that I am interested in how it sounds!

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 12

Wow, a Zune beats and Ipod 5.5G with LOD? I've heard Zunes had good SQ but not that good! I wanted to just sell it since it was still in the box but have to admit that I am interested in how it sounds

In regards to the iPod LOD, I did it on the 5th gen video, and the 7th gen classic. But I have not heard an iMod or what not (with caps). The 7th gen w/a amp wasn't as warm as I find the Zune HD, but I think it's just the warmth that Wolfson dacs have in general. They are all (to my ears) warm to varying degrees with the least warm Zune being the 80/120GB. 

I wasnt trying to say an iPod w/a LOD and amp cant compare/beat a Zune etc, as I have not heard every combination 
redface.gif
, but for sure, headphone out for headphone out the Zune is the clear winner. That I will stand by.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 12
Most here at head-fi will have a different opinion or be partial to a certain brand. I swore by Cowon for a long time, the iPod 7th gen classic via LOD to the portaphile 627 is hands down one of the best sq for a portable until I received my iBasso/Hibino HDP-R10. However As I stated before the best thing is for you to listen to the devices you are interested in and make your own decision.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 12
  the zune hd mp3 player was pretty badass. especially w/ the zune all-you-can-listen to music subscription for like $10ish a month. however, I don't know if even still have that service anymore. I have switched to spotify & that's been chill.

If you have a Zune HD and the Zune client, yes you can still use the $99 a year all you can listen to subscription and load those tracks on to a Zune or Windows Phone 7 device. The service has been re-branded Xbox Music, but logging in to the Zune client with the subscribed account gives you the same access.

I have a Zune HD 64 and it's still a great player. The downsides are that the device and client software are both end of life, so if you break it, it's gone.

I still pack mine and a Fiio X3. Yes I get the snide "why don't you just use your phone" comments, but of course the people that ask the question already "don't get it".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back