Should I buy the Yuin PK2?
Sep 16, 2007 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

esbenm

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a clix 2 which is a great upgrade from my old ipod mini. Now I want some better 'phones.

Outside, riding my bike to work I use sennheiser px100 / mx400. At home I also use cx300.

I am looking for a replacement for the mx400 (earbuds).
The Yuin PK2 seem like a good option judging from the head-fi forums.
The PK1 would probably be overkill outside and with the clix unamped.

But before I spend 80$ on a totally unknown asian brand:

Are PK2 a huge upgrade from MX400?

PK2 compared to CX300?

Any alternative suggestions in the same price range?

How is PK2 with rock (White Stripes, Red Hot Chili Peppers), hip hop (Common, Kanye West) and stuff like good old Johnny Cash?

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 26
i say for something that you use for outside (biking) you should get something cheaper that you won't feel bad about trashing...lol

get the pk3s. They are still better than the mx400 and are cheap

$25 shipped because of the group buy.

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 26
PK2s would do well, although PK3s are cheaper...

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 26
pk2's are great. I have not heard how big the difference is between the pk3 and pk2, but if it others say it is small then it should be great. The pk2's have great soundstage. They also have no isolation which some hate and some love (you should like it for biking, as do I). So imo, go for the pk2, they are great. If others end up saying the pk3 is almost as good as the pk2, then go for that. My yuins are great.

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Are PK2 a huge upgrade from MX400?

PK2 compared to CX300?

Yes, PK2 is a huge upgrade from MX400. PK3 is also an upgrade, but not huge (only a small step up).

SQ wise, PK2 is better than CX300, than of course, CX300 give a bit of isolation.

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 26
also, when you are outdoors, the sq of open earbuds are so hard to tell apart. so I say go with the cheaper one.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 26
I don't know about the pk3's, but I too wanted an upgrade from my mx400 (the right bud stopped working right after I ordered the pk2's! I had a premonition it seems) I didn't take a chance I went straight to the pk2's and I'm glad I did they sound great. All I can say is that the sound is HUGE compared to the mx400's, they really don't sound like usual earbuds. There's a definite improvement in the bass and the vocals, they're clear and warm. I like the sound more than the px100's, it's more upfront and detailed imo. I thought the y cord would be a bit too long but I'm quite tall so they're actually just right for when I have my pcdp in my jean pocket and I'm standing. Also they don't tend to move in my ear even without the foamies on and the foamies don't get off easily either compared to the mx400's. I live in Canada it took less than a week to get here, I got free shipping and they made sure I didn't have to pay any customs fee... The only downside so far is that I can hear some glitches that I didn't before

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 26
Pk3's are a GREAT investment. I suggest getting both
tongue.gif
. The Pk3's have a more warm fun sound than the PK2/Pk1 although not as detailed and resolving.

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 26
PK2's are great. I have both the PK1 and PK2. Both may be use unamped out of a nano (probably similar power output to your clix). The PK2 is great, just that the PK1 has nicer bass and more detail. For casual listening, it's hard to go wrong with the PK2.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 26
Thanks for all the input!

Judging from all this I will get the PK2; I will also be using them indoors, where the sq improvement over PK3 should make me happy.

Is there any group buy on PK2 going on right now? I can't seem to find the thread on it. Or can you email the guys at head-direct and get some sort of discount?

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 26
Sep 17, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 26
I just placed the order for the PK2, now I look forward to getting them!

I really hope I will be happy with these.

Fang's service seems great so far!

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #14 of 26
The PK2's are the most impressive earbuds I've ever heard for the price, or ever, really, besides the PK1.

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PK2's are great. I have both the PK1 and PK2. Both may be use unamped out of a nano (probably similar power output to your clix). The PK2 is great, just that the PK1 has nicer bass and more detail. For casual listening, it's hard to go wrong with the PK2.

Just curious, which is better unamped, the PK1's or the PK2's? I know the PK1's won't reach their full potential without an amp, but even unamped are they better than the PK2's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back