Should i buy the new HD 518? (Any input graciously appreciated)
Nov 2, 2011 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ztreb185

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,  I found a deal for the relatively new Sennheiser HD 518 for only $100.00  Should i grab these? 

For reference I previously owned the HD 428, Sony XB500, as well as the Shure SRH440.  Short and simple, for the Sony XB500, too much bass muddy mids and highs.  Next I thought the HD428 was extremely comfortable since i do wear glasses, and it had a very non fatiguing sound with clear mids and highs which I all appreciated very much.  But on the downside i had to return them due to the extremely brittle plastic feeling and small bass.  Next I tried out the Shure SRH440.  The bass was fine and had some decent impact and was sufficient, mids and highs were OH VERY there.  The extremely shallow cups caused extreme physical discomfort and that sharp peak in the trebles killed it for me though.  I felt like they were a bit too bright and edgy for my sensitive ears and felt quite fatiguing for me.  I really appreciated the HD 428s mids and highs, maybe with a bit more soundstage, and bass thats not overkill like the Sony XB models but a bit stronger than the SRH 440s.  Im only willing to spend $100 on something that fits the profile and i found the HD 518 on sale.  Would these fit my needs?  Would greatly appreciate any detailed input. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back