Should I buy the Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro 250 ohm?
Mar 5, 2014 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

gr34td3str0y3r

100+ Head-Fier
I would like some sub 300$ closed headphones for work. (A little over 300 is okay. I was looking for sub 200 open cans and spent 220 on x1s because 20 extra bucks was worth it).

At work I am running foobar, flac, odac, o2 amp.
I work in an open office with 6 other guys. No dividers. Some leakage is okay, they are cool guys, but open back are 100% out.

I have had my eyes on the dt-770s. But I just read that they are not even made any more. I was going to wait 6 months or more. But should I snag them now. I only ask because I don't really have anything else on my short list for closed back cans. I really want to get a hybrid tube amp and/or diy tubed amp and supposedly the dt-770 responds well to tube amping.

The type of music I listen to doesn't really matter. IDM and electronic is my forte but now that I'm getting into audiophile stuff I have gone back to more jazz and classical. More rock.

Should I snag the dt-770 and deal with my wife's wrath? Or wait six months like planned and hope the price doesn't go up or snag something else. I'm still researching, and I'm still scanning head-fi, but I don't really see any other closed back cans that excite me or are a clear choice. I don't want EASY to drive. I want something I can have some fun with [with (tube) amps] and that is a contrast to my m100 and x1.

Edit: read DavidMahler's review of the dt-770 and he gives it B for the price, but he doesn't give any sub 300 closed back better value marks.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 20
Not a lot of high-end closed back headphones. The DT770's is probably the best you will get. Not that they are bad just, you know, they're not open back. They are a great option as far as closed back's go. They can be found on amazon for about $150. Keep in mind that it is not a detachable cable, and it's almost 10 feet. If you want something with a detachable cable look at either the M50x's for $169 or the UE6000's which go for about $99. As far as quality goes, the DT770's are the best, followed by the M50x's and then the UE6000's. The UE's do come with a few cool features like a carrying pouch, active noise cancellation (although I've been told it sounds best without it. Nonetheless, still good to have.), as well as the ability to plug another pair of headphones into them to share music. Your pick. Tell me what you think. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 20
Not a lot of high-end closed back headphones. The DT770's is probably the best you will get. Not that they are bad just, you know, they're not open back. They are a great option as far as closed back's go. They can be found on amazon for about $150. Keep in mind that it is not a detachable cable, and it's almost 10 feet. If you want something with a detachable cable look at either the M50x's for $169 or the UE6000's which go for about $99. As far as quality goes, the DT770's are the best, followed by the M50x's and then the UE6000's. The UE's do come with a few cool features like a carrying pouch, active noise cancellation (although I've been told it sounds best without it. Nonetheless, still good to have.), as well as the ability to plug another pair of headphones into them to share music. Your pick. Tell me what you think. 

At work I don't care about detachable cable. At home where I game the m100 and x1 are perfect. And my boom mic fits both. That doesn't matter at works t all. 10 feet is long. I can coil that up. I'm looking for sq and sq isolation at work. I know! 150$!!! I live in japan. They are 175 in japan and 175 form the USA shipped to japan so still not too bad.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 20
At work I don't care about detachable cable. At home where I game the m100 and x1 are perfect. And my boom mic fits both. That doesn't matter at works t all. 10 feet is long. I can coil that up. I'm looking for sq and sq isolation at work. I know! 150$!!! I live in japan. They are 175 in japan and 175 form the USA shipped to japan so still not too bad.

Then I definitely suggest you go ahead and get the DT770's. They sound perfect for you. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 20
Then I definitely suggest you go ahead and get the DT770's. They sound perfect for you. 

Are they really discontinued?
Is the price going to go up? There seems to be plenty available.
The sony MA-900 are discontinued in the USA and the price has risen ( and amazon lists them as discontinued)
I have seen many other cans that are supposedly no more but still sold on amazon for decent prices.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 20
Beyers website mentions nothing about them being discontinued. They are a good competitive headphone. No reason I see why they would be discontinued. BTW, do you prefer on ear or over ear? Also what is your price range? Thanks.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 20
Are they really discontinued?

Why don't you email Beyerdynamic and ask? That seems the simple solution to make sure you get the correct answer.

Is the price going to go up? There seems to be plenty available.

How could anyone here be able to predict that for you? However, you can use camelcamelcamel.com to see what the pricing history has been on Amazon.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 20
No japanese headphones thats better than the DT770 pro? Audio technicas?
Pro are still sold..what has stopped selling are the premium versions.

On amazon the COPs are quite cheap in japan.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 20
Beyers website mentions nothing about them being discontinued. They are a good competitive headphone. No reason I see why they would be discontinued. BTW, do you prefer on ear or over ear? Also what is your price range? Thanks.
they are no long on the Beyer website. Check for you self and see. I read they were discontinued in 2012 for the new tesla closed cans which are sadly 3 times the price.

@cel4145 good advice. I will email them and check out the website.

Edit: damn 154 seems like it's a really good price.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 20
Edit: damn 154 seems like it's a really good price.

Did you find that out by trying camelcamelcamel? I hate that site because it urges me to buy when I can confirm that a price is "really" low. The deal monger in me prevails. (lol)

The other way I confirm that is by googling the make/model of a product with slickdeals to see if any notices of low prices come up.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 20
Camelcamelcamel does not seem to be accurate. At least not according to my tests. They are available on amazon for about $150. That's about as good as they come. Unless you are looking at other options, I wouldn't wait to long for the price to go down (I don't think it's going down).

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 20
Thanks for the advice and feedback guys.
Heard back from Beyer (in only 2 hours). They do indeed still make them but no longer sell direct from Beyer. So I'm going to hold out on them. My Fidelio X1s just got here :)

Kinda sad that Beyer got back to me in less than two hours. My m100s are cracked and I emailed v-moda 6 days ago. Still no response. Need to call them but to lazy to do so. Emailed the authorized dealer I bought them from 3 days ago. No response.
(That's kinda why I got the x1s. I wanted them anyway but need a something nice while my m1oos are getting replaced)

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 20

Uh. What? There are lots of amazing closed back headphones, and the DT770s are NOT the kings of the mountain. *** the Denon D7000's run like $1900!

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #15 of 20
Sorry, I was referring to that price range. It wasn't intended as a general statement. Sorry for the confusion. :D

Keep smiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back