Should I Buy the ATH-L3000s?
Sep 18, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #62 of 64
3 years ago I paid $1800 for a stock used pair and sold them 1 year ago for about $2300 and then bought my balanced pair for about $2500. Both pairs were probably at about 8.5 on the Audigon scale

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #63 of 64
The pair I was looking at went for $2500 in new condition, but without the case (supposedly a display window model). I guess that was a rather good deal then, eh?

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #64 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If in doubt about the Ed9, try a Pro/Proline 750.

I only just recieved my Ed9 yesterday, so I can't say with certainty how much the Ed9 and Pro 750 will end up differing, but from my listening on the Ed9 so far they definitely seem to share a house sound.

Sort of like how a SR60 and RS-1 have basically the same house sound, the latter just being a heavily refined version of the former. And Pro 750's can be had used for around $200 and onsold to little/no financial loss.

I understand the rationale behind this suggestion of trying the 750. But there is such a major difference in so many areas, that I think the reality is that this would only confuse the issue and mislead the OP as to what the Edition 9s are capable of, especially given his reference point of the refinement of the R-10s.

I've heard my balanced Edition 9s on the SDS XLR (sounded great), but not side by side with the R-10s. But I did spend the better part or an hour going back and forth with Ray's balanced R-10s and my balanced Edition 9s on the B-52 and to a lesser extent the Apache. While I wasn't using metal, I was using some classic rock. It starting at about 9am of meet and it was quiet enough for some critical listening, and I had no one bothering me--so you know it was early!

Once I got past my typical (happens every time) "wow" reaction to the R-10s, I really settled into the music. I quit selectively listening to the R-10 midrange and soundstage and listened more to the overall presentation of the music. And after awhile of going between the two hp, I realized the relative lack of bass of the R-10 was bothering me and this became quite pronounced. Also I was less involved with the music, which I think means the PRAT was missing for me. The Edition 9s lacked the extreme width, depth, detail, and wonderful midrange refinement of the R-10s. As an audiophile, the Edition 9s suffered if I went into analyzing the components of the soundstage, instrument separation, and mid-range tone. (And ever other dynamic headphone I've heard suffers in this same comparison.) But when I listened as a music lover to one of my favorite albums, the Edition 9s really rocked with great bass and PRAT. (And I don't mean to imply that the Edition 9s didn't have good soundstage, etc--just not in comparison to the R-10s.) Bottom line is that I was much more involved with the music with the Edution 9s. I came away thinking that the Edition 9s were the better hp for the enjoyment of rock as they were more viscerally involving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back