Should I buy M2Tech Hiface 2+ Related Questions
Oct 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

QuixoticHero

New Head-Fier
A couple questions in one, from a long time head- fi lurker, first time poster:

I'm thinking of getting a M2tech Hiface 2 USB- S/PDIF converter (or a similar unit) partly in order to be able to use a coaxial cable- most likely a SilverStar 75 BNC cable from Black Cat. (And partly to future proof myself- laptops with optical out are, in my experience, rare). This would connect my laptop to my Beresford TC 7250 DAC (yes Beresford... bought for performance to price ratio, not because of Stan's reputation). My question concerns the M2Tech Hiface being asynchronous. Since my DAC is NOT asynchronous would using the M2tech Hiface effectively transform my DAC into an asychronous DAC... (I'm presuming there is no bottleneck between the M2tech and the DAC).

Secondly, does anyone have a similar experience of upgrading from TOSLINK optical S/PDIF to coaxial? Would the combination of the M2tech and better coaxial cable (BNC 75ohm) likely produce an audible difference? Part of me is all about upgrading my signal path, although this would end up costing $300+ (more than my DAC!). On the other hand I recognize the value of USB- S/PDIF converters as they effectively convert any old netbook or laptop or even NAS (synology ds 411j in my case) into a decent transport.

My setup:

Foobar WASAPI- toslink- Beresford TC 7250- Modded HD 555 (Soon to be HD 650)

Sorry for the slightly wordy post.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 10
With your equipment if you have a Toslink connection that is working I see no reason to spend the extra money on a usb connection. The "upgrade" to Hiface Two should not cost you $300. The Hiface can be had for less than $200 and you can get a 75ohm coax cable for $20 or less. I doubt very much that you would hear any improvement over your Toslink connection. It would require some serious equipment upstream for you to hear a difference. By the way, I own a Hiface Two.

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 10
The 300 figure assumes $200 for the Hiface 2 and 175+ Shipping for the Silver Star 75 coaxial cable.  I very much try to buy the best performance to price ratio products, the Black Cat Silver Star, and its predecessor the Veloce have gotten good reviews (on 6moons). I realize though, that with the entry level DAC it is sort of silly to be upgrading cables right now. I'm thinking of doing some DIY and upgrading the TC 7250 op amps from the stock NE5532P to LM4562NAs, as well as maybe getting some more advanced mods done in the future. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 10
I assure you I wouldn't pay anything over 175, and I assure you I don't buy cables just to look at them.  But I will take your advice and look around for cheaper cables. However the reason I'm not going with any ol' cable is that with a good BNC cable you get a true 75 ohm cable, which is harder to get through RCA (most RCA plugs are 40ohm, 50ohm) . Having mismatched ohmages has a discernible effect on audio quality. Perhaps you have a suggestion for a decently priced true 75 BNC cable? Also, keep in mind I'll buy the cable and be set for 15, 20 years...don't worry I won't be changing cables because of what colours are in fashion.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
I assure you I wouldn't pay anything over 175, and I assure you I don't buy cables just to look at them.  But I will take your advice and look around for cheaper cables. However the reason I'm not going with any ol' cable is that with a good BNC cable you get a true 75 ohm cable, which is harder to get through RCA (most RCA plugs are 40ohm, 50ohm) . Having mismatched ohmages has a discernible effect on audio quality. Perhaps you have a suggestion for a decently priced true 75 BNC cable? Also, keep in mind I'll buy the cable and be set for 15, 20 years...don't worry I won't be changing cables because of what colours are in fashion.

If you check my location you will see why I can't really suggest a vendor for your cable. I order many things online from outside my country. Something like this cable is available here at local pro audio shops. That is where I would go to buy a bnc cable since it is really pro audio gear. If it is good enough for a recording studio than I guess it will work in my system.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 10
I think the Hiface will definately give a better SPDIF signal than an internal or onboard soundcard will, mostly due to less jitter and probably less interference aswell. It being asynchronous should prevent the extra jitter caused by using the PC as the clock.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 10
I recently got a Hiface Two and have noticed a marked improvement over using the toslink connection  And I'm only using a $7 Belkin coaxial cable.  Bought both on Amazon for under $200.  The other real improvement came from using the beta of Audirvana Plus with direct/integer enabled.  Gives a clean black background and better separation.   I may upgrade my cable to a Blue Jean cable for about $25 but would not spend any more than that.

Hiface Two
http://www.amazon.com/HiFace-Hi-End-Output-Interface-connector/dp/B007VD3U10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350844736&sr=8-1&keywords=hiface+two
Cable
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-AV20100-06-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B0001XGQV8/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1350844796&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=belken+coaxial

Audirvana Plus beta 
http://audirvana.com/?p=304

Blue Jean cable
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Edit: sorry Audirvana is only for mac.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 10
Has anyone compared the Hiface 2 with other USB/SPDIF converters? I'm going to move the Rega DAC to my headphone setup, and am looking for a USB/SPDIF converter from the MAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back